Author Topic: Buckles Sometimes Break  (Read 20755 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Buckles Sometimes Break
« on: May 29, 2018, 07:19:22 AM »
These straps had served me well for over 7 years.  I don't know why the aluminum casting fractured,  but suspect it must have taken a pretty good impact at some point.  In any event, the buckle came apart while I was tying off the the board, so no harm.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Buckles Sometimes Break
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:32:03 AM »
looks like a bad way to rack up---like, the strap is doing more to stress the rack mounts, than to secure the board tightly

just saying
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »
In that case, you would probably be appalled to see me hoist the hard top into my garage ceiling by the very same racks.  ;D

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:19:37 AM »
I'm sure I saw something similar on a forum a while back - which worries me as I use these buckles too.  I think the previous case blamed saltwater corrosion?   Anyone else seen this happen?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
I'll have to check mine now. BTW that is a terrible way to rack. I always use a strap per rack and wrap the excess strap. very little strain on the buckle and if one were to fail it doesn't really matter.

This is the 1st I've seen kanu-locks fail. Steelcores corroded after a few years but my kanu-locks still look good after 3...but I'll be checking now.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »
Funny but thats how I've seen lots of people suggest you strap down a board.  I do it the same way however since I bought my straps in a pair, I double strap it just in case one fails.  Doesn't take anymore time (loop them at the same time).

The issue with using one per rack is, what if the front one fails?  your board is going to catch the oncoming wind and go crazy. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »
The other buckle in the pair seems pretty good which is why I think it suffered some sort of impact.  That is the nature of cast aluminum.

And yes, Stoney there are several good reasons why a single strap is an awful way to go.  Like eastbound said, it does put more stress on the mounts.  Depending on the rack foot used, the racks could come loose and slide together loosing all tension.  And, lack of redundancy.  Why go one when It's just as easy to go two?

Kwolfe, one strap per load bar gives better redundancy.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Stone axe “ I always use a strap per rack and wrap the excess strap. “

Hi Stone Axe

For years I use to wrap the excess strap. This last year I stopped, just open the door, throw the hanging strap into the car and close the door on it. Quick and simple. Not good though if raining as the water will track into the car.....

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
That's a good way to slow down a casual thief too FRP.  Just tie a knot on the end and close the door on it.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
BTW that is a terrible way to rack. I always use a strap per rack and wrap the excess strap. very little strain on the buckle and if one were to fail it doesn't really matter.

I agree that one strap per rack is likely more secure (and use it with my race board or at high speeds) but I've got thousands of miles on this single strap set up - first learned it from Robert's (BluePlanet) video.  Ridiculously fast and no need to even walk to the other side of the vehicle. 

The thing with 2 straps is that I imagine most of the force is on the front one while driving, and if that one fails it really does matter.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 03:04:12 PM »
Clearly I’m a one strap guy for my short trip to my local.  I even successfully drove home without any straps one morning.😁

But highway speeds are different, that second strap could make a positive difference in the outcome if the front strap or even the rack itself fails.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
Actually, I use ropes on my truck. I will add straps for theft protection if I think it's necessary. I use the straps on my car if i'm surfing before/after work. If you pull the strap tight and then wind the excess once around the buckle and then around the rack a few times before tucking in the end it takes most of the strain off the buckle and won't come off even if the buckle loosened or broke. The 9' straps give me enough slack with one board. I have an identically keyed set of 15' (I think) for the long trips with lots of boards. i'll use ropes and straps then.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
@Stoneax
“If you pull the strap tight and then wind the excess once around the buckle and then around the rack a few times before tucking in the end it takes most of the strain off the buckle and won't come off even if the buckle loosened or broke.”

I am having trouble visualizing how this takes the strain of the buckle and would hold if the buckle broke.  I probably just need more coffee.   

Could you post a photo of that technique?

Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
I thought Robert was nutz using that method.

1. Single point of failure
2. Tightening the strap pulls hard on the racks, trying to force them together. If they move the strap comes off.
3. Single strap across the board--good for crushing rails
4. Buzzzzz
5. Single point of failure

One of those things that works fine until it doesn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 09:15:55 PM »
I would agree with 1, 2 and 5.  But, 3 and 4 are not issues unique to the single strap approach. 

Well, I still have one good strap left...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard