Author Topic: Why Laird Hamilton is still making waves...  (Read 19824 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Why Laird Hamilton is still making waves...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
I DO kind of use Laird as a reference point for health & fitness, being approx the same age. I’m actually one year older, which is the reason for the difference in our physiques.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
Yeah also used him as a reference for fitness.

Quite interesting to read and see where he is at today.  But never realized he was younger than us as well.  Just remember those vids where he is working out like a madman in the gym and blasting monster waves on his foil.  That was inspirational.

Vids were actually a big motivator to get a squat rack and decline bench and use our free weights more.  Actually has been the best thing ever from a muscle building perspective as was losing it before.  So it is possible to build some muscle -> even against age related sarcopenia and somatopause.

https://youtu.be/WasniaqLQIw
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:30:10 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »
i wish he'd do a bit more internal and spiritual work as "suck it up" doesn't always work for all things (like emotional wounds from a rough childhood for example.) But most of his advice is sound even if I don't buy the brand.

I've shared waves with he and Don and Don is a monster. He was like 75 at the time and smoked me on every wave. So fun to see and inspiring.

Note that he's claiming to hit 50 mph on those big waves with that tiny aluminum foil. Interesting....

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
What’s with all the hippy dippy crap about electrical signals from the earth making their way into your feet?

Much as I admire what Laird has done, and enjoy listening to him, it’s hard to take nutritional or lifestyle advice from someone who just doesn’t care about what science has to say.

Maybe cut down on those 5 espressos you have for breakfast, Laird. No wonder you are feeling vibrations from the cosmos through your feet :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
Yeah after reading a bit and watching a couple recent vids -> seems he is a bit out there on nutrition and especially lifestyle.  Guru?  Hmm?
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
Which one is Laird in the upper photo?  :o
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »
Note that he's claiming to hit 50 mph on those big waves with that tiny aluminum foil. Interesting....

I would tend to believe that.  I wonder what the speed record is for a non-powered watercraft? Trace?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
The guy is impressive on many fronts.  Most of which are in the surf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01vrLwAWiM

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »
I don't doubt the speed. Those tiny foils and massive waves could generate that for sure.

As to the science side of things, I'd need a control where I live in Malibu and Hanalei with wealth enough to just prioritize eating well and surfing in order to see if it's just genetics or if his ideas have merit. Anyone want to fund my research?

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
i wish he'd do a bit more internal and spiritual work as "suck it up" doesn't always work for all things (like emotional wounds from a rough childhood for example.) But most of his advice is sound even if I don't buy the brand.

As someone that has practiced yoga and martial arts for many many more years than I have surfed, I tend to agree.  That said with his intensity I suspect he will continue to find his solace in big waves.  Interestingly some of what he is doing now were done by others way before him (e.g. Aikido's O'Sensei and his practice of Misogi seem similar to Laird's ice water baths and Chinese medicine believes in the benefits of walking barefoot and walking on river stones)... That said, I personally have not had a great deal of interest to partake in his coffee products or XPT however one of the Surf shop owners that I was talking to did tell me Laird seems to have found generating income from these lifestyle brands much easier than selling boards.  I do hope that someone picks up the board distribution after Nidecker concludes because I do love his boards.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
Holy cow!  Holding weights in overhead water in a swimming pool and jumping to get a breath?  Sinking down to the bottom and repeating over and over?  That sounds pretty tough.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal