Author Topic: Sharing Strategies from other Sports  (Read 40328 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing Strategies from other Sports
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
Maybe you could add in more of the surfing strategy into this line of thought. After all, surfing is at the root of SUP. The less "surfable" a craft is designed, the further from SUP it is.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »
So correct me if I am wrong...
1. You guys wish that all SUP boards look like boards (surfboards to be exact) because that's the image you want to portrait.
2. You don't mind an oversimplification of the board in terms of construction methods.
3. You don't mind that this oversimplification (as a whole) is costing much more than it should.
4. You don't want SUP to be elitist, even though it already has a long time ago. There are more 21 and 22" boards out there than ever.
5. If you want to have fun with an intermediate-level board (like a 14x25") you end up with a board primarily designed for a top athlete; one who can make the thing come to a semi-plane.
6. Seemingly, few who have commented actually have tried a SUP with their feet below the waterline - because you'd otherwise be commenting and sharing. The ACE has nothing below the water level - so don't kid yourself.
7. I am talking about a more accessible SUP, more affordable, more versatile (especially on those windy days) - and as a whole: more stable - but you guys don't see the benefit for the mass?

So go ahead with the corrections. I am all ears.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »
And you could have sex on one. Good luck having sex in an Ace :)

I consider myself a moderately experienced paddle boarder, but that's something I've yet to try. Will have to talk with the wife about this   ;D
Do it! You haven’t fully explored the delights of SUP until you have. She’ll love you for it. Just paddle off to a deserted spot and off ya go. There are various methods, depending on water depth. Eat your heart out, SUP yoga :) But you might find when it’s all over that you’ve moved quite a bit from where you started :)

You’ll never view a dugout the same afterwards. Dugouts are clearly for people who don’t get much ;)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
photo - this has been a long time topic of discussion, both here on the Zone and elsewhere.  Often it is driven by this article by Jim Terrell http://www.supracer.com/the-death-and-rebirth-of-sup-racing/

You fall into the "stand-up canoeing" camp.  Not that there is anything wrong with it ;) . It's just not for me

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
1. You guys wish that all SUP boards look like boards (surfboards to be exact) because that's the image you want to portrait.
2. You don't mind an oversimplification of the board in terms of construction methods.
3. You don't mind that this oversimplification (as a whole) is costing much more than it should.
4. You don't want SUP to be elitist, even though it already has a long time ago. There are more 21 and 22" boards out there than ever.
5. If you want to have fun with an intermediate-level board (like a 14x25") you end up with a board primarily designed for a top athlete; one who can make the thing come to a semi-plane.
6. Seemingly, few who have commented actually have tried a SUP with their feet below the waterline - because you'd otherwise be commenting and sharing. The ACE has nothing below the water level - so don't kid yourself.
7. I am talking about a more accessible SUP, more affordable, more versatile (especially on those windy days) - and as a whole: more stable - but you guys don't see the benefit for the mass?

1. No, I just believe that the needs of the competitive sport trump those of the needs of the racing individual. For recreational paddling though, go nuts, paddle what you like.
2. I'm only interested in performance. How its manufactured is irrelevant to me.
3. Cost doesn't bother me whilst I wish to be competitive. It will bother the sport as a whole when its market gets priced out.
4. It became elitist when the cost of race boards increased by 40%, not the width decrease over the last two years
5. Possibly. That's the risk when its elite athletes doing the R&D.
6. I'm less bothered about what the craft looks like. I'm here to race.... that's it.
7. You haven't defined how it would be either more affordable or more accessible. Please explain further ?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »

1. no. Personally I’m open to new ideas. Your standing surfski idea’s just aren’t doing it for me. Yet. I am noticing that the top 5 of every race this year are in dugouts. I’m also pretty sure I’ll race less this year and, as always, DW more.

2. Your term oversimplification is vague. Simple is good. Especially when it comes to design, manufacturing and maintenance. Monocoque (hollow) can be simple and good too.
3. no. Nothing should cost more than it should.
4. There is a racing speciality branch. We recognise that. Maybe most aren’t all that keen on it other than the odd race for a good time and to meet new friends.
5. You aren’t making sense. Do you mean an intermediate board or an allwater board made for top guys?
6. I have tried a couple of narrowish 14 dugouts’s.   
  - On flat I’d much rather be on a flattop.   
  - In waves I feel like a pinball bouncing around in a pinball machine. I prefer to carve than slither.
  - In sidewind I find them really horrible.
My motto is to pick my gear for the hardest part of the day. I get sidewind thrown at me all the time. A board I can keep my bearing in sidewind is the acid test to me. So far I find dugouts a nightmare. Maybe I have yet to learn something, maybe designs will change. We’ll see.
7. I’m all for more accessible , more affordable, more versatile (especially on those windy days). What this has to do with your musings I can’t really tell.

I keep an open mind to dugouts. I’ll keep trying. I do notice that they are the trend in races. I do know Titou used to much prefer an Allstar to an Ace for all the reasons I do )we had a talk about it). I do notice he is way dugout now. So I know there must be something to it.

On the other hand I know in new sports like SUP the design/shape pendulum swings way far on new fads and then usually comes back and settles in the middle. I’m going to sit this swing out and wait and see if it ever comes back. I’ll try them and try see the upsides. But right now I am not seeing nirvana. Yet.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:42:29 AM by yugi »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »

I consider myself a moderately experienced paddle boarder, but that's something I've yet to try. Will have to talk with the wife about this   ;D
Do it! You haven’t fully explored the delights of SUP until you have. She’ll love you for it. Just paddle off to a deserted spot and off ya go. There are various methods, depending on water depth. Eat your heart out, SUP yoga :) But you might find when it’s all over that you’ve moved quite a bit from where you started :)

You’ll never view a dugout the same afterwards. Dugouts are clearly for people who don’t get much ;)

This topic is also covered in the separate "Foiling with straps - How to" thread.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:14:19 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »

Area 10, you crack me up. Absolutely hilarious!  :)
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
But you might find when it’s all over that you’ve moved quite a bit from where you started :)

Are you saying here she might finally feel the earth move?   ;D
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »

Area 10, you crack me up. Absolutely hilarious!  :)

Area 10, where's the love and I'm hurt from your funny comments  :o ;D

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 11:31:06 PM »
Let's keep an open mind:
Looking at a 10 kilos SUP 16x25 with a recessed deck below water level, with a rudder - that can be used in any and all conditions wouldn't appeal to recreational paddlers???

Keep in mind, the above specs would make that board more stable than a 12x28.

Note: I am not even talking about SUP racing - nor have I said anything about SUP racing.
Where my mind went with this also wasn't about racing, but instead to how what you describe might be a perfect next board for me--for daily use, not racing.   Longer than 14' is a no-brainer, since I wouldn't be racing it, and don't have storage or transport issues.  Low deck makes sense for stability, and drain hole makes sense for a low deck.  Haven't used a rudder, but have been told I'd appreciate having one in some conditions.  Light weight isn't critical to me--nice but not worth $$$ or compromised durability.

Mostly, I don't think I'm the only one who's had a few 14' boards, and is happy with them, and not really interested in spending money on a slight refinement, whereas I could be convinced to spend some money on a board whose extra 2' or 3' would be a major change from what I already have.

It could be more likely my next "board" will be a surfski, but if it's actually a board, something like what you describe sounds great.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »
Personally, one of the aspects I enjoy the most in SUP is moving around on the board.

Personally, I am not interested in this current new fad of boards which are designed so you stay stuck in one place. Dugouts and rudders.

Time will tell but I’ll place my bet on the future of SUP with simple, versatile shapes that favor being used by nimble and mobile footed riders. And aesthetic simple practical beauty.

AREA should get the "Forum Award" for this one.
However, in the future, he may want to look at this... - much for suited for extra-curriculum-activities.

That arm out to the side would be a handy place for keeping the cigarettes dry.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2018, 12:21:12 AM »
I have to say that if I weren't racing and was paddling for fun, conditioning and fitness, I'd go and buy one of the latest inflatables. I'd praise the convenience and practicality over the nuances of the boards ride qualities. I feel so ashamed............

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »
I have to say that if I weren't racing and was paddling for fun, conditioning and fitness, I'd go and buy one of the latest inflatables. I'd praise the convenience and practicality over the nuances of the boards ride qualities. I feel so ashamed............
Only because your paddling is centred on “the boring stuff”. If you downwinded, surfed, or were a coastal paddler you’d find that an inflatable would kill all enjoyment STAT. If that’s the kind of punishment you enjoy, you might as well just just stay at home and dangle your goolies in a pan of boiling water.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »
If you downwinded, surfed, or were a coastal paddler you’d find that an inflatable would kill all enjoyment STAT. If that’s the kind of punishment you enjoy, you might as well just just stay at home and dangle your goolies in a pan of boiling water.

If the extent of you paddling is lakes, bays, harbors then an inflatable is perfectly fine. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal