Author Topic: Learning to Foil behind 5 Horsepower Row Boat  (Read 9918 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Learning to Foil behind 5 Horsepower Row Boat
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:33:14 AM »
I brought my foil to New England.  Water was still cold and surf was flat so I said to my 15 year old daughter Ruby

"You want to try foiling behind the fishing boat?"

She was game.  I suggested it would take 20 attempts.  She kept counting and started to lift off after ~ 10 attempts.  Was flying by 20.  It probably took 90 minutes. 

We were getting a combination of stink-eye and awe from the shoreline.  We might only get a few at bats before someone calls in the gestapo.
  • Easy Foiler 6' 6"
  • GoFoil Maliko 200
  • 12 ft Aluminum Starcraft
  • 5 HP Mercury outboard
https://youtu.be/pfxgzVyuiw8
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:19:57 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to Foil behind a 5 horsepower row boat
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:37:34 AM »
This was truly a Jerry-Rigged set up. 

$6 rope from the basement.  Handle cut from a 1" piece of PVC from my old bike-surf rack stuffed with pipe insulation to make sure it floated.  Rope tied to back of boat with double bowline.  20 lbs barbell in the bow to keep the nose of the boat down.  GoPro on my hat while I navigated and filmed at the same time.     

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Learning to Foil behind a 5 horsepower row boat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »
Sweet!  That is pretty close to my tow vessel....I am using a west marine dinghy with a small outboard.  Works good for what it is. 
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to Foil behind 5 Horsepower Row Boat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
Awesome!
Trooper Daugher!

Did you try it Beasho?
Do you think it is more difficult than learning in the surf?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
Yes, my question too: Do you think learning behind a boat is easier than learning in the surf?  I would think so. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:13:54 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 04:37:36 PM »
Wow! Impressive. I detect real talent and athleticism! Her falls in the first half of the video b4 she starts flying look like a rug getting pulled out. Also it was a good demonstration of how tho kick the board out from underneath you. You can really see the elevator lift as the board picks up speed from being kicked out.
  Then when she starts flying it looks like you have to balance on top of a single stilt! Full 3D movement.
Don't know why anyone would stink face you guys. looked pretty empty out there.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »
Awesome, this is how I had my first foiling experience, almost identical equipment and crashes!  Talented girl!!!   8)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »
Yes, small boats are great for foiling.  We have been flying with a 4 hp outboard on a 10 ft aluminum row boat/skiff.  It helps to surf to the outside while the boat does large circles.  Counter-clockwise for Goofy footers and clockwise for Regular footers.  The lack of power gives you the opportunity to hop up(un-weight board) into the flight which is a lot like trying to fly while catching a small ocean wave.  My son, who barely surfs(possibly a benefit) was able to fly the foil on his second try.  I think he was more shocked than I was.  Maybe not.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 05:37:50 PM »
Seems like more than enough speed.  I was surprised just how little speed is required to get the Maliko 200 flying.  Pretty awesome way to learn how to control the foil. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
Very fun. I tried something similar at the Willamette SUP Cup with an inflatable boat and a little outboard. We didn't have much rope and no handle, flus the water was brutally cold and I had no wet suit. Other than that it was perfect.

A couple of things if you do that again. First--make a tether for the back of the boat. She was able to fly when she was on the opposite side of the boat from the rope. If you make a simple Y tether she can foil on both sides. If she's on the same side as the rope it will pull the boat sideways and you'll have to compensate, which makes the wake turbulent.

Second. Get her out of that surf stance an exaggerate facing forward, rotating shoulders and trunk. Again, she's able to foil when the boat is pulling towards her toes, which compensates for the surf stance. Watch which way she's falling and when she falls and you'll see this.

But how cool is it that she can get up and get the feeling. This little experiment is gonna cost you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 04:24:23 AM »
Yea... Go Ruby!

Ruby is totally stoked and goes hard at it.... really fun to surf with!
So, selling off your SUPs, once you both switch to full time foil?  ;D

Oh... get a bigger motor..... I'll be dropping by with a hockey mask, shoulder pads and cup, for a run at this  ;D ;D

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 05:18:42 AM »
To help with chest rotation have her hold the rope with her back hand
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:23:06 AM by windwakerider »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
Yes, small boats are great for foiling.  We have been flying with a 4 hp outboard on a 10 ft aluminum row boat/skiff.  It helps to surf to the outside while the boat does large circles.  Counter-clockwise for Goofy footers and clockwise for Regular footers.  The lack of power gives you the opportunity to hop up(un-weight board) into the flight which is a lot like trying to fly while catching a small ocean wave.  My son, who barely surfs(possibly a benefit) was able to fly the foil on his second try.  I think he was more shocked than I was.  Maybe not.

You are Correct! 

We went out again last night.  Counter-Clockwise it was. 

I am realizing that my boat is SLOWER than I thought.  The cruising speed is right at or below optimum for this foil.  We maxed out using the TRACE on the board at 12.7 mph.  This is relatively slow, for me, maybe OK for RUBY as evidence by her ability to foil.  She was outrunning the rope at times. 

New propeller has been ordered hopefully this expands the options.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »
I postulated, and I think we confirmed, that foiling in the motor wash reduced the density of the medium and prevented flying.

Water is 800X as dense as air.  When I am surfing and pass through 'whitewater' I can feel the foil stumbling with its lifting capacity.

I instructed Ruby to fly the green water to either side of the wake.  Much more up-LIFTING experience.  Good physics examples at work. 

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
I postulated, and I think we confirmed, that foiling in the motor wash reduced the density of the medium and prevented flying.

Water is 800X as dense as air.  When I am surfing and pass through 'whitewater' I can feel the foil stumbling with its lifting capacity.

I instructed Ruby to fly the green water to either side of the wake.  Much more up-LIFTING experience.  Good physics examples at work.

I'm thinking its the turbulence in the wake as well - the green water would be "still" and flow more predictably.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal