Author Topic: Why Laird Hamilton is still making waves...  (Read 5789 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
Re: Why Laird Hamilton is still making waves...
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
Laird's been saying exactly the same things as long as I've been aware of him. I heard him expounding on the "energy from the earth" stuff twenty years ago at Jacques restaurant in Maui. Same words. The weights in the pool thing has been going on for a decade or more too, and it's not the little thing he made it sound like. It's a mashup of the Wim what'shisname breath hold stuff and extreme effort underwater. There are only a few people he can do it with. There have been some pretty funky mishaps. I recall an article a few years ago when the writer was trying to do that with Laird and nearly drowned. He blacked out and need to be pumped out. Then he tried to do some of Laird's breath control stuff and pitched off the couch in convulsions.

From my vantage point, which is a step away or so, I'd say the reason Laird is still fascinating is that he actually does a lot more than the hype. He's actually a lot better than his legend. That's what I get from people who are close to him who like him and people who don't. I've seen him paddle SUP at Peahi--I've never seen a SUP move that fast before. Visibly different, just moving from the right side over to the left. I've seen him surfing Ho'okipa on a 14' SUP in crazy conditions, with no one else out. Cranking wind, 10 to 15 foot Hawaiian. Insane. Admin shot a video of it that was on the home page for a long time. Most people would have been wiped out just trying to paddle out. He did it effortlessly. I couldn't even understand how he was doing it, and I watched for at least an hour, trying to figure it out.

I sound like a fanboy, and I don't think I am, I'm just relating what I hear from the people I know, like Dave Kalama, Brett Lickle, Loch Eggers. They all say about the same thing. That he's a lot better than what's reported.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:07:54 PM by PonoBill »
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 11:24:18 PM »
Yeah, that’s why the steady move to self-parody of the Laird brand is so painful. You gotta seperate Laird the person from Laird the brand. Laird the person is remarkable. Laird the brand is looking a bit cliched, IMO, and getting more so as he becomes a mainstream fitness “guru”. He’s got competition these days from Kai Lenny (ironically, perhaps) who seems to be doing fine without too much self-parody.

As for the dangers of the fitness recommendations, this is hardly a positive. A fitness instructor who encourages their friends to engage in activity which causes a medically dangerous situation needs to take a look at themselves. As Laird has said, he’s off-the-scale competitive. Maybe he has a need to crush his friends in the gym as much as in the water? That kind of drive can lead to self-parody too.

It’s a shame that he never competed. Everything to lose and nothing to gain, I suppose, in terms of the brand. The brand relies on us believing that the guy is superhuman and would beat all comers at everything. Maybe he would. Or maybe he’s got himself in the position where even one sign of weakness and the brand evaporates. That’s kinda sad, really. Even Usain Bolt had his off days, and time catches up with us all. Maybe he should start emphasising a little more how to maintain a bit of equilibrium in one’s life: the “everything in moderation, including moderation” bit is a good line. How do you do that when you are a ball of animal drives and ego that makes you want to push yourself and others around you to stupid levels? I’d like to hear a bit more about that rather than the Lance Burkhart “you don’t have to be crazy to work here but it helps” type stuff. He could certainly do that - he’s a thoughtful guy. But the mainstream will take his brand into self-parody and risk destroying it in the process.

Anyway, if Laird had told you about the cornflake exercise you’d all have your feet in breakfast cereal right now. So I guess he’s doing something right, after all.

Btw. I met this guy Ross Edgely a couple of days ago. He was taking a sleep on his boat before his next 6-hour stint in the water (he’s doing 6 hours swim, six hours rest, continuously) so a bunch of us paddled out to his boat before he set off and spoke with him. He came across as very friendly and unassuming. Tough for someone that build to swim so much, I’d have thought. He must have the hydrodynamics of a brick. But I can tell you that swimming in UK waters is not for the delicate. It’s so damn cold and murky, even in the summer, and the weather can turn windy and foul at any time (in fact it’s going to be 60 knots in the UK tomorrow, up North). I can’t even think about the amount of chafing that must go on with the wetsuit. But maybe chafing is small beer compared to swimming 100km while tied to a tree, or rope climbing the height of Everest.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/ross-edgley-great-british-swim
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:39:51 PM by Area 10 »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 01:57:06 AM »
Anyone who regularly uses wetsuit boots when surfing or SUPing knows the effect that it has on balance. But I doubt that not wearing shoes makes balance ability, rather than balance performance, any better. It might even be better to train in thick boots but compete in bare feet.

Nope, tried that and it was a disaster. Its the equivalent of training to bench 40kg and then being asked to do a different exercise on race day. The foot muscles are completely underdeveloped and won't fire properly and it leads to increased fatigue that eventually travels up from legs to hips. The reverse would be ok though.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 02:44:06 AM »
Anyone who regularly uses wetsuit boots when surfing or SUPing knows the effect that it has on balance. But I doubt that not wearing shoes makes balance ability, rather than balance performance, any better. It might even be better to train in thick boots but compete in bare feet.

Nope, tried that and it was a disaster. Its the equivalent of training to bench 40kg and then being asked to do a different exercise on race day. The foot muscles are completely underdeveloped and won't fire properly and it leads to increased fatigue that eventually travels up from legs to hips. The reverse would be ok though.
“Foot muscles underdeveloped”? Don’t you walk around at home with bare feet? I think this is all in your mind. Paddling with wetsuit boots on enters a huge amount of error variance into your proprioception (a bit like standing on a wobble board on top of your board), so it would develop your “foot muscles” and proprioceptive awareness even more.

But it it is hugely more pleasant to paddle with bare feet, and you get much more of a sense of what your board is doing, which can help significantly with your balance. I’ve been paddling for the last couple of months in the UK with bare feet (both sea and inland) and I’m dreading having to go back to boots for winter. I don’t really see the point of the Vibrams etc - if it’s warm enough to wear them then I’d rather wear nothing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »
That's been a standing joke with my wife and I for years--that if Laird walked around with underwear on his head in three weeks there would be a Skivvy(TM) hat and everyone would be wearing it.

Laird is one of those people that rarely gets bullshit called to his face, so everything he believes--real or not, gets continually reinforced by the sycophants around him and random reinforcing experiences. I think that's why and how celebrities get so weird.
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
Yes, you are absolutely correct PB! ;D

SUP Leave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 10:39:08 AM »
My wife and I were watching some Laird thing on TV a while ago and I told her that Laird and myself were the same height and weight. (6'2, 220#).

She said "Well his bones must be made of iron then".
Make paddleboarding great again!

Dusk Patrol

• Peahi Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
Laird is one of those people that rarely gets bullshit called to his face, so everything he believes--real or not, gets continually reinforced by the sycophants around him and random reinforcing experiences. I think that's why and how celebrities get so weird.

Think of the deficit to his brand caused by the flakiness (no offense to Area10)... in other words, what he could be achieving if he had a 100% credible message, instead of a 50% credible message.     
Bullet V2; RS 14x26; New Deal 9'6; BluePlanet 9'4

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »
Yeah, people treat Laird as if he’s a powerful god. Power does funny things to you.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/power-causes-brain-damage/528711/

Tough to keep your (bare) feet on the ground - and grounded in an electrical sense :) - when everyone treats you like a real-life Marvel superhero.

I’m off now to do a headstand on a golf ball.

Dusk Patrol

• Peahi Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »
I followed the link to the Atlantic article and was greeted by an ad from Vibram for their reef shoes, which is an interest of mine on another thread. While not surprising, the speed at which these things happen still amazes.

Lucy Liu also wants me to join her at The Mandarin Oriental, so I got that goin' for me...
Bullet V2; RS 14x26; New Deal 9'6; BluePlanet 9'4

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »
I followed the link to the Atlantic article and was greeted by an ad from Vibram for their reef shoes, which is an interest of mine on another thread. While not surprising, the speed at which these things happen still amazes.

Lucy Liu also wants me to join her at The Mandarin Oriental, so I got that goin' for me...
Don’t forget to wear your Vibrams when you join her.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
Laird has the 1-in-a-million genetics of a professional athlete such as a football or basketball player. A combination of size, strength, stamina, drive, grace etc. that are all off the chart. With those genes in place, his fitness could be achieved via any one of a dozen variations of what state of the art training programs pro athletes use today. The reason he stands out is because he is playing in an arena that neither requires nor really rewards those genetics. If he were a pro football or basketball player his body type and fitness would be utterly unremarkable compared to his peers, he'd be average among them. It's almost a joke. It's like an adult playing soccer with a bunch of U-10's and running circles around them with everyone crying, "look how good he is, look how good he is!" No shit.
Bunch of old shit

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
 "...and was greeted by an ad from Vibram for their reef shoes, which is an interest of mine on another thread"

Amazing how fast that happens huh? I also am now getting bombarded with ads for that Vibram brand after having clicked once to check them out!
Hey,  back in the day my first SUP lesson from Hannah Hill.....don't ever wear shoes or anything on your feet...you need to "feel" the board. I guess sooner or later my bloodied feet (from walking across our oyster beach on Hood Canal) would "harden" to the task! ):.........
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
"Studies suggest that landing on your forefoot is the most effective running style as it allows the arch of your foot to act as a natural shock absorber"

"By being a forefoot runner that allows you to actually engage your ankle as you are landing so you are cushioning your landing much more and that should take some pressure off the knee and hip joints but you are potentially loading the ankle joint more"

"It's really making all those little intrinsic muscles of the foot power up and start working and it actually works in conjunction with the extrinsic muscles of the foot as well"

Found that changing from heel strike to -> mid-forefoot strike allowed me to run down any hill without pain.  While my soleus built up like crazy.  Speed also increased a lot.  Overall very positive -> but would transition very very slow as your muscles and tendons and bones do need a lot of time to adapt and strengthen up for the new different loads.  ;)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
I admire Laird a lot, just as many of us do. Shit...I feel like I owe the guy in a way. But I agree the brand suffers from some of the weirdness. But that's only with folks that are rational. How many have bought hologram bracelets or magnets to help their balance? Coffee and lifestyle are bound to work better than those anyway.... ;)

A10 ...Deadening your feet by wearing booties doesn't build propreoceptive awareness. Propreoception depends on quality feedback, deadening your sensors won't help.

While I don't believe I'm tapping into the earth energy I do know that being barefoot makes me feel better. I used to go barefoot pretty much all summer when I was a teen, at least when I could which was most of the time. I never used to think about what it did for me. Now I do it concsiously to help with my balance and taking shoes off always feels good anyway. Getting all the muscles and bones engaged, feeling the texture of the ground, etc..all increases propreoception. A little that gets lost when you encase it in leather or rubber.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Topics

topic Foil Videos
[Foil SUP]
sharksupper
October 17, 2018, 10:02:58 PM
topic 500px
[Random]
TallDude
October 17, 2018, 09:06:05 PM
topic As SUP wave riders are we scared of "regular" surfers?
[General Discussion]
liv2surf
October 17, 2018, 07:59:24 PM
topic Surf Travel Paddle 3 piece
[Gear Talk]
liv2surf
October 17, 2018, 07:53:50 PM
topic Places to foil in L.A.
[Foil SUP]
frenchfoiler
October 17, 2018, 07:42:25 PM
topic Atcheson Topeka and the Santa Fe
[Random]
stoneaxe
October 17, 2018, 07:20:37 PM
topic Setups: Hydrofoil behind the boat: 2nd-3rd-4th wake back
[Foil SUP]
Slappysan
October 17, 2018, 06:56:03 PM
topic Advice about Peru
[Travel, Trips, Destinations]
NEsurfSUP
October 17, 2018, 03:48:52 PM
topic Vintage SUP
[General Discussion]
Dusk Patrol
October 17, 2018, 03:45:33 PM
topic What does your SUP carrying vehicle look like...?
[General Discussion]
eastbound
October 17, 2018, 02:23:40 PM
topic Surf Etiquette reminder
[General Discussion]
eastbound
October 17, 2018, 02:04:35 PM
topic SIC Feelgood 11'
[Gear Talk]
JimK
October 17, 2018, 09:41:25 AM
topic Foil Sesh #10...finally
[Foil SUP]
clay
October 17, 2018, 09:06:03 AM
topic Inserts for foot straps?
[Foil SUP]
SUPeter
October 17, 2018, 09:00:00 AM
topic Starboard Hyper nut- anyone tried one ?
[Gear Talk]
Paddle On
October 17, 2018, 07:09:20 AM