Author Topic: Foiling with Straps - How To?  (Read 4711 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Foiling with Straps - How To?
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
Yesterday I foiled for the first time with straps on a 6' 6" Easy Foiler.  It was the shortest, narrowest (27"), lowest volume SUP-Foil 115L I had ever attempted AND with straps AND in 12 to 20 mph of on-shore wind in 7 foot waves at 8 seconds.  Naturally I was the only kook out and I sucked!!!!!!!

Back to the beginning.  HTF am I going to get my feet in the straps?  In my head all the negative thoughts creeped back in.  "OMG I suck. . .  I'm taking these straps off tomorrow . . . I might be able to get my front foot in but NO way the back foot.  . . .  these conditions are terrible for learning . . . . . "

7 waves later and I figured out how to get my front foot in the strap, just place my back foot too far forward, and centered, until I could fly in the flats and get my back foot in.  By my 10th and 11th wave I was riding over 100 yards.  Still feeling like I sucked but I figured something out.

For those of us in this stage of life, I am assuming there is no-one under 35 reading this forum, the necessary plasticity to
1) Get into SUP and heaven forbid FOIL
2) Embrace and overcome a painful learning curve going right back to the start
3) Persevere and appreciate true, step function improvement

Keeps us young and healthy.  As a mentor recently said "Stasis is Death."

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foiling with Straps - How To?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
This started in another thread and I just had my second day in the Straps.

Really frustrating.  Truth be told I keep going out in pretty big stuff.  Part of my brain said 'Go inside and catch the small ones.'  But the other side said 'No Way you can do this.' 

Meanwhile the conditions were pushing 10 ft at 10 seconds.   I fell, fell, fell.  Caught one and would ride into the flats with both feet between the straps.  Really odd, super tight stance.  Frustrated!!!!  At one point I yelled so hard I nearly blacked out.  That wouldn't have been good since I FOIL ALONE.   

Fall, fall, fall. Then I caught one sitting down trying to avoid getting pummeled paddling out I turned and started flying.  Feet extended in front of me I probably rode for 80 to 100 yards see sawing up and down the whole way.  Made me realize there is little chance of a kayak ever working with a foil because you can't modulate your weight forward or backward the way you need to.

By the end I caught at least 3 legitimate waves.  I was super wiped out and called it a session.  Will have to try again.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:26:27 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »
Back to the beginning.  HTF am I going to get me feet in the straps?  In my head all the negative thoughts creeped back in.  "OMG I suck. . .  I'm taking these straps off tomorrow . . . I might be able to get my front foot in but NO way the back foot.  . . .  these conditions are terrible for learning . . . . . "
For what it's worth, I had the same thoughts when I first tried a front strap (don't have a rear, and not sure I really want/need one...yet), and did in fact take the strap off for a session...but reinstalled it after talking with a couple guys that use them, and tear it up with them on (couple have front and rear).

Their suggestion that I found worked for me, was to get your front foot in the strap before you turn for the wave, and with the shorter boards (I'm on a 7'3"x28") I found this very doable, and I'm even able to paddle around with foot in strap somewhat normally even when I'm not just trying to catch a swell...although it does limit your horizontal stability with your foot dead center in the board, so I don't do that a lot, just saying that it's possible.

With the strap, I do like that my front foot is always in the same spot, and it's just one less thing I have to think about, so that only gives me my rear foot to play with, and make adjustments with it fore and aft depending on wave size, and how much lift I'm getting/needing or not.

While it might seem strange, and uncomfortable at first, I'd personally give it a few more sessions of seeing if you can paddle into a wave with your front foot already in the strap, and then see how having to get only one foot in the other strap feels....or just remove the rear strap to begin with, and give that a go.

It might sound odd, but I now feel I have more security with the front strap, as I do find myself even pulling up on it from time to time in order to get just a little more of a pump to the board when necessary...although you, and I surf in completely different conditions, and you probably have more than enough energy to get all of the lift that you'll ever need compared to a lot of the smaller mush I'm foiling in.

Just a thought.

Thanks for this.  Will employ this tactic on the next session and report back.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »
Really frustrating.  Truth be told I keep going out in pretty big stuff.  Part of my brain said 'Go inside and catch the small ones.'  But the other side said 'No Way you can do this.'
Something to be said about this. I find it easier when starting out on "bigger" stuff (relatively speaking, all of about 4-5 feet, and nothing like you're in) because I have all the energy I need, and only have to worry about keeping the nose down to prevent the foil from blowing out...instead of oftentimes having to generate my own energy to stay flying in the smaller stuff, and where the "pumping" technique to do so is a big learning curve I'm finding out.

While a bit of a pain figuring out exactly when to push the tail down, and release it at the exact right moment (ie. weight instantaneously to the front of the board) to maintain my speed...I'm also finding the technique to transfer over into paddling into the waves that just aren't as steep, and the pumping helps get me into a few that I wouldn't have otherwise. While I'm still inconsistent at it though...take a look at how this guy does it at the beginning of this wave for a couple pumps to enter...

https://youtu.be/1qy1KOqMinY?t=1m21s
And while he only needed a few to get into that one, I've seen him do six or seven times to get in on waves that I thought for sure he was going to miss.

So to 'Go inside and catch the small ones' might not be as fun or exhilarating as foiling the 'pretty big stuff'....but you might find that it will help on your technique should you ever have a 'small' day when you're not finding any overhead stuff, or need to connect sections when the 'pretty big stuff' dies out inside to the 'smaller stuff'....that we end up foiling in most of the time down south.

Fun stuff either way.  :D

EDIT: And who knows, if you get real good at it, you can 'pump' back out for more than one wave like the guy in the above video's son does....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qy1KOqMinY
...fortunately that was his dad out there who relinquished the wave to him, so no feeling got hurt in the making of this video.  :)

PS. Both these guys do that with dual foot straps.

PPS. Thanks again to Zoner "StandinDan" for the aerial footage.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:40:17 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »
Great example.  I needed to see that.

He is actually catching the wave with BOTH feet in the straps.  I am thinking NFW but hopefully I can get the hang of it.  Monkey see monkey do.  And yes it may actually turn out to be BETTER for catching waves because you can pump your way into them rather than just having to paddle.  Double Whammy.

https://youtu.be/1qy1KOqMinY?t=1m21s

PS:  I noticed today that my footstaps, even though offset, did NOT appear to be allowing my feet deep enough and therefore my heel pressure was TOO MUCH on the rail.  I am talking maybe 1/2" or an Inch but I think it matters.  Then again I have only had 2 sessions.  I am thinking about offsetting the strap to the side most hole in the STRAP much less the already offset holes in the board.

PSS: The painful thing about fumbling for the strap (s) is that when taking off on bigger stuff, say 5+ feet, you have just an instant to get your feet in the right spot.  With the straps it was taking me 3X as long, as in 3 instants.  And you don't have that much time.  Like a 90 year old swinging a tennis racket at 1/3 the speed.  You're just going to miss the ball. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:57:18 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
Another example from Austin Kalama.

Must learn how to do this:

https://www.facebook.com/Gofoils/videos/764929177042698/

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »
Hi, I have seen your posts about attempting to foil with straps on the Zone. Since I am banned there, I PM you on seabreeze...

All my posts about the foil and straps position are about finding a way to paddle confortably with the front foot in the strap. What you have experienced is how much the strap and foil position is critical for this, and something people riding without straps cannot understand...

Basically, you must insert properly your front foot while still paddling parallel to the beach, and have your back foot just in front of the back strap, touching it. Touching the strap means you know where the strap is, and it is very easy to put the rear foot in without looking.

So:
- position for the wave
- insert front foot
- paddle for the wave (1)
- if you feel like it, just before takeoff, insert back foot.
- or just wait to put back foot in once airborne and stable.

(1) if you cannot paddle this way, your strap is not at the proper place.

Great Stuff COLAS!!!!!  Thank you for your contribution. 

I tried this today and it seemed to work better.  3rd session.  I had a few rough takeoffs where my back foot would stuff into a folded footstrap.  Once your backfoot is offcenter you tend to be hosed. 

I used to windsurf with bare feet to better manage the footstap and board contact.  The water is cold but the advantage may be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:34:43 PM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »
I used to windsurf with bare feet to better manage the footstap and board contact.  The water is cold but the advantage may be worth it.
Oh yeah, I tried booties for a real short time, and gave it up after a couple sessions when it just made getting into the front strap more challenging, and I for sure didn't need anymore challenges when learning this new strap, and foiling stuff.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
Valuable info here. I think if I do learn foiling, the footstrap will come l8r? In the video of Laird at Chicama you posted he's riding w/front and back foot straps. Looks like it really anchors him to the board. Amazing to watch that energy.
https://youtu.be/43ja3q3jxTc
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 11:31:00 AM »
So:
- position for the wave
- insert front foot
- paddle for the wave (1)
- if you feel like it, just before takeoff, insert back foot.
- or just wait to put back foot in once airborne and stable.

(1) if you cannot paddle this way, your strap is not at the proper place.

Excuse my lack of experience.... Should we set the straps for the foil and build a board to paddle in the straps? I've been paddling for a few years and at the direction of some excellent paddle buddies, I now paddle as much as I can in surf stance.
Building a board to paddle in the straps full time is one of my goals.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:16:04 PM by windwakerider »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Should we set the straps for the foil and build a board to paddle in the straps?

Yes!  I am sure this is to come.

Probably a good part of what is working with the Kalama boards.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 01:25:35 PM »
Day # 5 on the Easy Foiler.

Starting to get the hang of it.  All waves are being caught with front foot in the straps.  The hard part is getting the back foot in during the drop.

There was a significant South Swell coming through.  4.5 ft @ 17 seconds.  Delivered the goods.  6 to 8 ft faces.  Here was a 375 yard ride on the Easy Foiler with GoFoil IWA wing.

https://youtu.be/vNWUXEt4Das

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »
New revelation day #6.

South Swell still pumping.  I was attempting to take off in overhead stuff e.g. 6 to 8 feet again.  A potentially speedy left.

I was following COLA's Advice:

"You must insert properly your front foot while still paddling parallel to the beach, and have your back foot just in front of the back strap, touching it. Touching the strap means you know where the strap is, and it is very easy to put the rear foot in without looking."

The past couple of days I have been trying to fly the nose of the Easy Foiler LOW but since it is so short I have been violently pearling.  Today I took off with my FRONT FOOT IN THE STRAP BACK FOOT JUST IN FRONT OF REAR STRAP.

This ends up being a slightly weight forward configuration.  I found that I was able to fly at very high speeds and STILL KEEP THE NOSE down but not touching the water. 

The board flies like you are using and undersized wing aka barely flying.

But it did NOT have the bucking bronco sensation when using a wider stance with the front foot massively far forward (aka previous board without straps).

Net result: One of the fastest waves speeds I have recorded on a foil without crashing.  The only downside was that it took me ~ 15 seconds to get my back foot in the strap for full control.  You can see the S turns at the end of the ride. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:55:32 PM by Beasho »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
Super cool. The owner of South End Surf and Paddle here on Long Beach Island offered to lend me a Trace. I passed not wanting to school another piece of tech, but it's amazing how it "Traces" you. Helluva workout on that foil you are getting! Seems like you really have a solid understanding of the foil sup. Nice. I really want to see a beach pov of you riding though.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 06:18:42 AM »
Beasho, 25.... Wow, that's awesome. Wish I still lived in Santa Cruz.... Texas surf leaves me yearning to return to the Central coast

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal