Author Topic: Best Aftermarket Tie-downs  (Read 4692 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Best Aftermarket Tie-downs
« on: May 27, 2018, 07:24:10 AM »
I'm planning a long paddling trip with some friends, down the Hudson from Albany to Peekskill. This is a 90 mile, 4–5 day paddle. There's an established water trail, which makes camping easy.

Of course, I've never done this. I don't have a real camping board, but I'm thinking of modifying my Amundsen 12'6 with extra tie-downs. It has four in the front, and I want to put four more in the back. What tie downs are best. These's the EZ Deck Plugs, which are had plastic and stick up a little from the deck. Then there's the Bungee It system with has soft gear ties.

I like the soft Bungee It system rather than the EZ Deck plugs. I'm worried that the soft attachments might break or tear. Does that happen, or am I just being a worry wart? The EZ Deck Plugs are sturdier, but I don't like how they stick up. What do you guy think, or are there other options I haven't considered? (Anybody want to loan me a Bic Wing maybe?)
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best Aftermarket Tie-downs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:09 AM »
No question, the NSI attachment plates.  https://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=344

The toughest attachment plates by far, and they lay flat. Some folks have copied them, but they are inferior crap. I use them for everything now--even straps to carry my boards. NSI also does these tri attachments, and they're pretty good, but I just buy the rubber/spectra plates. Much stronger.
https://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=361&idcategory=93
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:59:37 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »
Bill, I was working about those plates because they don't look so sturdy in the pics. But you're saying that they're really tough?

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
But you're saying that they're really tough?
without a doubt plenty tough and the best there is out there...quit looking and get those.

I think that Amundsen will make a great camping/excursion board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:02 AM »
^^What Luca said. Much tougher than anything else, tougher than ez deck. Just make sure when you stick them down that they are where you want them to be. I've heard of people getting them off with denatured alcohol, a plastic scraper and a lot of time, but from my experience I think it would be easier to cut them out and reglass.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
+2 on the NSI
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 03:42:35 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll be getting them soon.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:17:31 AM »
Had NSI on my bullet for years and they are awesome!
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 06:54:00 AM »
I used the EZ-Plugs and have no complaints, just a note they are flat and if your deck is curved they may not contour to it, I sanded mine to contour to the curve of the deck with 80 grit sand paper...  They don't stick up any more that the loops on the soft stick on ones.

I used them well over 1.5 years ago to add to carry handles for lifting and loading as well as a pair used to tie down my cooler/drybox. I did not use the glue that came with the plugs however, I used g-flex epoxy adhesive. I use those handles everytime I lift and/or carry the SUP, and the cooler is secured down with bungie ties.

Old fugger who just likes to fish

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 07:12:00 AM »
NSI is the right call for any mission critical usage IMO. I've used their handles, which uses the same glue, instead of
my built-in handles on my boards. They are always my first stop when buying this kind of equipment.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »
These are really great and look good too. The pedigree speaks for itself.

http://www.stic-it.com/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 09:06:09 AM »
NSI is an easy choice for me, I can walk to their manufacturing facility from my house in less than five minutes. They're also the US distributor for RSPro, so any time I get a new board in the gorge, the next stop is there. They fit a lot of clever manufacturing into a space that's probably 1/3 the size of my shop. I think it helps them a lot that they get instant feedback on any product. As I recall, the first version of the attachment plates were a little smaller and the rubber wasn't quite as tough. Those were actually just fine, but this version is bombproof. You can stick them on surfaces with compound curves with no problem. That 3M VHB adhesive is fierce though, double check everything before you peel off the backing. As soon as it touches the board, its permanent. I've got one attachment point on my Bullet V1 that's part of a front deck tiedown--it was supposed to be about two inches further back from where it now sits. I knew when I set it down that it was wrong, but even though I hadn't pressed it into place it wasn't coming up. Somehow I got the measurement wrong and it's visibly and obviously out of place. Every time I look at it I think "I want to move that", but then I come to my senses.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:08:59 AM by PonoBill »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
Go with NSI. They are the best.   ;)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
NSI for sure. Not only does the NSI spectra loop tie downs have the strongest adhesive of the aftermarket tie downs, they are the most versatile and the only one of those listed here that are wide enough to get a strap through. For multi day trips, it is much better to use staps on your big load rather than bungee cord because if you tip over, you won’t have a yard sale and your gear stays centered when you get right side up again. I’ve been broadsided by waves and swell more than once with a loaded board and staps definitely helped in keeping the essentials on board and centered.

I also find that using larger diameter bungee cord helps as well and keeping it as tight as possible works well. A combination of bungee cord and staps is good because you can slip things like your flip flops or snack bag under the bungee for easy access.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:20:24 AM by robon »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
Good. So these aren't tie downs where you need to sand down the section. I'm glad. I look forward to installing them. I'll post picks when I do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal