Author Topic: Sharing Strategies from other Sports  (Read 40740 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Strategies from other Sports
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2018, 05:23:08 AM »
I reckon it has to stay fun and practical.

For my purposes, storage limitations and transport (multiple boards on a car) I find dugouts neither. But I’m watching with interest to see where they go.

I find the wide open back of this years Fanatic Strike interesting. Like a modern sailboat. Could be very stable with that parallel outline. Meaning on could go narrower.

Since water would so rapidly flush out the back I don’t see the point of such high sidewalls.
Interesting. But I think this concept has been tried before, many moons ago, and the problem was buoy turns, downwind and surfing. I suspect that the Sprint has taken this idea as far as it can practically go and still be popular with the elite racers’ various needs. There aren’t many straight pure flatwater races. But I’d love to demo one, nevertheless.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2018, 05:29:55 AM »
Let's talk numbers...

Here's my scaling system:
Stability 2.0 = stability of a current 21.5" board
Stability 3.0 = stability of a current 23" board
Stability 5.0 = stability of a current 25" board
Stability 7.0 = stability of most 27" boards

MY GOAL?
I wanted to point out that a future 23" board could have the stability of 6 (based on the above scale)

HOW?
Strategies from other sports.

WHAT HAPPENED?
Sadly, very few can imagine that a future 23" could be more stable than their current board.

WHY?
Perhaps because people are just humans; stuck in their ways, always imagining themselves as the only Ocean Paddlers in the World.

Pointless -

Hey, it’s a noble goal.

Maybe you have a great idea. Go ahead try it. You know plenty of surfski people.

Even if your surfski idea may be innovative the irony is that you are, in an odd way, sticking to the ways you know.
 ;)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2018, 05:37:49 AM »

Interesting. But I think this concept has been tried before, many moons ago, and the problem was buoy turns, downwind and surfing. I suspect that the Sprint has taken this idea as far as it can practically go and still be popular with the elite racers’ various needs. There aren’t many straight pure flatwater races. But I’d love to demo one, nevertheless.

Arthur Arutkin is racing one. He's a pretty tall strong [windsurfer build] guy. He's probably 6'2.

He's been at a high level in SUP for enough years now to get what he wants from Werner Gnigler (sp?). So I'd presume it works.

I'd think bouy kick turns would be awesome on the wide tail. OK, it'll sink a bit. I also think DW (the tail shape, I haven't seen much of the nose but it does seem to lifted out of the water more than previous Strikes) would work OK. Water might slosh in but only if you're going too slow and it'd empty so fast.

I'd like to try one. The boxy sidewalls are not to my taste but I like the open back. Modern planning sailboat shapes know a thing or two about the need to rapidly flush water to not be bogged down.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:48:26 AM by yugi »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2018, 05:50:05 AM »
Then again, A10, your RS shouldn't have a problem flushing water from the deck. That is such a simple design. (almost copying the Rogue Rage)

Simple is good.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2018, 06:12:34 AM »
Then again, A10, your RS shouldn't have a problem flushing water from the deck. That is such a simple design. (almost copying the Rogue Rage)

Simple is good.
Yep. What the RS has done so well is to balance volume in front of the handle with volume behind it. Everything has been kept simple and balanced, with nothing too extreme anywhere. The issue that the new Strike might face in rougher waters is that where the tail volume and nose volume are very unequal, this can cause pitching. I wish I could remember the same of the design/brand several years ago that was like this. Anyway, the high sidewalls might be necessary because of this pitching issue. If the tail is regularly getting swamped then it’s going to act like an anchor. And low volume tails certainly buoy turn, but they can be a bit unforgiving for the heavy-footed. But SUP design is all about balance and attention to details, so I’ll reserve judgment until I’ve tried one.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2018, 06:42:40 AM »

Simple is good.

Simple is good, I love the open back design in it's variants. I've seen it work magic on flat water boards
but as A10 mentioned, it is not new and I have yet seen one that works really well in open water and downwind conditions.
It's not like Mark haven't tried this design before but it didn't seem to work well in certain conditions. (pic below pre RS prototype)

Parallel outline surly won't help manuverablitly, even when stepping far back on a tail. with so little volume back there might be a challenge to control
the board, maybe Arthur can make it work somehow but I don't see this design giving him an edge in open water conditions.

BTW, on this particular shot where you see the sic prototype, Kenny Kaneko beat Kai and Caper on their Maliko and Javelin, but it looked fairly flat water conditions.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:47:30 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2018, 07:07:49 AM »
Since water would so rapidly flush out the back I don’t see the point of such high sidewalls.

Yugi, I would suspect that in addition to limiting water flow over the deck, the high sidewalls also help maintain rigidity.  It's a really cool design.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »
You could always just stand up in an Epic V8. I suspect it would blow the doors off any SUP design. But then you could sit down and use a double ended wing blade and go much faster. Hey, we just invented the surfski!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2018, 08:01:04 AM »
Let's talk numbers...

Here's my scaling system:
Stability 2.0 = stability of a current 21.5" board
Stability 3.0 = stability of a current 23" board
Stability 5.0 = stability of a current 25" board
Stability 7.0 = stability of most 27" boards

MY GOAL?
I wanted to point out that a future 23" board could have the stability of 6 (based on the above scale)

HOW?
Strategies from other sports.

WHAT HAPPENED?
Sadly, very few can imagine that a future 23" could be more stable than their current board.

WHY?
Perhaps because people are just humans; stuck in their ways, always imagining themselves as the only Ocean Paddlers in the World.

Pointless -

Hey, it’s a noble goal.

Maybe you have a great idea. Go ahead try it. You know plenty of surfski people.

Even if your surfski idea may be innovative the irony is that you are, in an odd way, sticking to the ways you know.
 ;)

Perhaps I am - but then... consider this:
The end result would be derived from a surfski, but I assure you that the end product will look more like couple of boards we have had around since 2012 - so in that respect, it would still look like a SUP board - even though "certain people" will say:
- Oh my God - it's a dugout board
- Oh my God - it's got a rudder (because 5 people know rudders do not work, especially for surfskis)
- Hell no... this thing is too light (because we all know it will fly away by itself when left unattended)!
- Wow, dude, I'm gonna hurt myself, because it's not flat (even after I add foam).
- Heck, I'll never be able to remount this "thing" - even after I assure them that sidewalls will be lowered.
- Oh... LOOK...a flat water board... because dismissing is actually easier than imagination / anticipation.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
I'm not sitting down for sports until 10 years after you do Pono (or I break my back). I'm still have a f'ing desk jockey job where I get all the sitting I need.

Burchas,
Strike is Fanatic's flatwater board. Not their allwater.

Kenny's lightly dugout SIC is
a) likely just a production a bit scooped out
b) likely not so sloping towards stern deck
c) not a wide open back

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2018, 08:07:43 AM »
Photof,

I'm a total expert at remounting. I seem to have been given an amazing amount of opportunities to practice it. I got that part down pat.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:31:56 AM by yugi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2018, 08:20:41 AM »
Or they'll just say "Yuck"...... ::)

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Canoe
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:22:23 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
Forget surf skis.  How about dugout "pedal" boards? 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
How's your floating step machine doing, Pono. Getting a lot of use?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »
Burchas,
Strike is Fanatic's flatwater board. Not their allwater.

I figured as much by the deck pad placement, but was referring to your comment it will do ok downwind ( which is probably right for light protected water conditions)
Lincoln Dews has been riding a similar design by Deep lately.

Kenny's lightly dugout SIC is
a) likely just a production a bit scooped out
b) likely not so sloping towards stern deck
c) not a wide open back

a) thought so too first time as it reminded me the FX but rails and tail is very different so unlikely production.
b/c) seems to be enough for the depth of the deck to clear the water.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]