Author Topic: Look what Tesla went and started  (Read 1758 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Look what Tesla went and started
« on: June 07, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
The new rule, if you want to build big trucks and buses, they'd better be electric.
https://newatlas.com/daimler-trucks-freightliner-electrics/54946/

A guy I pay some attention to in the electric car business recently dissected a Tesla Model Three battery, including dissecting some single cells and analysing all the electronics in the "hump". His conclusion--"this is the best battery the world has ever seen. This is miles ahead of any other car maker. This came from future--or maybe outer space."

Most e-car batteries are rated higher than their actual capacity. No one wants you to charge the battery to full capacity because it shortens the lifespan. So they call the battery 75KWH, but really you can only charge to 60. The high capacity model 3 has a battery rated at 75KWH, but when you add up the number of cells, which Tesla says are 5000mah but everyone that tests one says are 6000mah or more, it comes out to 82KWH at full charge if you use Tesla's number. Real world, it's close to 100KWH. In other words, they are sandbagging in an industry that grossly over-reports performance. I suspect they are setting charge limits in the battery management system with software. I suspect the 50KWH car is a software-limited 75KWH that's really somewhat bigger. The 50KWH is supposed to be 2,976 cells and the 75KWH is 4416, but some teardowns have revealed 4416 cells in what's supposed to be a 50KWH car. At production rates, it might be cheaper to just build one battery. At 5000mah the 4416 batteries pencil out at 81696WH. at 6000mah it's 98035.2. There's just no way it's really 75kwh.

The long range version with AWD does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and tops out at 155mph. Range is over 450miles if you're gentle with the throttle. $75K for a supercar that you can fill up in your garage while you sleep. Fully prepped for stage 4 autonomy. Somewhere, right now, someone is writing an article for a petrol car mag that bashes this thing. I don't know how they can use a computer with their head up their ass.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Look what Tesla went and started
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
If you had Leno-money you could build your motorhome as a hybrid :D

Lots of room for batteries....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »
I'm doing a big battery, but it's environmental--heating/ac, cooking, lights, etc. Aiming at about 10Kwh and a 5KW inverter. No propane. 600 watts of solar on the roof. Maybe someday I'll convert it to electric, but not until there's a reasonable retro path. Yeah, I think eRV's are obvious. The whole floor pan could be battery for just 3-4" of added height. You don't need axles or drivelines for an electric drive--just frame-mounted bogies with hub motors, so they could net out at a foot or more shorter and still have 6'8" headspace. No radiator, no engine, no propane, no gas or diesel. Add autonomous driving and it's pretty painless travel.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:55:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:16:29 PM »
I have had a deposit on a Model 3 for over a year.....but now that I hear the new Roadster is going to use a set of rockets to improve both acceleration AND braking......I might just have to wait!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal