Author Topic: Would a trailer work for beach camping on the east coast?  (Read 12559 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would a trailer work for beach camping on the east coast?
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 07:27:17 PM »
https://www.outsidevan.com/van/marine-layer/

If you have to ask.......

That thing is gorgeous, but not my cup of tea.  Too much stuff in there.  Really cool stuff, but too much for me.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
These type of vans are built for people who who really don’t know what they want. Sure, they look cool and you can really impress your neighbors. But really just too much stuff. I’ve owned six vans in the last fifty years and the simple open plan is the way to go.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2018, 07:15:37 AM »
Rider, I have zero experience with vans other then experience wanting one.... oh the wanting. But I sure see your point about simplicity. But truly Outside Vans are on my radar screen for real as I am getting closer to being able to afford a vehicle like that. What appeals to me is a new van. I am no mechanic or tinkererer. Experienced/professional systems from electrical to black out curtains, racks and ladders. What would you go with for simplicity for 1 to 2 people, bikes/ skis/SUPs(rarely all at the same time)
New England Is My Playground

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 07:25:14 AM »
These type of vans are built for people who who really don’t know what they want. Sure, they look cool and you can really impress your neighbors. But really just too much stuff. I’ve owned six vans in the last fifty years and the simple open plan is the way to go.

It might look like Fritz, the GMC Motorhome I'm restoring, is anything but simple, but that's the underlying concept. Minimal built-ins, maximum space and flexibility. The thing looks empty, but I'm almost done with the built in stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
NEplay. The’re really is no perfect van or RV. It’s all a compromise. Some people like more, some people like less. What we learned from our sailing days is that if its not there it’s not broken. With a van, simple is definitely better. Not really that much space to begin with. Weather is a factor. We still have a really nice older 4x4 conversion that is going strong. We’re looking at the ford transit 250 medium roof. We definitely want the 3.5 eco boost engine. 4x4? Newberg Ford has decent prices. Opposing sette in the rear with filler gives that straight in shot for boards, bikes, etc.A little cabinet on port side with portapottie in front and you’re golden. Really,less is more in a van.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »
This is what I've been camping in for quite a few years. I've had this same camper on two different trucks.

It's a Four Wheel Pop Up built with an all aluminum frame and made to flex. It's very nimble and and allows me get into those hard to reach Baja spots as well as any campground.

It has a queen sized bed when popped it, a propane fridge and a sink with 12 gallons of water. I can also go in stealth mode and sleep on the side bed while the top is down, great for late night stops in a parking lot.

I've also had as many as 6 boards on top and still able to pop it up.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »
I have a buddy who used to sleep in the back of his AMC Pacer.  He probably should have had those widows tinted...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
Greenhouse. The ugliest car ever built--the Pontiac Aztek--certainly at least the clumsiest wheel wells ever designed, was actually based on a concept car camping vehicle that was cool as heck. Some of the Aztek's came with a tent. The tent wasn't as waterproof as one might hope, but my brother David survived a couple of rainy nights at Watkins Glen when he came up to watch me race Peyote in 2007 as part of my all aluminum tour. I'm not going to explain all that, but there's some remnants of the blog I did for the tour at http://www.peyoterace.com/  Lots of broken links, but so it goes.

All that said, it would be a pretty good surf vehicle for one person if you got one that had the tent and air mattress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33AP0JnXSOA  Maybe two if you are very friendly. I'd upgrade the original air mattress with something modern and less bouncy, but then you'd lose that fabulous logo.

They used to be dirt cheap on the used market, but oddly the prices are rising.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
Not surprising, I would guess that the Aztec shares a ton of DNA with the Range Rover P38.  On the other hand, the Pacer seems to share some DNA with the Porche 928... (also creeping up in value).

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
Aztek really isn't that ugly, it's more like it was "elected" ugly and became the universal dumping ground, every commodity's worse nightmare.  I think the strange color choices didn't help.

If it's a babe magnet, now, though, I'd hate to see the babes.  I forgot it was in Breaking Bad.  He runs down some drug dealers in it in one episode.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
...I forgot it was in Breaking Bad...

That might make it a cult-classic

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »
vw california seems like a good option for many, esp you, NE, where you dont want to design/build-looks compelling to me---great name for a vehicle NOT available in US............................not sure why vw wouldnt market here---americans are road warriors
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »
The first time I saw an Aztek on the road I sped up to see what it was. It was so damned fugly I needed to see who designed that abortion. I said to my wife "I guess even junior designers on drugs get to do at least one car. Electing had nothing to do with it. It looked hideous to me before I ever read a review of it. It sucks from every angle, but the rear view and side view are particularly horrific. Those wheel wells. What was that about???

Belltownbikes

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
This is our rig.  We can pull it out onto the beach at Montauk, but not up on Cape Cod or RI: beach camping there is "self contained" only.  This rig supports a family of 5 +1 extra.  We totally gutted the interior and simplified everything - works great for us.  Eventually we will replace this one with a Transit van converted to 4X4 pulling a smallish trailer.  Van set up to sleep in and support short beach camping trips.  A trailer that contains a better sitting and bathing and "shop" area for longer multi-stop roadtrips.  We are mostly mtb roadtrip/cyclocross racing campers, but always look for a campground with water for the paddling.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »
Sprinters are damn nice as a toy hauler and tactical strike vehicle...SUPer comfy to drive...great mileage...and, can be stealthy...just had the chance to empty mine and get it serviced and detailed for the next road trip...original conversion done by Outsidevan.com and then I added on...EJ does nice conversions...as does ADF...

http://www.johnsoncustomvansolutions.com

http://automotivedesignsandfab.com/

https://www.outsidevan.com/

I have several friends with dedicated Instagram pages highlighting their build outs and adventures from these guys...

My Ford F-250 4X4 with Lance camper has seen many great camp trips from Canada down to the tip of the Baja...
I have friends that have gone the MoHo route...Thor Outlaw toy hauler...etc...every rig has plusses and deltas...YMMV...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal