Author Topic: Would a trailer work for beach camping on the east coast?  (Read 12556 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would a trailer work for beach camping on the east coast?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Summer on the East Coast.

Idillic evenings on the beach usually mean BUGS. Tiny no seeum's to greenheads.
The weakness I see in a tiny camper is lack of indoor living space, so bring a pop-up screen room with you.(pic 1)

OR:
last time you were in the trailer living mode, I designed some stuff for you, that I had been thinking of.
I like Cargo Trailers. (after owning a 12 x 8 for moving stuff)
They are low cost, travel well and have a ton of space.

I don't like most comercially built trailers..... they waste too much space...
and most importantly, most lack creature comfort.
I designed my own boat with no built-ins, and bought real livingroom furniture, so I could actually LIVE on it. 
Totally awesome for a 6 month trip!

So, same with cargo trailer living..... modest, but with real recliners and some floor space.
They make great trailer bathroom modules that are plug and play, if you want that feature.

Something for a retired guy to do in middle earth..... build an escape  ;D

Yes, Rick, I agree.  Unfortunately, my wife is not keen on a cargo van homemade camping rig.  But I am 100% down with it.  We may end up doing both.  A stealth camping cargo van setup for my monthly beach trips and then a "cute" camping trailer setup for when she wants to go. 

Did I read this right that you designed a rig that you shared with me, or maybe someone else?  I must have missed that.  Please let me see it. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »
I've owned 3 converted vans and now own an A-Liner hard sided folding camper. Every camper has pluses and minuses and the Aliner fits our needs the best. Like Bill says, you need to camp it in a designated spot, but you can leave it there when you travel around. Also, you do not have the hassles of owning another motor vehicle that must be licenced, insured, and maintained.  With a trailer, you park it and leave it, just have to charge a battery and get some propane.

Here's mine

Oh man, that's cool!  I searched for prices on that one already, only spent a minute or two, but had no luck getting solid info.   The website only refers you to a dealer for pricing, and I'm not ready to go that far with it just yet.  How much should I expect to pay for something like that?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:26:01 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
"If this van's a-rockin', don't..."

OC Craigslist ($12,500) if you're still in the area. On the street "park and hide".

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
I agree with Creek--most motorhomes, vans and trailers have bizarre ideas about how someone wants to "camp". I don't want to spend my time crammed into some U shaped couch/table combo that looks like it came out of a Denny's. I don't want 200 pound Corian counters and tables that will turn into frisbees in an accident. I don't want MDF anything. That's why Fritz got gutted right away. The rarest commodity in motorhome/camper living is inside space. Fritz will have two comfortable and removable chairs and four folding lightweight tray tables that can turn into two short tables, one long table, or one wide table. Kitchen, bathroom, bed. An awning that turns into a  screen "porch" and some folding chairs. Simple as bricks and lots of free space.

I spent six months living in Nero--our toyhauler airstream. It taught me a lot--mostly about not wasting space on built-ins and not having too much storage. Better to have too little stuff than too much. You aren't going on a yearlong voyage.

Unfortunately your wife will probably have different ideas unless she's done this before. She will probably be shocked at the realities of "camping". My suggestion--rent something and go for a week-long trip before you buy anything. 99 percent of camp trailers are sitting on flat tires with a dead battery. Same for the standard motorhome. The ones you see on the road are a tiny percentage.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »
i fantasize re roadtrips once retired also--plan to mix hotels with truck sleeping--for me, stealth is key--to be hauling a place in which to sleep, with nowhere to park without getting awakened and tyold to drive away (or worse), seems a losing trade

i plan for a van of some sort---but ill prolly be crippled and old before i get going
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
Zooport. Aliner has a variety of trailers, mine is the Classic which is one of their higher end models and cost around $23,000. There are very few used ones around. If your interested in foldable campers, there ussually are quite a few pop-up tent trailers around. I went with the Aliner for several reasons, one being I need the hard sides and off road capability  for camping in windy Baja but need something nice enough for my wife to enjoy camping.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »
My wife and I both are really excited to traverse the West Coast after our kids get a little older and so we have thought a lot about this. I firmly believe the van is the play here.

Basically, think of it this way. When you are going out for a week of surf, what do you really need? A soft place to sleep, board security, a way to keep the beer cold, and a lawn chair to veg out in after/between sessions. This can all be fit into any of the mid-size box vans.

When your wife comes along what do you need? If it is my wife, a lot more than all of that. The trailer it takes to support what she considers camping is going to be north of $20k. Just break it down by the average night at a VRBO cabin. If your wife wants to "camp" 2 weeks a year, you can probably stay in a sweet cabin or condo for about 8-10 years at that cost. With your van outside with your boards safely inside of it, so you can be up before dawn for the tactical strike to any break within 30 miles of your VRBO.

Our plan is for the van, I will use for surf trips and she could probably tolerate 1 or 2 nights on the way to somewhere with better accommodations.

Further, good camping spots are reserved so far out that, you are unlikely to align with the right swell/weather conditions. It is a lot easier to get a hotel in a hurry than a camping spot.

I am living vicariously through your decisions on this. Gonna be a lot of fun!

Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
You're a wise man Sup Leave, though there are a few flaws in your thinking. I suspect you'll be a bit surprised at what VRBOs cost. Yes, there are some cheap ones. Those won't be the ones my wife will be staying in. She's not a snob, just not willing to put up with discomfort that she can easily solve. There are also inconveniences that you'll encounter as you progress. A cottage with crappy cooking equipment is irritating.

Still, your solution is rational, it mirrors the kind of stuff we've done, and what we plan for Fritz. Fritz is essentially a bigger van. Not as tall as the high-roof Sprinter, a little wider and about 6 feet longer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »
Oh I don't have any misconceptions about how much I will be spending on a VRBO. I was just giving Zooport the benefit of the doubt. There are $150/night VRBO in OBX and Hatteras, but my wife would never stay in one. She always says "Well if we are going to pay $150 a night, we might as well pay $225 to be on the beach with the jacuzzi" and I always agree.

The logic is still there, the price of a trailer (licensing, upkeep, lot fees etc) is pretty closely aligned with the costs of non-moving lodging. In Zooport's case he is moving to be closer to offspring, so the likelihood of a $150/night VRBO cabin that sleeps 2 is probably a no-go. He will probably need to sleep at least a few grand kids on every beach trip, sometimes all of them plus their parents. Just the way these things go.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
Look at Carolina Beach. You can buy a lot for $135,000 a few blocks from the beach. Put a trailer on your lot.

Later build a house on it. 

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
Mike,
We just finished 5 nights in a VRBO within walking distance of stone steps in Encinitas.  4 of us were comfortable and very content for under $200 a night.  I only have one other experience with VRBO while in Santa Barbara, and it was beyond spectacular.  Since it's usually only 2 of us, we don't really need much, but we like ground level board storage, and that's about it for being particular.

My wife recently talked me out of replacing my aging highlander with a crew cab truck.  MPGs, agility, parking, and upkeep have pushed my search toward small to medium SUVs, but I would like something that can handle towing a 1,500# tent trailer setup, just in case I get a camping bug.  She prefers more permanent accommodations, and keeps a can of Raid ready to kill any of those bugs that might come my way.

Pono,
It's been a while since we've seen an update to "Project Fritz"  >:(

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
Fritz has been taking a back seat to it's sidekick--Archie, the Dune Buggy I plan to drag behind it. I'm just about done with Archie and I'm anxious to get back to work on Fritz. I did finish the kichen cabinets, but that's the last thing I did.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
It would appear to the casual viewer that you have so many projects in back seats, your next project will be a roller coaster.  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
It would appear to the casual viewer that you have so many projects in back seats, your next project will be a roller coaster.  ;D

Too true, but it's a great ride.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 05:34:54 PM »
Slatchjim. Look at an older used Honda Ridgeline, good for towing... gas could be better, but really does the job well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal