Author Topic: 2014 Bark Expedition 14': feedback  (Read 8153 times)

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
2014 Bark Expedition 14': feedback
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:28:40 AM »
Looking for a tripping/open water board and one of these popped up at a good price. I can't find much info on this specific model, would love to know if anyone has feedback: pros and cons. I already have lightweight 14 for training and hammering around the flats. I am looking for something that can handle a load and messy conditions. Thanks.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Bark Expedition 14': feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:06:41 AM »
Is this the old style one (looks like a big surfboard, came mostly in yellow or red deck)?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:58:51 AM »
If it is the one on SUP used boards for Sale Canada then it is the TWC surfy older design not the new Downwinder design.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »
I think everyone should own one of these, for a while at least, it's such a unique piece of kit. I swore I would never sell mine, until I sold it of course. Lighter and newer took priority in my limited storage.

It glides like no tomorrow.
OceanAddict has one I believe.

Norm Haan used one in the environment Singingdog is asking about. Literally an expedition:

https://normhann.com/2010/10/the-14-surftech-joe-bark-expedition-board-review/

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:13:49 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »
Yeah Norm brought his really old -> yellow and white on a DW run years ago.  First time I had met him.  He looked at my M14 and said "Nice looking board!"

Then proceeded down the boat ramp at Porteau.  Jumped on his board -> and literally got his Expedition to plane away from us.  Talked to him later and he told me he really liked his board for DW and cruising around.  But then he is a really skilled strong paddler -> especially over long distances.  No doubt one of the best if not the best in our area.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
It’s tough, heavy, lots of rocker, low volume, not as stable as you might think, downwinds well, is slow in flat water and upwind. I wouldn’t say it’s the most obvious choice for paddling with lots of gear because of the low volume. But it’s entertaining in messy stuff, and is as tough as old boots, unlike nearly all 14fters these days. It’s a bit of an odd one, but can be found at bargain prices now and if you just want something for general ocean paddling or downwind it’s definitely worth a look if it’s cheap. There’s not really much else out there that is similar - maybe the Sunova Search 14, but that is still quite different. One thing to check is whether it’s got the old style handle (not a ledge one). It’s pretty heavy so you wouldn’t want to be carrying it far with the old style handle unless you are pretty strong. I was actually looking at one of these in a sale near me ecsbtiy and wondering if I could justify getting it just for friends etc. It’s the sort of thing you could loan out, and is useful to have in the quiver for mooching about, when a fragile raceboard would be a liability.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal