Author Topic: Thoughts on a GoPro  (Read 9750 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thoughts on a GoPro
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
So while walking through Costco the other day, an end display with the GoPro HERO5 bundle caught my attention, and was wondering if it's a worthwhile investment for the price ($250) or if it's already outdated with the other GoPro versions already out, and if the package includes all the stuff I'd need to get some of the cool water shots I'm seeing others post.

Thanks in advance for any technical, and practical assistance you can provide.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a GoPro
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 05:21:57 AM »
sorry i gotta say it

my thoughts on gopro are that viewing first person video makes me nauseous

when short bits are fit in with normal perspective, it can enhance--but lengthy first-person footage doesnt work for me
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 05:42:44 AM »
Had both GoPro 5 and 6. Until I lost my 5 on the downwinder :) In terms of video quality there is no difference between two. Great video/images. Why I am sticking with 6 is that amazing electronic image stabilization. 6 almost looks like you are using a gimbal. And the RAW photo capability is just awesome on those cams.
Here is a shot from last night in Naples FL
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 06:09:33 AM »
Had both GoPro 5 and 6. Until I lost my 5 on the downwinder :) In terms of video quality there is no difference between two. Great video/images. Why I am sticking with 6 is that amazing electronic image stabilization. 6 almost looks like you are using a gimbal. And the RAW photo capability is just awesome on those cams.

That's a great one Greg, but please post the money shot, title "The Joy of Paddling" 8)
in progress...

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 07:11:58 AM »

That's a great one Greg, but please post the money shot, title "The Joy of Paddling" 8)

There you go

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 07:16:23 AM »
Beautiful! maybe Admin can put it on the homepage?
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 07:31:50 AM »
I'm looking to upgrade from my old GoPro Hero. The Hero5 and Sessions 5 both have image stabilization (which the Hero4 and standard Sessions don't), but it's just much better stabilization on the Hero6. The Hero's have back screens and changeable batteries for longer outings, where as the Sessions don't have back screens and have to be charged once the fixed internal battery dies. Those are the main differences that I've been able to make of.
Summary:
Pay more now for better image stabilization. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:33:43 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 08:03:36 AM »
I'm looking to upgrade from my old GoPro Hero. The Hero5 and Sessions 5 both have image stabilization (which the Hero4 and standard Sessions don't), but it's just much better stabilization on the Hero6. The Hero's have back screens and changeable batteries for longer outings, where as the Sessions don't have back screens and have to be charged once the fixed internal battery dies. Those are the main differences that I've been able to make of.
Summary:
Pay more now for better image stabilization.

Right on. For me that stabilization was enough to pay more and 4K@60 frames was just an icing on the cake.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »
sorry i gotta say it

my thoughts on gopro are that viewing first person video makes me nauseous

when short bits are fit in with normal perspective, it can enhance--but lengthy first-person footage doesnt work for me
LOL! Yeah, after sleeping on it, I kind of came to the same conclusion, or really more like....

I have a mental video of how cool I surf/sup/foil/whatever already in my head...sure as heck don't want to ruin that by actually seeing what a kook I really am, and look like out there on the water.  :-[ ;D

Thanks for the info, and help all...think I'm gonna just keep on keeping on without one.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 07:26:40 AM »
think I'm gonna just keep on keeping on without one.
Every surfer should own one. They are very useful cameras. Paddle mount can yield some really good pov compared to nose mount. and there's also a hundred other things you can use them for besides surfing. It's a "Go out and have fun w/it" thing. I really like Night and Video Time-lapse modes. Very cool features on just about all GoPros now.
 These are all off a Hero4 silver which is not in production anymore. Seriously have had this thing for almost four yrs now. Would like a Hero6 but can't justify spending all that $$ on it when the Four is still working strong.

vlcsnap-error291_edit by surfercook, on Flickr

Guiones by surfercook

Marbella by surfercook

river-crossing by surfercook

duck-diver by surfercook

P1220196 by surfercook

Screenshot_20170228-164412 by surfercook, on Flickr

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:36:57 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »
think I'm gonna just keep on keeping on without one.
Every surfer should own one. They are very useful cameras. Paddle mount can yield some really good pov compared to nose mount. and there's also a hundred other things you can use them for besides surfing. It's a "Go out and have fun w/it" thing. I really like Night and Video Time-lapse modes.
Yeah, just not that kind of person who needs, (or wants) to document everything I do.

I'm sure it would end up just like my drone...used twice when I got it well over a year ago, and is now just collecting dust.  And since I'm in the water for fun, I personally don't care how I look doing it...so POV no matter where it's mounted really doesn't matter to me.

I'm also not one who thinks that everyone or anyone else really needs, nor cares to see what it is that I'm out doing at anytime. Nothing personal, and all of your posted pics and vids are nice, but why? Do you really pull them out, and look at them all by yourself often, or do you think others really want, should, or need to see them?

Guess I just don't consider myself that interesting, and that what I do is for my own enjoyment, and that no one else really gives a shit about it as a whole other than myself. But that's obviously just me...YMMV.  :)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
You did ask if you should get one. But  from the dusty drone it sounds like you're not to interested in photography. I was on the fence about getting a drone and am still w/out.
  I don't really need to video myself, but I've always been interested in photography since an early age. My dad was into it when I was young and I guess it just rubbed off on me. I had two years of photography in HS too. Back in the darkroom days! Then when digital cameras started getting popular I was amazed. Even took a couple of adult night classes at the HS for Photoshop and camera basics. I'm always trying to capture cool images, although lately things haven't been so great for me so I've been kinda not motivated. I do use the SS alot though. The SS3 is really easy to setup and there's no fumbling w/a camera in the water. My last go out produced this endless summer kinda image. I was pretty impressed w/it.

vlcsnap-2018-05-23-21h24m18s607 by surfercook, on Flickr
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 05:13:12 AM »
Yeah, I have the GoPro Session 5, and I'll say image stabilization is very helpful as well as (and it sounds kooky, but no one ever notices) - voice control. The nice thing is that you can tell it to turn on/off really quick while paddling back out and/or highlight tag videos.

It has 2 benefits for me -

1. It really does pull some amazing shots, especially in photo mode.
2. There's a post in the Technique forum where the GoPro showed that my front side foot placement was way off, I was able to fix it relatively quickly and it's really helped me surfing.

The other bonus to the Session - small form factor on the paddle, less weight. Although, spend the extra money for the Gopro official handlebar mount - I lost one because of a knockoff mount.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 09:59:41 AM »
I'm also not one who thinks that everyone or anyone else really needs, nor cares to see what it is that I'm out doing at anytime. Nothing personal, and all of your posted pics and vids are nice, but why? Do you really pull them out, and look at them all by yourself often, or do you think others really want, should, or need to see them?

Guess I just don't consider myself that interesting, and that what I do is for my own enjoyment, and that no one else really gives a shit about it as a whole other than myself. But that's obviously just me...YMMV.  :)

So, there I am bumming a bit that I’m all out of my filming loop. Gear is scattered about and the last vid I made was almost a year ago...
but little did I know, some of you guys don’t even dig them.

The reason that I post is to share the stoke. The camera is pointed away from me, I’m not the story, the surf is. 

Not everyone here has access to the sea or can even surf.  I’ve always had that group mainly in mind when I post. And any surfers who enjoy the stoke is a plus. Tip, don’t watch on your phone.

And actually I do pull out my vids and watch. After a life of surfing, individual sessions disappear into one long ride. A few moments are burned into the memory but most are forgotten.
When I’m watching, I’m back there, for a moment.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »

So, there I am bumming a bit that I’m all out of my filming loop. Gear is scattered about and the last vid I made was almost a year ago...
but little did I know, some of you guys don’t even dig them.

The reason that I post is to share the stoke. The camera is pointed away from me, I’m not the story, the surf is. 

Not everyone here has access to the sea or can even surf.  I’ve always had that group mainly in mind when I post. And any surfers who enjoy the stoke is a plus. Tip, don’t watch on your phone.

And actually I do pull out my vids and watch. After a life of surfing, individual sessions disappear into one long ride. A few moments are burned into the memory but most are forgotten.
When I’m watching, I’m back there, for a moment.
Like photos, they're just fond memories. Before phones or even affordable personal video cameras I did a lot of things that I wished I had videos of.  I was fortunate to have a cousin who was into film photography in my teens, who captured a handful of shots of my at skateboard parks and on skate board ramps I built in the 70's. I have fun sharing those with my son and his friends. I have a number of videos of me paddling or surfing on YouTube, but again they're more for just sharing with family and friends. My favorite GoPro ones, are my chest mount POV which basically have my friends in them. SanoSup included ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard