Author Topic: ACA SUP Certification  (Read 9484 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
ACA SUP Certification
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
Anybody out there have experience with ACA SUP certification? I'm going forwards with this idea of mine to create a watersports/environmental center on my town waterfront, and I guess I need this for insurance purposes. I already have PaddleFit certification, but that won't work with a mixed group of kayaks and SUPs.

It's funny. I looked over the document that lists what the skills are (https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/aca.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/SEI-Courses/L2_SUP_InstCrit.pdf), and I know all of them. So it's paying someone to tell me I know what I know. A little frustrating, but that's how these things are. Ultimately it's about getting that insurance.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: ACA SUP Certification
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
Hey Spoon, I am an ACA SUP L2 Instructor Trainer, I know a little about the certification process, I run several Instructor Certification Workshops in Massachusetts every year. In fact I am putting together my Spring/Summer schedule this week. It is great that you are already proficient with all the L2 skills listed on the Instructor Criteria, That is exactly the starting point for taking the course. The course is not designed to teach those skills to you, it is expected that candidates come already competent at those skills. The certification process is to teach you how to TEACH those skills to inexperienced paddlers, and that is a very different thing. If I have been paying attention here over the years I think you are involved in high school education? This is akin to someone who has a BS in English then going to get certified to teach English- a very different program. The majority of the 3 day L2 course is spent analyzing stroke fundamentals and designing games, activities etc to have beginner students practice and improve their paddling. I think it is a fantastic program. If you want to chat more about it give me a call 508 951-3102 or PM me here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:35:26 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:19:20 AM »
If anybody is interested in doing an ACA certification course in the Hudson Valley, let me know. There's the possibility of one the weekend of July 7 or later, but the organizer needs about 5 people to do it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:25:37 AM by Ichabod Spoonbill »
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 07:48:56 AM »
I took my Paddle Canada SUP Instructor’s training a couple of years ago, and I remember going into it that I was a little nervous about whether or not my skills would be sufficient, but was fairly confident in my ability to teach. I wasn’t a teacher, but had done some instructing when I was working and always got good feedback about my teaching ability.

Funny how it turned out though. There were three of us taking SUP Instructors course. My SUP skills were probably the best of the three of us taking the course, but where I needed the most work was on the instruction side. I quickly learned that teaching in a classroom setting is a totally different thing that teaching outside in the elements. There are more distractions outside, you need to consider the weather and the elements, etc., etc. Makes perfect sense when you think about it, but it was just something I hadn’t really put my mind to until I took the course.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
I am running an ACA L1/L2 in Westport Mass on the weekend of June 29, 30, July 1st and I have 2 spots available. Message me here if you are interested or call my phone number in the post up above.
Bunch of old shit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal