Author Topic: Werner bent shaft: any users?  (Read 6501 times)

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Werner bent shaft: any users?
« on: May 24, 2018, 03:52:20 AM »
I have been using a Werner Grand Prix for the past 2 seasons and loved it. But someone decided to liberate it from my car. I have the chance to get a Grand Prix bent shaft at a good deal, wondering if folks have experience with them. Pros? Cons? Thanks.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Werner bent shaft: any users?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:22:11 AM »
I had one for a short period, the novelty wore-off very fast. The awkward shaft gets in the way.
As everything else it's a matter of preference, and I know folks who swear by it but for pros and cons:

My Cons:
1. Much heavier than a straight shaft.
2. More problematic to cut or modify with a longer handle in case you need some flexibility with paddle length.
3. More problem for storage and transport

Pros:
1. seemingly more ergonomic though I've never felt anything is wrong with my other paddles.
2. longer reach? may or may not be of any help to you, depending on your style. I never felt it gave me an edge.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
Some very fast paddlers love them. I don't, but then I'm not very fast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:03:09 AM »
Tried it, hated it, felt awkward like Burchas noted....but it's all personal.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:31:18 PM »
Have one, and use it with my 14' which I've had no problems with. But then again I'm just a recreational open water paddler when there's no surf, and little the paddle simply because it's the biggest blade with the longest shaft that I have, and I do seem to feel I'm getting a little bit more reach with it than my other paddles...but not sure if I'm gaining any advantage or not with it.

But all-in-all a very comfortable paddle to use, and maybe it's my poor memory, but I seem to feel less fatigued in the shoulder and elbow joints with it than I did with my other straight paddles when I used them several years ago...might just be my imagination though.

Hell, I'm really of no help after proofreading this.  ??? :-[    I'll shut up now. :-X  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:00:59 PM »
Conjecture here... as I have not used one, but when I've considered using one, the thought that always backs me off the idea is that it might feel awkward shifting the paddle from side to side. I try to throw it smoothly from one side to the other, to minimize interruption to the stroke rate. My suspicion is the bends, or the weight distribution due to the bends, would feel make the transition feel odd. Like I said, pure conjecture, but I haven't wanted to spend the $300 plus to test.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:04:22 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal