Author Topic: SailDrone  (Read 12323 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SailDrone
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
This seems similar to what the private space industry has been doing. Would be interesting to see how they collaborate. Google maps for the ocean with water views?

Deep Sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
Alameda is a great location - nice weather and proximity to wind (the downside can be traffic, unless you're lucky enough to commute by boat or live/work on the island). There's definitely some major league backing/connections involved. Both Google 1 (Larry Page) and Google 2 (Sergey Brin) plus other Google execs. have all been chasing wind - Waddell Creek, Coyote or Sherman Island. It doesn't surprise me that the wind has brought these folks together. Good on Richard Jenkins.
SIC 14' V1 Bullet, Flying Dutchman, QB Ona Ava, Axis Foils, & Goya Sails.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »
Spent some time in Alameda when I was on the Enterprise. A little more time than we were supposed to. We didn't run aground going over the mud bank. No sir. Of course our Captain got the boot, and there was a big gouge taken out of the bank that wound up in our main condensers, and all the reactors but one was scrammed from high temperature in the hot leg (plugged condensers do that, no heat sink). And there was a lot of screaming and yelling, but we didn't run aground. Just seemed like it. A lot like it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
That's a great story PB!

Capt. R.J. Kelly said bluntly: 'I am the captain and I was in control. I am totally responsible for what happened. The cause is under investigation. We do not know at this time exactly what happened.'

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/04/28/The-nuclear-aircraft-carrier-USS-Enterprise-ran-aground-in/8921420350400/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:33:06 PM by Bean »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 07:32:56 PM »
Great story and instant verification!

Pono, the gratitude and empathy are key elements of life. Strange how it's missing in so many areas of our culture now. It saves me daily.

You can't be an entrepreneur without a huge dose of, "everything will be fine."

Took a big ass hit today in my biz but within 2 hours I could see that that hole I thought was blown in our plan is just a door to the next phase. We're rolling through it and ended on a high note. Sure, there's still going to be wreckage to clear, but in the grand scheme, all this stuff is just noise and BS. Waves don't care, they just keep coming, right?

The only way I can feel that way is the knowledge that I can live happily on a lot of money or a little and my wife shares that view. The irony is that folks who see both sides, and fear neither, often end up on the positive end of that range. (Note the real f word in there.)

I tell all my friends, I found my beautiful wife once I was willing to date women I thought weren't physically attractive. (My wife is a stunner.) I was no longer looking for the outside stuff and that ended up making me more attractive to women. Same with business. I hustle and still work to grow wealth, but it's all a game and I try to maintain gratitude for every meal and every breath and not focus just on the zeros. And me too, I could have ended up pushing one of those carts for sure myself if I hadn't been born lucky, and in just the right way, in just the right place, at just the right time, to just the right parents. Damn, what are the odds?

Thx guys, I needed to read all of this today.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
wow pb--you were there!

and cowboy--i have reached a similar attitude to my biz--given the stress so many of my friends have as they try to keep earning thru their 50's into 60's, i feel very lucky that i have a reasonable platform at which to work and do meaningful stuff every day--where i can choose when to walk away-i appreciate that as much as the money i make---perhaps my ambiton aint burning as hard as when i was younger, but my biz thrives nonetheless--makes me believe decency and empathy can coexist with good biz--or more: that empathy and decency are actually good for biz

one thing re this is certain: i have people who work for and partner with me. some are incredibly valauable to me and are frequently courted by my competition. i need them way more than they need me. i strive to make the world i provide them as "sticky" as possible, via good support, compensation, etc. but one thing that surprised me was the sticky effect that results from showing compassion to less-valuable partners and employees---ive had my assets say "wow, rick, that you didnt shaft so and so, and gave him a chance to redeem himself,  was impressive--that's quality leadership--when i see that, i know im in the right place"---now, honestly, if people dont hurt me, and treat me well, i reciprocate--them's life values. and i aint jesus christ, but i do seek to espouse decency and empathy---always thought it might cost me a bit, or be close to neutral re biz impact, but operated as tho that's just something you do, profit or not--but what a pleasant surprise that decency and kindness breeds loyalty from those who dont need at all to be loyal--and i have no biz without loyal effectiv epartners and employees--so it's clearly good for biz

now eff with me? cheat me? bye bye and dont think time will make me forget

re birthright--i won that lottery--ive worked hard and tried to be prudent and decent, but without birthright, all this shlt'd be pure fantasy.............

and really? most successful americans have won some sort of birthright lottery---pity those who think it's all them

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
The simple fact that I'm here living (assuming I really am) means all my ancestors survived long enough to reproduce. Not just the homo sapiens, but all the way back to the first wad of chemicals that writhed a little bit, picked up some energy and information, and then reproduced. Every business and every human with a pair of shoes and a bucket relies on infrastructure that they had no hand in creating. The notion that anyone did anything by themselves is bankrupt. Ayn Rand was an idiot who could write well.

I've learned both sides of treating employees well and being decent. I've reaped the rewards and I've been screwed. Doesn't matter. There are a lot of reasons to jump off a bridge, but I suspect one of the biggies is simply detesting yourself.

Eastbound--yes, I was there, but clueless as usual. I was a trainee in the #3 reactor plant, sitting at the control panel for one of the two reactors with my trainer off talking to someone. Everything flat, straight and normal when I suddenly got a high temperature alarm and average temperature started climbing. The operator sitting next to me on the other reactor (Crusader Rabbit was his nickname, for reasons that were obvious when anyone looked at him) had the same alarm. He stood up and scrammed his plant, then reached over to do mine when I came out of my stupor and beat him to it. The throttleman for the main turbine started spinning his throttles shut as the condenser pressure was shooting up and the plant sup (who I dimly recall was a huge Master Chief from Louisiana named John Guilliot) asked us what the fuck we thought we were doing scramming the plant during docking maneuvers. Jim Rhode, my sea daddy and trainer walked over, looked at my panel, and said "you did the right thing for a change, dipshit" (which was threatening to become my nickname). All hell broke loose, everyone was yelling. I didn't know what was going on until it was long over.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:27:01 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
Speaking of businesses. As a side hustle, I took over a small land surveying business a few years ago. It was in really bad shape financially and administratively. I took it over as president with two of the employees as minor partners while the prior owner fled the state. We were able to heal it up and now have a really good client base  and profits are pretty easy to come by. :fingerscrossed:

One of my partners is an American Indian and I told him that once the company was solvent and the downside risk was mitigated we would give him more ownership and register as a disadvantaged business. We have gone through the change in ownership over the past month. This morning he asked me to sign his request for vacation. I said "Dude, your'e the president of the company." It was funny to watch the wave of realization come over his face.

Make paddleboarding great again!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
this post is going #$%^ lets go supping  :P

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
You mean it's not still about saildrones??

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »
Sounds like a Kiddie Cruise. So glad I was in a Navel Air.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 08:25:13 PM »
I reported aboard in 1969 and left the navy in 1972. The grounding in the story you mention, Bean, was in 1980. Our Captain was named Tissot, and he got the boot for just skimming the mudbank. We didn't get hung up, and it wasn't called a "grounding".  We were told in no uncertain terms that we didn't run around.

The Enterprise has been decommissioned, which makes me feel very old. It was a pretty new ship in 1969 despite a fire and some 500 pound bombs going off on the deck and jamming up one of the elevators. Hard to believe it was taken out of service in 2012 and decommissioned in 2017.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
At the other end of the marine technology spectrum, I had a summer job on a 300' fish processor that was converted from a 1930's oil tanker (I kid you not).  Powered by 2 Nordberg 850hp diesels she would do about 8 kts.  On the other hand, she would also process about 8 million pounds of salmon in a season.

I also had a summer job working on the SS Manhattan at Hunters Point. (Still the worlds largest ice breaker).  After an extensive refitting, she ran aground in a typhoon and was sold for scrap. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:12:57 AM by Bean »

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
The notion that anyone did anything by themselves is bankrupt. Ayn Rand was an idiot who could write well.

To call a lady like this is not very gentlemanly... Especially if she can't answer... Especially if she wrote Atlas Shrugged, the most read book (in the fiction category) in the history

Sure Bill you was born in United States, the best country on this planet, and there was no merit of yours... Realise however that it is a tremendous luck and a huge advantage on its own.

She was born in the shithole and she saw and experienced a lot... things you can't even imagine... and there was no guilt on her part.
But she had a brain, and a mind and a free spirit and ability to analyse and see the primary and the secondary. And the talent, and she overcame and left a legacy.

and the phrase about the notion, you mean "you didn't build it", right? The true Marxist idea proclaimed by a true Marxist, BTW. And this idea is a real bankrupt.

and if you think for a moment that nothing depends on the individual, just read two pages in this book about what passengers in the doomed train think, the train that goes into the tunnel goes, and ask yourself a Q: who is an idiot? and is it really nothing depends from you?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
i aint touching this one--despite the layup it would be to have at it..............

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal