Author Topic: Sharing Strategies from other Sports  (Read 40631 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sharing Strategies from other Sports
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »
Yep. I’m feeling stoopid for getting involved in this one.

Yeah, You got hit real hard by that one. Makes you regret you haven't chosen the other part
of the brain responsible for human behavior as a career path ah? You would have seen that one
coming from a mile ;)
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »
 ;D

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2018, 12:09:59 AM »
If not for racing than al the non-racing factors need to be considered, like storage, transprtation, more difficult remount, more painful to fall on, etc.

Exactly.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2018, 01:58:34 PM »
If you guys want to believe that dugout boards aren't popular, you are in total denial, and need to look around.

I could be wrong, but seems like nearly all brands are going out of their way to come up with DUGOUTS of their own.

Other factors?
Sure - and coming up with potential solutions and leaving it up for discussion is what I had in mind. Every single factor needs attention, but I don't see that going anywhere. So... forgive me from slowly walking away.

Let's not share Jack-Sheetz.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »
If you guys want to believe that dugout boards aren't popular, you are in total denial, and need to look around.

I could be wrong, but seems like nearly all brands are going out of their way to come up with DUGOUTS of their own.

Other factors?
Sure - and coming up with potential solutions and leaving it up for discussion is what I had in mind. Every single factor needs attention, but I don't see that going anywhere. So... forgive me from slowly walking away.

Weeellll I can say this much.  Here in San Diego where we have the surf spots, the San Diego harbor and Mission Bay, the weather and probably one of the highest # of SUP paddlers, both in actual end users AND percentage of the population that lives here I can only think of one time I've ever seen anyone with a dugout.  Ant that was during the HanoHano as a demo.  I don't recall seeing any of the competitors using one (there were hundreds to I could have missed them).  As far as recreationally, I've never seen anyone padding a dugout around here, and this would be the place if they are as popular for non racing recreational use as you seem to claim.  I am actually interested in trying one out.  I don't know enough about them to argue for or against so for that I am not weighing in. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:34:05 PM by surf4food »

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2018, 09:27:07 PM »

Other factors?

Weeellll I can say this much.  Here in San Diego where we have the surf spots, the San Diego harbor and Mission Bay, the weather and probably one of the highest # of SUP paddlers, both in actual end users AND percentage of the population that lives here I can only think of one time I've ever seen anyone with a dugout.  Ant that was during the HanoHano as a demo.  I don't recall seeing any of the competitors using one (there were hundreds to I could have missed them).  As far as recreationally, I've never seen anyone padding a dugout around here, and this would be the place if they are as popular for non racing recreational use as you seem to claim.  I am actually interested in trying one out.  I don't know enough about them to argue for or against so for that I am not weighing in.

Actually interesting!
Do you guys do any downwind in San Diego? If so, what would be the top 3 boards that you see in your favorite conditions?
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2018, 12:38:58 AM »
In my area I and two friends are the only ones with dugout (Nelo). All others have SIC RS, SIC FX, Allstar, Fanatic, 404, 3bay and JP. A pro I have recently seen with a JP 14x21 prototype with recessed deck.
Overall, the trend goes towards allwater.
I personally do not care if my board has dugout or not. It has to be fun paddling, it has to be stable and not too slow. As a heavy big paddler, I have no chance to be part of the first pack. So that's nothing to write home about ;-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:53:58 AM by mr_proper »
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2018, 12:57:43 AM »

You mean like the accounts above whereby nobody seems to see any ? I'm confused by what you would quantify as 'popular'. How do you define this ?

As for the UK, there are two paddlers I know of who have them and both of them are Starboard sponsored team riders who likely got them discounted. Socially, I've also seen a couple of Mistral Equinox's but that's it.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2018, 04:24:11 AM »

Other factors?

Actually interesting!
Do you guys do any downwind in San Diego? If so, what would be the top 3 boards that you see in your favorite conditions?
Not really.  San Diego is a pretty light wind area so with wind (when there is wind) and swell direction never quite lining up in any ideal fashion, downwind is the one SUP discipline San Diego is not exactly renowned for.   

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2018, 05:13:30 AM »

I think you need to get over your bad self. The arrogance of that comment is amazing.
10 years of CCBC 30 mile open ocean crossings, 100's of folks with boards in excess of 12'-6"...…. dugouts...I don't remember one. I don't attend races like I used to and dugouts have come relatively late to the scene but I've I have always paid attention to the boards I see. Around here...dugouts might be 1-100..probably more like 1-500, of 14'+ boards maybe 1-50. Very popular.... ::)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:21:15 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2018, 05:37:59 AM »

I think you need to get over your bad self... ::)

^ that might happen only if he dugout his head of the sand ;D But what are the chances?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:45:16 AM by burchas »
in progress...

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2018, 06:04:18 AM »

I think you need to get over your bad self. The arrogance of that comment is amazing.
10 years of CCBC 30 mile open ocean crossings, 100's of folks with boards in excess of 12'-6"...…. dugouts...I don't remember one. I don't attend races like I used to and dugouts have come relatively late to the scene but I've I have always paid attention to the boards I see. Around here...dugouts might be 1-100..probably more like 1-500, of 14'+ boards maybe 1-50. Very popular.... ::)

You are taking my sentence completely out of context.
1) I am referring to the fact that you need to really take a good look around AND you will notice that nearly all current manufacturers are NOW coming up with their own version of a dugout boards. No, I didn't mean for it to sound like an arrogant piece of sheetz.
2) I am sorry that your CCBC race only attracted 30 or so paddlers in 2015 - but there were in fact couple of dugout boards. I would have brought my 17'6 x 23" for sure - on that day. Don't take my words for it, just take a look at the video that's online. I am actually super surprised that there were more Mistral, Starboard dugout (like the Sprint or the Equinox) out there... for the conditions seems pretty darn ideal.

Seriously interesting that you are not seeing more participants during that race.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2018, 06:13:19 AM »

You mean like the accounts above whereby nobody seems to see any ? I'm confused by what you would quantify as 'popular'. How do you define this ?

As for the UK, there are two paddlers I know of who have them and both of them are Starboard sponsored team riders who likely got them discounted. Socially, I've also seen a couple of Mistral Equinox's but that's it.

That's a good questions.
I don't mean popular as in you will see more dugout boards (sprint or ace type boards) than standard boards (like allstar boards). Perhaps I should have said GETTING POPULAR, as in more and more people are taking a serious interest in dugouts, quantified by the sheer number of current shapers who are releasing their very own version of dugout board models, AND by the fact that I am personally seeing more Ace-type and Sprint-type boards out on the water. Couple of my buddies have expressed hate towards the look of the Ace, and one of them just bought a 2014 version, while the other one purchased a 2016 version. Other paddlers who have been using the Allstar for years, are now vouching for the Ace's ability.

Speaking of popular though...
Shapers are either stupid for creating dugout boards RIGHT NOW (and for the first time ever) or they know a thing or two about popularity of dugouts that you do not.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »

Speaking of popular though...
Shapers are either stupid for creating dugout boards RIGHT NOW (and for the first time ever) or they know a thing or two about popularity of dugouts that you do not.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:16:58 AM by SaMoSUP »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »
Maybe it would be best to say the # of dugout boards is growing, but not exactly exploding.  I realize more manufacturers are including them in their lineups and I DO notice more of them in race vids, otherwise pretty much zero amongst average weekend paddlers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:34:38 AM by surf4food »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal