Author Topic: Why Laird Hamilton is still making waves...  (Read 19825 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why Laird Hamilton is still making waves...
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2018, 05:42:40 AM »
The benefit to your feet from going barefoot (or near barefoot) isn't from any improvement to proprioception, it's from rebuilding the structural integrity of your feet.
That certainly sounds like a much more plausible explanation to me.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »
The benefit to your feet from going barefoot (or near barefoot) isn't from any improvement to proprioception, it's from rebuilding the structural integrity of your feet.

"It's really making all those little intrinsic muscles of the foot power up and start working and it actually works in conjunction with the extrinsic muscles of the foot as well"
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »
"We’ve over-supported our feet [in running shoes] to the point that our foot doesn’t have to do what it’s designed to do," says Irene S. Davis, PhD, professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School and director of the Spaulding National Running Center. "When you support a muscle, it doesn’t have to work as hard. When it doesn’t have to work as hard, it gets weak."

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/new-exercise-trend-barefoot-running#1

Found that my foot and leg muscles were indeed very weak before vs after.  But for max speed -> cushion is a bit faster for me.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »
As I said, it’s restorative rather than an enhancement effect.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2018, 06:34:09 AM »
So improving the feedback from some of the sensors and important ones at that. (feet) doesn't have any effect on the overall system? Sorry not buying that. I don't think medical science knows for sure...so pretty sure we certainly don't. Saying that it's because of one thing and not another? Unless you know of some research I haven't found in the last 14 years of looking into what can effect balance I'm not sure how you say that. Not doubting that improving structural integrity is part of it but it's saying that's all it is? There is no direct research that I know of. Feet have a high density of proprioceptors, when has it ever been good for the performance of a system to deaden sensors?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
Not that it really matters what I think, but I agree with Bob (which is rare). Perhaps you are reacting to Laird's woo-woo pseudoscience, or perhaps its a matter of subtle emphasis that doesn't transmit easily in the written word.

It seems you all agree that being barefoot gives better muscular control of balance. Certainly everyone understands the importance of toes in balance, the rest of the foot is equally important. Feet don't have as many nerve endings as hands, but still plenty of them and the pressure and position of foot components is a big part of controlling balance and weight distribution. I can't think of a single balance sport where minimizing the effect of shoes isn't important. Watching a woman walk in inappropriate shoes is a lesson in form over function. Ballet dancers never make that mistake, or if they do it's to demonstrate to the audience that they can be graceful and retain balance even without that handicap.

Where is the disagreement here?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
Ok, so now we are disagreeing about whether there is disagreement? :)

Maybe time to call this one a day.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2018, 11:41:13 AM »
Ok, so now we are disagreeing about whether there is disagreement? :)

Maybe time to call this one a day.

Right, and we’re not talking about Laird anymore.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal