Author Topic: Re: River Foil Surf  (Read 2640 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: River Foil Surf
« on: June 09, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »
    Thicker wing definitely makes hanging on the wave easier.  The foil is unfortunately more sensitive to boils and turbulence making it more tricky to control.   Pumping or I should say unweighting the board allows it to gain elevation and position itself near the top of the wave.  From there, its a downhill coast until pumping is needed again.   I am looking forward to a better tide range and a larger wave.  Not sure how that will go.  At this time there is too much kelp guarding the entrance onto the shoulder wave.  We usually scoot across the shoulder wave to the main face on regular surfboards, but with 2 plus feet of mast and wing, I'm not so sure.   I cant seem to put the link into the attachment box but then again, maybe I don't have to. 

https://youtu.be/earqXmlvQ-8

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »
Thicker wing definitely makes hanging on the wave easier.
You're sure making it look "Easier". Beautiful trim and a beauty of a day out there. that water's moving pretty quickly. Guessing you know American Whitewater.
This is the river wave I check.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2920/#tab-flow
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »
Scudders!  That wave looks great!  Not sure but it looks like you can slide onto it from the eddy on river right.  Like to see some video of it but in pictures, does not seem too turbulent.  If I read the gauge correctly the flow is high right now.  Good Luck,have Fun, be safe!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 03:59:40 PM »
Damn!  Sorry, I don't know how this ended up here!  A whole new thread?  I must have done something wrong.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
Bigger wave and faster water due to the bigger tide is definitely helping.  Wave speed and foil speed are very close. Shoulder is almost ready to paddle onto wave or at least rope onto it with paddle and jettison rope.  Rope is slack most of the time but feel it is still assisting me with turn control.  Got a ways to go and still it  is the most fun I've had on a foil yet.

https://youtu.be/QSqqxjBmXsw

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
Another smooth looking session. River is definitely flowing strong and you're balancing that foil really skillfully. When will you lose the rope for a paddle?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »
Soon!  I'm going to try tomorrow am.  The wave should be even bigger.  Fingers crossed.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:55:35 PM »
Wave was not as big as I had hoped.  Focused on releasing the rope with both paddle and no paddle.  I had better luck without the paddle at times and at times the paddle helped.  Only managed to get a short clip of a no paddle ride.  I have a long ways to go before this gets easy.  So many different forces involved, boils, turbulence and wave size.  I was just happy to get short little rides and hope they get longer in the future.   

http://youtu.be/ewdBDL1VSGo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal