Author Topic: Best downwind board for my area? (SW Florida)  (Read 3404 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Best downwind board for my area? (SW Florida)
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
I live in a spot that's OK but not great for downwinding. Small to medium disorganized chop on top of small swells that tend to head into shore more so than in the direction of the run. Winds typically 10-20 knots on downwind days, with a few 25 knot days a year. 

Of the boards that gzasinets and I have tried here, we both seem to agree that the 14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon is the standout, with a clear speed and ease of use advantage over the runners up SIC 14x27 and AllStar 14x24.5.

Perhaps the only downside of the Fanatic is that it can be a bit sticky and slow when not on a bump, what with the wide shape and big fat nose.

So what do you think- Is the 14x27.25 Fanatic likely to be as good as it gets for here, or might there be some even quicker thing? Would unlimiteds even work in the junky-funky conditions we often have?

14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best downwind board for my area? (SW Florida)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »
Ok so the first thing to get straight is that 10-20 knots isn’t really downwinding. It’s downbreezing at best (although where I live 10knots is considered still wind).

So a DW-specific board like the SIC Bullets are not designed to be used in those conditions, really. Downwinding starts at 25 knots, and starts to really get going over 30. In those conditions the SIC would walk all over the others.

Forget the All Star. It’s never been as good at downwinders IMO as the brand would have you think.

The Falcon is actually quite respectable in downbreezing - although with winds that light ideally you’d have one of the narrower models.

Other boards for you to consider that are good downbreezers are the Naish Maliko and the Bark Vapor. If the bumps are pretty much just like ripples then the SIC RS goes like a scalded cat as well (and is fast but pretty technical in bumps over a foot or so).

Then there’s the Ace, of course. That can be a lot of fun downbreezing (but best left to the pros over 25 knots unless you are inland).

Try a 14ft Vapor if you can (ideally in ghost carbon) and a Naish Maliko 14x26. Maybe a 14x26 RS too if you want something that is fast and easy when there’s no wind as well. All of these are just as stable as the 27” wide Falcon, really.

Or if you want a bit more of a specialty DW board, there is the new SIC downwind board, the Bayonet, which is designed for lighter winds than the Bullet. The Jimmy Lewis Rail is decent in lightish winds too (and can handle more). None of these speciality DW boards will be as fast as the others in flat conditions but they will be a lot more fun and easy on those rare 25 knot days. And they are very nice to paddle in the ocean at all times. Raceboards can be fast but hard going in choppy conditions where DW-designed boards are a pleasure.

Enjoy! :)

Btw, if you really like stability in a board then consider the 14x28 Maliko. I had a quick paddle on DavidJohn’s (DJ) Maliko in Melbourne (thanks DJ!) when it was probably only 10-15 knots and was surprised at how well it went in the little bumps. There’s a lot to be said for stability and a large planing area in messy downbreezing, if fun is your goal. I think maybe his 14x28 actually went better in downbreeze conditions than the 14x26 I subsequently tried at home. This runs contrary to received wisdom (which would say that in light winds the narrower board should be better), but that’s my experience. As I say, there can be benefits to more planing area. I actually think the DJ version off the Maliko (14x28) would be a very nice all round coastal board for a lot of people. We don’t all want to be wobbling around on narrow logs! :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:43:21 PM by Area 10 »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:17:58 PM »
Other boards for you to consider that are good downbreezers are the Naish Maliko and the Bark Vapor.
If the bumps are pretty much just like ripples then the SIC RS goes like a scalded cat as well (and is fast but pretty technical in bumps over a foot or so).
Then there’s the Ace, of course. That can be a lot of fun downbreezing (but best left to the pros over 25 knots unless you are inland).
Try a 14ft Vapor if you can (ideally in ghost carbon) and a Naish Maliko 14x26. Maybe a 14x26 RS too if you want something that is fast and easy when there’s no wind as well. All of these are just as stable as the 27” wide Falcon, really.
Or if you want a bit more of a specialty DW board, there is the new SIC downwind board, the Bayonet, which is designed for lighter winds than the Bullet. The Jimmy Lewis Rail is decent in lightish winds too (and can handle more). None of these speciality DW boards will be as fast as the others in flat conditions but they will be a lot more fun and easy on those rare 25 knot days. And they are very nice to paddle in the ocean at all times.

What he said :-) go for the Ghost carbon version for the lighter wind....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
Definitely would love to try Maliko in our conditions.   
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:20:34 AM »
+1 For the Maliko. Its low volume/low profile makes it really comfortable  board in messy conditions.
the 14x26 is very stable and will give you the speed you like in the flatter conditions and you'll find
it very hard to pearl this nose.
in progress...

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »
  Vapor. It's great at pretty much everything downwinding in Florida. Covers everything we get and is superb in the ocean in general.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
  Vapor. It's great at pretty much everything downwinding in Florida. Covers everything we get and is superb in the ocean in general.

Works too in the PNW :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
I agree with maliko, its one of the best allrounder board I've ever tested and it can haddle the rougher condition and on windy days.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal