Author Topic: SUP Paddle Handle in Face  (Read 10739 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP Paddle Handle in Face
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
I just got 3 stitches in my eyebrow from a SUP paddle handle in the face. Most importantly, it ended my awesome surf session and I am out of the ocean for at least a week (am a little scared of my paddle). I was SUP surfing, paddling for a wave when my top hand came off the handle (I guess). This is the second time I have taken a paddle handle to the face in the last few months. Has anyone else done this? Disclaimer: My left hand, top hand on strong side is small, while my right hand is normal size (large)...so it may be a physiological problem. Nonetheless, I am wondering if others may have experienced this injury. I can't remember if I was switching paddles sides and missed the grab with my top hand ...now that I think of it, that may have been what happened. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: SUP Paddle Handle in Face
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
I took a paddle to the ear wipin' on a sizeable bomb a coupla winters ago...no stitches luckily, probably because I was in a hooded wetsuit. It was a pretty good hit though and had me worried. Ear was ringing for like 5 minutes and it felt like it mighta been bleeding. Those paddles can be scary when they get away from you.
Heal up quick, liv2surf. Choice user name.
This was the wave that nailed me.  Almost didn't go on it. I knew that end section was gonna be bad.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »
I have done almost the same thing a couple times. Just in the last few years arthritis has come on strong...unexpected slips of the grip...took one to the lip and a couple close misses. I have to remind myself to maintain a strong grip. The stiffness in my hands means the grip doesn't feel weak to me but it certainly isn't what it used to be.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »
Just in the last few years arthritis has come on strong. I have to remind myself to maintain a strong grip.
Gettin' old is definitely a challenge. Maintain that grip, stoney!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »
It's an incredibly clumsy and lame thing to do, so of course, I've done it several times. The worst one was paddling for a good sized Kanaha wave. In my excitement, the handle slipped through my fingers and clubbed me in the mouth hard enough to stun me. Not recommended while going for a good sized wave. The end result was messy and substantially worse than just smacking myself in the face.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »
Try not to switch paddle side as the wave approaches,
that way you already have a firm grip on the handle,
less chance of a missed grab as you dig hard at drop in.

I can def see breaking a tooth on a bad grab as you drive down the face  :-\

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 03:56:02 AM »
Bummer, sorry about that. You mentioned you might have "missed the grab" when switching sides. You should not have to "go find" and grab the tee grip during a side switch for exactly this reason- missing the grab. Here is the proper way to switch sides so that you don't miss the grab doing a side change-

1. Let go of the tee grip with the top hand
2. That hand then grabs the shaft BELOW the low hand.
3. The low hand stays wrapped around the shaft and slides up the shaft to the tee grip. You never lose contact with the shaft while the low hand goes directly to the tee grip.

Hope that helps.
Bunch of old shit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal