Author Topic: Would a trailer work for beach camping on the east coast?  (Read 12611 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Would a trailer work for beach camping on the east coast?
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:52:57 PM »
It's looking more likely that we will end up in North Carolina before the end of the summer and I'm therefore thinking about a surf bum camping rig.  If I have to move to the Charlotte area, I will spend at least a week each month on the coast.  My wife has always wanted a compact travel trailer and I was wondering if I could successfully do the beach bum lifestyle, spending a week or two at a time on the coast, in a rig like one of those in the link.

If you were to spend a week or two at a time on the beach, what would you get?  What's the camping situation over there?  Would I be limiting myself towing around a little rig like one of these?  What would be the benefits and drawbacks on the east coast.  Should I just get a van and sleep in the back?

https://www.thespruce.com/glamping-worthy-camping-trailers-3017221
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:55:58 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Would a trailer work for beach camping on the east coast?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »
Plus for trailers: You drop them when you want to be and then have use of your rig. Downside--no such thing as outlaw camping with a trailer--you'll be in "camping" parks. Which have the same population density ad Manhattan.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
I think that would be great for weekends.  But, for a full week, I think you would find it to be too small.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Since I tent it always a trailer is an upgrade! In the Outer Banks I used to camp at Frisco Woods...WAY back in the 80s. Private site camping that had decent amenities and hook-ups. In RI Fisherman's Memorial Campgrounds are super nice but usually pretty full up. Then there's state campgrounds there....Burlingame State Forest...HUGE! Way more bare bones but tons of space.
Your link is drawing a blank 4me so I didn't get to look at your trailer.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
Hmm, the link works on my computer.  Try it again.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 10:13:38 PM »
I’m about to transition to a post work life and also want to spend more time overniting by the beach. For the undercover camping life a van seems to be more apt. A used work van can be fairly cheaply remodeled into an autonomous and stealthy abode.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 05:10:27 AM »
I've no opinion on the trailers, but I can advise that you won't be able to just pull into a parking lot at the beach and sleep there for the night around cape Hatteras.  I know of a couple guys who have tried and failed.  You have to be pretty creative to fly under the radar, and I don't think that involves any empty beach parking lots. 

Peter

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:19:28 AM »
My wife and I are talking about a similar rig (maybe a little bigger) when we retire. I think that size would be perfect for week long trips. We're thinking of taking the 1st two years of winters after retirement to do road trips around the country. Find the area we like for winters and then focus our time there when its cold.

I think you would be fine so long as you are diligent in planning your trips. I hear from my sister (who camps a lot in an RV) that the best places/times fill up quickly.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 05:22:15 AM »
Summer on the East Coast.

Idillic evenings on the beach usually mean BUGS. Tiny no seeum's to greenheads.
The weakness I see in a tiny camper is lack of indoor living space, so bring a pop-up screen room with you.(pic 1)

OR:
last time you were in the trailer living mode, I designed some stuff for you, that I had been thinking of.
I like Cargo Trailers. (after owning a 12 x 8 for moving stuff)
They are low cost, travel well and have a ton of space.

I don't like most comercially built trailers..... they waste too much space...
and most importantly, most lack creature comfort.
I designed my own boat with no built-ins, and bought real livingroom furniture, so I could actually LIVE on it. 
Totally awesome for a 6 month trip!

So, same with cargo trailer living..... modest, but with real recliners and some floor space.
They make great trailer bathroom modules that are plug and play, if you want that feature.

Something for a retired guy to do in middle earth..... build an escape  ;D

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 06:21:14 AM »
“Tiny no seeums to greenheadsl. You just ruined my day!!!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 07:04:25 AM »
Hey Creek, you peaked my curisoity with the utility trailer idea. 

My first thougt is that you could park very discreetly in a variety of public places.  On the other hand, would an RV park allow a utility trailer?  I suppose it would be easy enough to add a couple of windows, but there goes the clandestine aspects of the camper. 

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
My trailer stays at the beach 6 months out of year. Monthly rates beat daily rates and having it there, it is
ready for use without the prep, hookup and tow and the same to return. I like my 30ft toy hauler.
I can keep surf stuff and other gear in it while there or while away.

My trailer is at my favorite local surfing area. I get lots of surfing that I would normally miss. Two
sessions a day on good days. Oh Yeah. I have a home about 3 miles away which seems close,
but the trailer is on the beach.

As far as towing it every trip to surf.  Naaah.  You will also need a capable puller if you go bigger.
Mine gets 20 mpg and has over 700 foot lbs to torque. It is all worth it. Life is to short. Do what it
takes to be happy.

Creeks idea is good for some. My trailer only cost 13000, all set up with frig, stove, cabinets, bathroom
and sleeps 8. It also has fuel, generator, holds my UTV and has lots of storage. Pretty tough to get all that
out of an enclosed utility trailer. I bought mine used. Dealer wanted 23k when we started negotiating.

Hope it works out well for you regardless of which way you choose.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 08:17:16 AM »
Stealth camping on the NC/SC coast will be difficult.  Campgrounds will often be full.  Some people reserve a year in advance.  Who needs to be cush when you’re out having fun?  Why not get a cargo van, maybe a Transit Connect, put your boards in it, and also sleep in it?
Btw...I have friends in Manteo who are selling a nice house.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »
Stealth camping on the NC/SC coast will be difficult.  Campgrounds will often be full.  Some people reserve a year in advance.  Who needs to be cush when you’re out having fun?  Why not get a cargo van, maybe a Transit Connect, put your boards in it, and also sleep in it?
Btw...I have friends in Manteo who are selling a nice house.

I might just go ahead and buy a beach house too, so I might be interested. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
I've owned 3 converted vans and now own an A-Liner hard sided folding camper. Every camper has pluses and minuses and the Aliner fits our needs the best. Like Bill says, you need to camp it in a designated spot, but you can leave it there when you travel around. Also, you do not have the hassles of owning another motor vehicle that must be licenced, insured, and maintained.  With a trailer, you park it and leave it, just have to charge a battery and get some propane.

Here's mine

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard