Author Topic: Ever tried these strange booties?  (Read 5792 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ever tried these strange booties?
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
I'm looking for the most natural and realistic booties that don't mess me up while surfing.  I'm planning to surf Dogpatch and Trails (both hard on the feet) a lot this summer, and typical booties mess up my footwork.  Don't need warmth, just need protection.  Have you tried these?  They seem like they might be better, or maybe they are just weird, don't know. 

http://us.vibram.com/shop/fivefingers/men/new-releases/v-aqua-mens/M73.html?dwvar_M73_color=Black&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZypkJrM2wIVlAR9Ch23SwfVEAEYASAAEgLXh_D_BwE#start=1
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:32:25 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ever tried these strange booties?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
I hate “classic” booties because mostly they squeeze my toes together for that pointy ballet shoe effect, and I hate the feel and loss of a stable platform. FiveFingers work like your feet do so you can grip with the toes. By far my favorite bootie for places where you do need foot protection. 

They aren’t warm enough for very cold water. That Aqua looks cool. The Signa, being thinner, may give you even better feel for your board.

You do need to get the right size (see website and do measure). Also takes a bit of practice to get them on.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
I've used the Body Glove 3T Max water shoe for many years sup surfing. I've gone on hikes with it too. Only thing is they last about 6 months since I'm on rocky breaks usually. I believe they are lighter than the Vibram and have better drainage system.

https://m.swimoutlet.com/p/body-glove-mens-3t-max-water-shoe-8125061/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:57:02 AM by SaMoSUP »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
I have them and like the way they feel/fit but rarely use them. My biggest issue with them....get some sand in by your toes and you have to take them off. A chunk of grit will doubtless get stuck in a spot where it hurts. While it does get easier to get them on and off with time (really sucks at 1st) it still takes more time than a regular booty and is too frequent. Those Body Glove look easier, I may have to get a pair. My local is all cobbles now after this winter.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 03:37:34 AM »
Zoo, when I need foot protection (not that often) I use the FiveFingers KSO.  From 10 feet it looks very similar to the v-Aqua but it's a more closed design which helps keep sand and grit out. 

The main thing about this style shoe is, does it fit your particular foot.  You need to try them on for sure.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:15:06 AM »
I use those Body Glove booties too. They're pretty good, but I agree with Stoney's criticisms. Sometimes a tiny piece of grit can really annoy the hell out of you.

https://paddlexaminer.com/2017/08/body-glove-watershoes/#.WyEKuS2ZOCQ
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
I have to wear compression to avoid leg cramps, but I've found an unexpected benefit to wearing compression knee socks--I can walk over cobble and gravel without pain. You don't need a thick sole, just a little cushioning, and a sock is enough. Completely avoids the grit problem too. And of course, stylish as hell. They make putting your wetsuit on much easier. Traction is good, and foot feel is natural. I have a dozen pair of booties and I hardly ever wear them now.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
I have to wear compression to avoid leg cramps, but I've found an unexpected benefit to wearing compression knee socks--I can walk over cobble and gravel without pain. You don't need a thick sole, just a little cushioning, and a sock is enough. Completely avoids the grit problem too. And of course, stylish as hell. They make putting your wetsuit on much easier. Traction is good, and foot feel is natural. I have a dozen pair of booties and I hardly ever wear them now.

We all would love to see a pic of you wearing them. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 11:36:49 AM »
If you can find these Maiori -> they are ones to get for ocean play.  Provide fantastic traction on your SUP better than bare feet.  Neoprene uppers keep rocks and grit at bay.  Mine are about 5 years old and have taken them to beaches in Mex DR Cuba etc.

Not had any reason to buy any recent offerings -> but do have 4 different styles for running and working out and water use.  They seem to last forever.  Fit is very specific for certain toes and feet.  So make sure you can return them if need be.

Vibrams are def weird -> but they do provide just the right amount of protection from glass and rocks and such.  Warmth not really.  Oddly many peeps ask about them and want to know where they can get them.

https://youtu.be/ngINqCNofoM
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:55 PM »
Those look interesting, ankle cuff gets rid of the grit problem. I may have to get some. Drives me crazy spending a couple minutes lining up your toes only to get some grit inside with the 1st step.... :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:01:16 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
Just checked out what they currently have available.  No water items have a high neoprene cuff.  Also got one called the Lontra way back that has a cuff for wet trail running.  But do remember peeps complained it was way too hard to get on.  So pros and cons. 

Personally have no probs -> but can kinda see that could be an issue for some.  Got them both especially to keep out debris like you note.  My other 2 pairs are low cut which do allow 1 or 2 small rocks to flip in.  Good to keep an eye out as they seem to change up models each year.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 06:08:16 PM »
I'm looking for the most natural and realistic booties that don't mess me up while surfing. 

Check out O'Neill 3mm Ninja Booties.  The soul is thin so you still have good feel with your feet and they are light compared to most booties.   I usually hate booties but I like my Ninja Booties :-)    I forget I am wearing them most of the time.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 02:11:34 AM »
I'm looking for the most natural and realistic booties that don't mess me up while surfing.  I'm planning to surf Dogpatch and Trails (both hard on the feet) a lot this summer, and typical booties mess up my footwork.  Don't need warmth, just need protection.  Have you tried these?  They seem like they might be better, or maybe they are just weird, don't know. 

http://us.vibram.com/shop/fivefingers/men/new-releases/v-aqua-mens/M73.html?dwvar_M73_color=Black&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZypkJrM2wIVlAR9Ch23SwfVEAEYASAAEgLXh_D_BwE#start=1

Yes, I use these when doing SUP or surf ski. They obviously don't offer warmth but they offer enough protection to get around. the only thing I do find is that sometimes, really small bits of gravel can get into the drainage holes in the sole but its not frequent. I really like Vibrams and once you've learned the technique to get them on, they are easy to deal with. They can be expensive though.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 03:52:38 AM »
For special requests, difficult to find models, customer support issues or any assistance with finding better satisfaction let me know and I can try facilitate assistance from Vibram. A good friend works there and helped develop FiveFingers.

I was surprised to learn they didn't get a bigger market sucess in watersports. Their attempts at warmer water models failed as the neoprene thickness was too great a trade-off for sensitivity. So for warmth look elsewhere.

Their FiveFingers have a lot of success in trail and barefoot running. Obviously markets where Vibram is already very well known.

I use the older KSO (Keep Stuff Out) model in water where I need protection. I haven't had the sand issues so much. I guess they have newer models but definitely pick one which keeps stuff (sand) out.

Check out their re-sole program if you have a pair of [normal land] shoes you sometimes wish had better grip or you want to give them a new lease on life. It's a very cool service.
   https://us.vibram.com/shop/sole-factor/

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:07 AM »
The ones I have are also the older KSO....should be KSOA for me....keep stuff out...almost.... ;)
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal