Author Topic: Converting a board to a quad setup.  (Read 7015 times)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Converting a board to a quad setup
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 05:35:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for their input,

The board is off to our shaper today. He uses the Mckee formula for positioning. Measured the current set up and thought that’s what was used for the thruster set up by Sunova. Decided on FCS2 fin boxes. A bit simpler installation and will be backwards compatible with all my current fins. I will try to pick up a small set of FCS2 fins. Stefan also recommended putting at least one screw in the FCS2 fins.......too many fins on the bottom of the ocean. We had a long discussion about quads vs thruster setups and why wider tailed boards often go well as a quad setup. Very approachable guy.

Cheers

Bob

(PS don’t tell Bert!)
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Converting a board to a quad setup
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »
Decided on FCS2 fin boxes.

Yeah, I tried to get my Speeed with FCS2 and that was a big "NO". 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Converting a board to a quad setup.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 06:11:28 PM »
Bert thinks through every phase and concept of his boards. The reason he uses FCS Ones is because they allow the board to continue to flex, which is one of the aspects that set apart Sunovas. He goes into the explanation of the how and why here
https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/technology

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 04:43:38 AM »
And, if you follow the H-pattern installation instructions, you actually improve the connection between the board bottom and deck at each plug. 

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 11:03:44 AM »
Oooops!

Perhaps an error..........will let you know how it rides.......should be able to get it back on the water in early July. Really looking forward to riding a quad. I have found the 8’10” Skate a handful in steeper waves....yes I know not designed for this but when it is really choppy is my go to board because it is very very stable. Will be interesting to see how this changes the ride. I think Bert designed the board to “Skate” ie. release at the back fin on hard turns.....in bigger waves not what I want in a board. It is interesting that FCS 1 inserts also can tie the top to the bottom of the board......at least this is how it was explained to me.

Cheers

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »
Another option if you plan to ride the Skate in steeper waves is to throw a nubster in the quad.  Some swear by it.  Others say insignificant.  I'm currently using one in my 7'4.  I've been riding it pretty much exclusively with a nubster and love the overall feel of the full package so I haven't bothered taking it out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf6TV1vg-tP/

50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
Thanks Africa

Yes (I have been told) that the nubster is a great addition to quads. I have been riding the Skate as a twin with a nubster and it definitely “skates”  with this setup. It was explained to me that with wide tailed boards with a thruster set up in steeper waves when you get them on rail it is not uncommon for the tail to release because the wider tail brings the center fin out of the water. Not a problem with a narrow tail as the center fin remains engaged in hard turns and not a problem with Quads because there are always two fins in the water when on rail. Perhaps at my level of surfing this is all academic but I am trying to improve my level of surfing and have started to go down the fin “rabbit hole”. I am just totally stoked to be surfing and on the water in my 60s. This forum has been a wealth of cumulative knowledge that helps to keep me surfing and improving much to the amusement and amazement of friends and family.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
Bert thinks through every phase and concept of his boards.

Believe me Tom, I know.  Tried anyway...  On the flip side my surfboard shapers all prefer Futures.  Me too.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 11:17:40 AM »
Hi

Picked up my 8’10” Skate on the weekend. Afantas did good work installing the new boxes. Next step finding some bigger choppy conditions to see how it rides.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 03:08:39 AM »
I have had the Skate with quad setup out in some choppy conditions and shoulder to head high. Reassuring to have the stability of the wider board. Fast down the line and the board feals “glued” to the wave......not sure how to describe it. Very short video of one wave in the fog at North Chesterman. So far I like the Skate as a quad.

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »
I don't really understand why none of the Sunovas come with quad/5 fin options?!

Is it to save money? Or is he a purist?

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
Hey Devon

Several of Bert’s surf sups do come as quad or five fine setups.

2 in 1 surf foil
Flash
Insane
Flow
Shroom

I had the Skate as a quad out this morning at Cox Bay in dense fog. Beautiful glassy shoulder high waves. The board felt great, connected to the wave, maneuverable and fast. For me as a thruster setup once I got into these bigger waves it would seem to “Skate” on the surface of the wave and I just didn’t feel in control of the board. I was actually thinking of selling it.....but not now!

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 09:01:20 PM »
I have had the Skate with quad setup out in some choppy conditions and shoulder to head high. Reassuring to have the stability of the wider board. Fast down the line and the board feals “glued” to the wave......not sure how to describe it. Very short video of one wave in the fog at North Chesterman. So far I like the Skate as a quad.

Bob

From the looks of the board, and just the one ride, I'd also recommend this....
Another option if you plan to ride the Skate in steeper waves is to throw a nubster in the quad.  Some swear by it.  Others say insignificant.  I'm currently using one in my 7'4.  I've been riding it pretty much exclusively with a nubster and love the overall feel of the full package so I haven't bothered taking it out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf6TV1vg-tP/
I had a 7'8"x 30" mini Simmons shape with a lot of board between the two rear fins, and on the first ride out of the box on head high+, came screaming down the wave, setup for a strong bottom turn back to the top...and the dang tail slid out, and the board skipped across the bottom like a skipping stone that I was just able to luckily recover, and just barely got it around to save the wave, and not wipe myself out.

When I got home I got on the phone with the shaper, explained what had happened, and asked him "wtf's was up with this friggin' board?" His first question was, "Did you have a nubber in?" So I went out that day, bought the nubber, threw it on, and that board turned into my favorite of all time, and one I'm already regretting having sold a little over a month ago.  :'(

If the board doesn't turn as hard as you expect or want it to, I'd definitely toss in a nubber, and see what happens. But if you're happy with the turn you got out of it in the clip, well then I'd just leave it as it is...but I think there's even more performance in that board if you really want to push it. JMO naturally. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:07:34 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
Thanks Sano,

Good idea. I will post more rides once I get my Soloshot sorted out. So far the board is holding a line on steep drops and bottom turns. If any slipping will try a nubster. It is giving me confidence to really try to push harder on turns and to ride a bit bigger waves.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal