Author Topic: Ever tried these strange booties?  (Read 5836 times)

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ever tried these strange booties?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
The Vibram sole looks grippy and protective for walking over rocks (i.e. Trails), not sure I could get my crooked toes to cooperate getting them on....
What I really need is a high-top, sand, muck and pebble proof bootie with plenty of sole. We spend summers on a lake in the Sierras where the trail to the water is 100 yd downhill, quite rough and the bottom of the lake is granite sand to mucky; my feet sink in 4 to 6 inches.
I've tried my O'niell Superfreak lowtops and  my Speedo water shoes with socks which shield my feet from the sand and pebbles, but, there's gotta be a better KSO bootie available.
Any suggestions?

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
Thanks; I think I'll try the round toe version of the Heat 3m. That way I can add insole or orthodics if needed to make better for walking over gravel and rocks....

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 07:03:24 AM »
Just a quick word on round toe vs split toe booties.  I find that split toe helps keep the bootie from twisting on the foot in 5mm and under.  Booties over 5mm seem to be stiff enough on their own and work fine in a round toe design (for me). 

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 12:51:41 AM »
For your consideration, as I am just an impartial user for 3.5 months, est. 4+ hours/week

Kayak booties, Astral Hiyak

Not for warmth, unless worn with neo socks
Easy on and off
Water drain holes so your feet are not carrying water
Durable and protective in even bigger beach rocks (1 foot boulders, e.g.) while carrying gear
Take inserts as desired, no heel lift
Lots of toe room
Will not rotate around your foot
Lace with velcro for custom fit
Great grip without being tough on the board deck
Still will slip on wet, algae covered rocks
Dry reasonably soon if left outside in the sun and wind
Can be used for other things
Flexible enough to sit on your heels w/o grief, if so desired
Cannot be used with footstraps without serious stretching of the strap neo covers

From mfr:

https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/footwear/unisex/hiyak#technical_details

Intended Use: Water, Boat
Uppers: Hydrophobic Canvas with 1060D ballistic nylon reinforcement rand. High top padded ankle protection with semi-rigid heel cup. 3mm quilted spacer-mesh lining. Hidden laces with Velcro Over-Flap. Reflective logo at heel and tongue.Water resistant laces.
Midsole: Removable, 7mm thick 45C closed cell EVA foam.
Outsole: G.ss highest friction G Rubber compound with razor-siping and drain holes toe and heel. 3.5mm thick. Non-marking.
Foot to Ground Distance: 12 mm heel, 11 mm ball.
Weight/shoe: Men's 9 = 273g (9.632 oz)
Sizes: Men’s US 7-13 (Whole sizes only)
Fit: True to size (For half size, size down)
gss

The “ss” is for “Super Sticky” and we can confidently say that outsoles made with it provide the best grip in water-sports. Unlike other maximum friction compounds, G.ss is non-marking and provides good abrasion resistance. Its low durometer (measure of hardness) lessens impact and provides excellent conformity to surfaces.

flex grip outsole

This rubber allows excellent flexibility and sensory feedback for heightened grip and balance. Maximized surface area for high friction on smooth surfaces. Divided lugs for substantial grip on loose dirt. Razor Siping maximizes edges that bite into surfaces upon flexion.

water ready

All Astral shoes have a special relationship with water. Every component, from the thread to the laces are critically evaluated and chosen for its ability to hold up after constant soaking, to shed water, and not to accumulate funk. Many models have engineered drainage for water to come out while minimizing entry of silt.

balanced geometry

We believe that a foot’s position in a shoe should be similar to when barefoot. This allows excellent balance and biomechanically natural lifestyle.

Foot-beds are essentially level (only 1mm drop from heel to toe ) and provide medium arch support.  Tapered instep and heel area for better foothold and control. Wide forefoot allows your feet and toes to spread out for stability.

gss

The “ss” is for “Super Sticky” and we can confidently say that outsoles made with it provide the best grip in water-sports. Unlike other maximum friction compounds, G.ss is non-marking and provides good abrasion resistance. Its low durometer (measure of hardness) lessens impact and provides excellent conformity to surfaces.

flex grip outsole

This rubber allows excellent flexibility and sensory feedback for heightened grip and balance. Maximized surface area for high friction on smooth surfaces. Divided lugs for substantial grip on loose dirt. Razor Siping maximizes edges that bite into surfaces upon flexion.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal