Author Topic: Drones  (Read 2238 times)

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Drones
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »
Looking for guidance on a new drone. I have narrowed my choice to the Mavic Pro Platinum and the Phantom 4 Pro, but I am open to suggestions if there are better drones available.
Thanks in advance.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:17 AM »
I have the Autel X-Star Premium.

For the price ($750), I think it's a great buy, checks off all the boxes, and does as advertised....

The X-Star Premium is a sophisticated yet amazingly easy-to-fly quadcopter designed for superb aerial imagery. The 4K camera and 3-axis gimbal can record crystal-clear, smooth Ultra HD videos or take 12-MP photos with HD Live View up to 1.2 miles away. This drone is ready to fly out of the box, and can be flown with or without the help of the free Starlink mobile app. Powered by an intelligent flight control system, dual GPS and GLONASS satellite navigation and aided by the Starpoint Positioning System, the drone stays safe and stable, even indoors or at low altitudes. Where other drones might become erratic or fly away when there is magnetic interference, the X-Star is equipped with our exclusive SecureFly technology to help your drone come back home safely.

Learning to fly the X-Star is easy: you can start the motors, take off and land, hover, or have the drone automatically return home by using the one-touch buttons on the remote controller. The controller’s integrated LCD displays critical flight information, allowing the Starlink mobile app to show fullscreen live HD video. Starlink brings a wealth of autopilot features such as follow, orbit, waypoints, and also lets you adjust camera settings and record images in flight. With the X-Star Premium from Autel Robotics, a new perspective is just one flight away.

Included in package:

- X-Star Premium Aircraft
- Premium hard case
- Remote Controller
- Charging Cable
- 64-GB MicroSD card that can record over 2 hours of 4K video
- Intelligent battery for up to 25 minutes of flying time per charge
- 1-hour fast charger
- Spare propellers
- Small parts

Just another consideration of you've not seen or heard of it yet.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
I'd go with the Mavic Pro Premium. Excellent performance, tiny form factor, high reliability.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »
love my mavic pro--gon fly it in ct and ri this wknd

thing's idiot proof for simple flying/filming, and goes very deep with features if one is motivated

night and day vs my ss3: a timesuck tinkerfest
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
The Mavic has an advertised range of 4.3 miles. Is this a realistic range?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:19:32 AM »
i thought it was around 2--never went past about 1.5, but i believe the unit tells you when you are approaching range limit

flew mine off the coast here and circled a huge freighter > a mile offshore---very cool

learned later that taking photos of any ocean-going ship is totally taboo, and that circling one with a drone risks a visit form homeland security!

no mas that!

cant say enough pos re the mavic pro

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the input. I went with the Mavic and I am very pleased. I am able to fly and control it up to 11,000 ft away.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 07:01:46 AM »
I always wanted a drone but just never had enough motivation to do it. My SOLOSHOTs and GoPros have always kept me quite busy.

flew mine off the coast here and circled a huge freighter > a mile offshore---very cool
learned later that taking photos of any ocean-going ship is totally taboo, and that circling one with a drone risks a visit form homeland security!
For real you actually had Homeland on you for that? Details?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »
no homeland, cookie--it risks a visit from homeland security, coast guard or some other enforcement entity-i got away with it---like apparently it's illegal to surveil ocean going merchant ships?? makes sense, frankly
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal