Author Topic: The great American read  (Read 11394 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The great American read
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 11:47:59 AM »
"So What" is a pretty good biography of Mile Davis.  Those books are edited by lawyers so nobody who is living can sue over issues, so seldom complete until the person is dead for at least 60 years. 

I thought it was interesting that Ciciley Tyson claimed he covered up that he had AIDS.  I just listened to a vinyl record of his last public performance two years before he died "Miles Davis Live Around the World" two days ago at my audio big rig in Pleasanton.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 04:54:18 PM »
I do love Miles Davis. Music to drive along highway one by. Reggie Lucas just died. Who is going to replace these guys? Who is going to ever sing a song like Ella. When your life sucks you have two choices--Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald. They've both saved me. That sounds dramatic, and it is, but it's also true. I'm listening to So What. Fuuuck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
I try to read fiction about once a year after seeing lists like that, but after a few pages I remember why I don't like it.  I have read quite a few from that list due to being forced to in school.  My problem with fiction is I don't read books from the start--I just read random pages until I've hit most of them, so I don't know who anyone is for quite a while.  So for fiction I just go back to reading Sherlock Holmes for the twentieth or so time.  One novel I actually finished recently was The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen, which I read only because I heard he'd based the characters on his own family, and his brother was a neighbor of mine (and pretty clearly one of the book's characters). 

I'm reading Miles Davis' autobiography now--not fiction so that s%$t won't ever make any f%$#$%g list.  That book is a m%^*&$f&^%$r.
LOL, sounds like you just described Keith Richards "Life", a great m%^*&$f&^%$ing book.

I listened to Life. What a great book. I would have liked to hang out with Keith but if I had I'd be dead. Going to have to order So What. I like this thread--thank you Ma'am.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »
I do love Miles Davis. Music to drive along highway one by. Reggie Lucas just died. Who is going to replace these guys? Who is going to ever sing a song like Ella. When your life sucks you have two choices--Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald. They've both saved me. That sounds dramatic, and it is, but it's also true. I'm listening to So What. Fuuuck.
I'm going to try So What next.  The one I'm reading now is Miles: The Autobiography.  I'm also a big fan.  I live on Miles Street and just painted Miles on our carport, just subtly. I figure 1 out of 50 people will see it, 1 out of 50 of those will know who it is, and 1 out of 50 of those will notice it's on Miles St.

I just listened to Sinatra: The Chairman (the biography).

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »
I read "Miles" autobiography before "So What".  That's a good sequence in terms of one filling in the other.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 04:28:41 AM »
Hey Bill, I get your issue with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and the other Narnia books, but they're still really powerful books. I've been teaching them for years, and kids get very involved with them. I still am moved by some of the sections, and I'm far past kid age.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 04:44:05 AM »
I'm going to try So What next.  The one I'm reading now is Miles: The Autobiography.  I'm also a big fan.  I live on Miles Street and just painted Miles on our carport, just subtly. I figure 1 out of 50 people will see it, 1 out of 50 of those will know who it is, and 1 out of 50 of those will notice it's on Miles St.

I just listened to Sinatra: The Chairman (the biography).

Very cool. Nice Wisteria too.... :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:54:47 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »
mike

1) my wife reads like you--and she's chroniuc high-volume reader and a phd'ed writer of many books herself--one of few people i accept is simply much smarter than I

2) awesome wisteria! my lord, the flowers look edible--and the miles silhouette is excellent too, he's playing through the wisteria!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 07:18:41 AM »
Surprised this isn't on the list:

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
Hey Bill, I get your issue with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and the other Narnia books, but they're still really powerful books. I've been teaching them for years, and kids get very involved with them. I still am moved by some of the sections, and I'm far past kid age.

My major issue is that they get progressively preachier. I avoid zealots of any flavor, and it's particularly irritating to me to be enjoying the storyline of a book and find it to be the bait for a religious hook.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
Aside from me having an opinion 180 degrees from Pono on Narnia, (I attribute this to him being a born-again, spirit filled atheist  zealot ;)), I'd also agree that this list is several shades beyond kooky.  First of all, there are a host of non-American authors in it, so even the title gums up the list before I even get started.  Why strap nationality to the title at all?

50 shades... oh be serious.
Jean Auel's novels were 55 shades of something long before the pyramids were built.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
To be an atheist I'd have to have some kind of actual working opinion on religion. My only belief is a firm belief that I don't believe in belief.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 11:15:02 AM »

My major issue is that they get progressively preachier. I avoid zealots of any flavor, and it's particularly irritating to me to be enjoying the storyline of a book and find it to be the bait for a religious hook.

My wife had two books on her shelf before we married that I just happened to pick up and read.  One was Olaf Stapledon's "Starmaker" and Konrad Lorenz "On Aggression".  Although you might regard "Starmaker" as a book on the universe and deity of sorts, framed in science fiction, it is beautifully written and more about the philosophy of meaning.  "On Aggression" is about animal behavior, which, surprise, is just as much in it's own way about human behavior.

Both of these books really influenced the way I looked at things at the time.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »
I stared at my navel a lot pondering the meaning of grok as the bong burnt down....does that count?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 05:17:36 PM »
To be an atheist I'd have to have some kind of actual working opinion on religion. My only belief is a firm belief that I don't believe in belief.
I believe you're correct with your belief.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal