Author Topic: Slingshot Foils  (Read 11870 times)

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Slingshot Foils
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
Hy,
the Slingshot Foils esp. the H2 doesn't get too good reviews from certain users here, esp. when over 190 lbs.
Does anyone have tested the SS H4?
It has significantly more area than the H2, 1360 sqcm vs. 1150 sqcm.
About as much area as the Takuma V400, more than e. g. the Takumam V100, Naish Thrust L or Gofoil Kai.
But it's not a big wing like the IWA or Maliko.
On the other hand: Is surface area everything or are there other factors, like span or profile thickness?
Alex

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slingshot Foils
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
Friend I met while trying to sell my Slingshot rig, had offered to purchase only the H2 wing I had because he was already proning a Slingshot foil with the H4 wing, and while able to get it to fly (he weighs about 180 lbs) he wasn't able to for very long, and was thinking the H2 would be easier to pump with as he was told by Slingshots owner/designer.

While I couldn't/didn't sell him mine, he was able to acquire an H2 wing by itself, and while he did find it more "pumpable" than the H4, still wasn't getting the rides he was seeing other prone guys getting from their Go Foils, Naishes, and Cloud Nines....so he ended up buying the Go Foil Kai/Iwa Combo, and has done nothing but rave about the Iwa (hasn't tried the Kai yet as far as I know).

After his 2nd outing with the Iwa, he texted all excited about a run up the Seal Beach Jetty of 440 yards on "ripple surf" with a combination of pumping, and gliding...pretty much over 5 times the distance he'd ever got out of either of his Slingshot wings. "Was also able to pump back out 50-75 yards after a while retry ride (spelling verbatim)" he wrote in the same text.

I'm not an engineer of any kind, so can't get into all of the pertinent specs wrt all of the different foils, and wings...but I can relay mine, and others experience with several different foils, and I've not talked to one person that liked, and kept the Slingshot, regardless of the wing(s) they were running with it.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »
Does anybody know if Slingshot will offer a bigger wing than the H4 for 2019?

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:52:30 PM »
Does anybody know if Slingshot will offer a bigger wing than the H4 for 2019?
The two 2019 Infinity H10 and H11? look pretty darn big https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hzGhYMvf8
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:06 AM »
Yeah, still not sold on them until I see them under a SUP, in the waves, with a guy around the 200 lb. weight range on them.

Small foils are fine for surfing or behind boat/jet ski, under a kite, or sail....but I've not seen one that's worked well enough for the bigger guys on SUPs.

When the Go Foil Kai came out there were plenty of them on SUPs, as it was the only size available initially, but once the Malikos, and Iwas came out, I've not seen a Kai on a SUP since then...that's locally at Sano in less then head high+ conditions I should add.

If the new Slingshots are about the same size as the GF Iwas well then I'd say they they have a chance. If their smaller than that, and more in the neighborhood of the Kai...well then not so much. JMO obviously.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:32:41 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Check sizes. These new ones are sized like the GoFoils.

Companies listen and adapt to the market... the ones that stay in business at least.

You get a season in this biz before your competition figures out what they are doing wrong. Now GoFoil has a year to fix that multiple wing thing. The pendulum swings.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:11:28 AM »
As surfcowboy said they are sized more like the go foils now, seems like a pretty reasonable option.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 04:57:56 AM »
wow, great data--sic beasho on this!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 07:22:38 AM »
My one and only attempt (I don't live near surf) at SUP foiling was on the H4 and it was futile. It may have been my complete rookie status but I tow foil with it now and I need 17mph to fly on the H4. I doubt it's suitable for SUP and especially a heavier person. Luckily it works very well as a kite foil.

The new Infinities (at least the 84) should work. One thing that concerns me is they seem to have a low aspect ratio of 3.3 - 3.7 compared to 4 - 5 of the others.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
Hi, I have been riding the 84 ride engine/slingshot foil and really like it, I weigh about 200.  Really stable, predictable, and flies in nothing.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »
Check sizes. These new ones are sized like the GoFoils.

Companies listen and adapt to the market... the ones that stay in business at least.
As surfcowboy said they are sized more like the go foils now, seems like a pretty reasonable option.
Well that's good. Then from my statement above, "If the new Slingshots are about the same size as the GF Iwas well then I'd say they they have a chance", which from cowboy's chart (awesome chart btw, where'd you get it?)....the "Infinity 76" almost mirrors it.

So yes I agree then, they now seem "like a pretty reasonable option", and I would definitely like to give the two Infinities a try now....so I could be the one demoing "them under a SUP, in the waves, with a guy around the 200 lb. weight range on them".  ;) ;D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
I need 17mph to fly on the H4

17 mph is Too fast for flight in normal waves. 

My data shows that the GoFoils Maliko 200 and Iwa will start to lift at ~ 6 mph.  They will fly at 9 mph on the verge of stall. 

Comfortable flight speeds are 10 to 14 mph. 

15 mph starts to feel really fast.  20 mph becomes overwhelming.  25 mph and you are lucky to keep the Iwa in the water (Maliko 200 no-way)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
So maybe per Beasho , the best way to compare/measure would be pure upward lifting force at different speeds each foil.

Surface area and width not so helpful...

Granted that's not 'surfability, but for this year at least, it feels like theres almost too many choices, and I would like to be able to have one front with a couple of tail wings for low speed sailing, and surfing

THis vid seems helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ilHHh8cOwM

I like sailing the H2, but wouldn't surf it unless I had a big rear wing

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:48:36 AM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
Hi, I have been riding the 84 ride engine/slingshot foil and really like it, I weigh about 200.  Really stable, predictable, and flies in nothing.
I had invested in Slingshot since their modular system allowed me to also windsurf foil and kite foil. I had resigned myself to the fact that it would not be useful for SUP foil but this is very good news. You had previously been on a different foil correct? Any comparisons you can make?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »

This was a cool chart I happened upon one day:  http://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/lets-chat-choosing-a-surf-hydrofoil/

I think I found a few errors on sizes, but most of it seems correct.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal