Author Topic: Turning for incoming wave  (Read 13641 times)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Turning for incoming wave
« on: May 29, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
Newbie here.  Have been trying to learn how to sup surf.  Have surfed most of my life.  Now in my 50s and with a plate in my neck (fused vertebrates), have neck stiffness after multiple days of prone paddling surfing, decided that stand up is my best long term option to maintain my passion for water sports.

this forum has been a huge wealth of tips.  One area that i still struggle with is turning the board around for incoming waves.  Sometimes i end up over turning or under turning the board.  Either way, i miss the wave.  Just wondering if there were any tips or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Turning for incoming wave
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:07:42 PM »
Practice practice practice. On flat water step to the tail stomp, spin, and splash. After a while it will get better. Guys who come from a windsurfing background are amazing to study!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:30:01 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
I'll add that your board can be a factor as well. I had a heavily rockered board that, when I would start paddling, would over rotate, beyond where I wanted the board to be.  Even though I knew it was likely to happen, it was hard to compensate for (at my novice skill level). So I got rid of the board.  8).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:18:44 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »
When I switched down to a smaller surf SUP board, my pivot turns were less consistent and i was missing waves. Now I turn earlier and more slowly so I don't fall off but I'm less consistent with my direction to the wave, I found the J stroke has become really important to keeping my tiny 8' surf SUP straight for the oncoming wave.

I recently saw a video about the J stroke in relation to catching waves specifically but I can't find it now. I think it was a group out of Nosara, CR that had put it together. But here is Robert with a good video, he's on flat water, but the technique is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBURA5HvTOM
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
Length determines how quickly you can spin around. On my short board I will lineup closer inside. I can wait till the last moment to decide weather I want this one or not. On my shortest board, I'll paddle it around in the lineup with my right foot back in a modified surf stance. All I have to do to turn is shift my weight more to the back foot. This causes the tail to sink. I'll take a strong turning paddle stroke and my board will pivot right in place. Then continue paddling on that side into the wave. My short board has no glide, so these are relatively steep and deep take-offs.
With a 10' to 11' boards, it's a little harder to stick the tail if you haven't practiced it a lot. I still shift my weight back and do the strong turning stroke, but it's not going to pivot in place. The weight back will just float the nose so your board turns like a shorter board arc. The longer boards will glide, so you pick your wave sooner and start turning to catch it while the waves still outside a bit. You may even turn early then start taking some strokes to build up some speed before the wave catches you.
With an even longer board like my 14' touring / race board, the turn is even more drawn out. I can pick a wave way outside to try to catch, which gives me plenty of time to get the board turned around. Because of the length of the board, I can catch it way outside and just keep paddling until I can feel the wave pulling it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »
During lulls I'd practice doing pivot turns and figure 8s. Also work on paddling into waves turing either left or right.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Lots of good advice so far for you fatfish!  TallDude is spot on regarding technique with various length and style of boards.  One thing I will add is that when you are starting out the board will feel like it has a mind of it's own when you turn for a wave - we've all been through it and it's particularly harrowing when it's crowded.  You'll learn to control it with your stroke and weight shift over time.

I short boarded my whole life pre-SUP so for me it's more natural to turn late and go with just a couple strokes.  Some guys are more comfortable making long paddles from the outside. 

As has been mentioned, practice turning whenever you can.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
thanks guys, great suggestions.  I am on a 8'10 Naish Mana so not too long.  Probably not a good one to start off on but like digger i rode and still ride shorter boards (love fishes).  I think the weighting advice is what i am doing wrong.  I am in a staggered stance but then weight my front foot as i am trying to turn around.  I think this is where i am going wrong.  Also the video above pointed out a lot of simple things to do (ie paddle angle) that i never thought of.

Will try this out, hopefully later today if i can get out of work reasonable time. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:32:30 PM by fatfish »

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 03:23:35 PM »
Welcome to the addiction fatfish!
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:19 PM »
Will try this out, hopefully later today if i can get out of work reasonable time.

Where do you typically surf?  What kind of waves?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:11:24 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 06:11:06 PM »
I mostly surf around san clemente, Doho, Sano, Trails.  soft waves.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »
I mostly surf around san clemente, Doho, Sano, Trails.  soft waves.
Well that's really cool..hit me up the next time you're heading down to Sano, and I'll meet you there (if I haven't met you already).  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 08:07:11 PM »
I think you will get much better advice then from me and the advice already given is spot on particularly just time on the water. I started out new at 50 with no surfing experience and struggled mightly turning into waves particularly with wind. Before I even starting understand anything about fins, I started playing with size and placement and was amazed how little adjustments gave me much greater control turning into a wave. There probably is no science behind it and maybe it was psychological but it helped me. Adding a nubster to my quad and going from a thruster to a 2 + 1 gave me a much greater level of control. Also moving the 1 all the way back and going bigger also really helped. I now actually use my fins to surf and understand how they work (I think), but I initially just adjusted them for control. Once my wave count went up, the micro adjustments with foot placement just fell into place. Now it may be a couple of quick strokes or stepping all the way back on the tail...what ever is needed. One last thought, I always turn into a wave to my right. I just never figured it out to my left.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 09:04:29 PM »
I also find that turning to take a wave is much easier when the water is not choppy or bumpy.  We currently have the typical lumpy and choppy spring conditions here in SoCal, and that make turning around more challenging.  Seems like your balance (at least mine) is more vulnerable when you are trying to turn for a wave.  That's when most of my falls happen. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:18:13 AM »
Welcome to the club fatfish.  All the tips are here above and slowly over time it’ll all come together.

That said, if I’m on a low volume board, and lumpy as Zoo says, it still is the last remaining kook move I can suffer from.  Probably the trickiest tool in our work box.  Especially enjoyable on a cracking and charged day in front of the whole crew on a set wave.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal