Author Topic: Really...Don't Use Naish "Thrust Surf" In the Surf?  (Read 1827 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Really...Don't Use Naish "Thrust Surf" In the Surf?
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
Now I get the litigious state of affairs we're in nowadays with everything, and that no one is responsible for themselves or their actions any longer...but reading Naish's "Thrust Surf" foil page seems a little odd, ridiculous, counter-intuitive, and a strange way of marketing them...at least as I'm reading it.

So the "Thrust Surf" was....
Designed in collaboration with Kai Lenny, the Thrust Surf Hydrofoil develops lift at low speed, and launches with minimal effort. The combination of early take-off and excellent maneuverability makes it great for waveriding, cruising or racing. The extra long fuselage creates a large sweet spot and provides stability, while the downturned stabilizer (rear foil) makes waveriding and turning intuitive and easy. The small (55 cm) extruded alloy mast can be retrofitted to any style box system. Whether surfing or downwinding, the Thrust Surf Foil will keep you stoked session after session!

....however, they also want to make sure they let you know that....
WARNING: DO NOT USE THE THRUST HYDROFOIL IN THE SURF.  You will permanently damage your foil and can cause serious injury or death to yourself and others around you. Damage incurred as a result of abnormal use, or subjected to stress—including breaking waves—beyond the physical limits of the materials used in body or components is not covered under the warranty policy.
...you should not use the Naish "Thrust Surf" in the surf, even using the emphatic capitalization (yelling it) that is their doing, not mine to emphasize their point.  :o

Should be fun the next time I see Chuck out on his, that I'll have to remind him he's not supposed to be using it out in the surf with us according to his sponsor, and he's setting a bad example for anyone else thinking about taking one of them out there. LOL!  ;) ;D

EDIT: Btw, this is all kind of tongue in cheek, and nothing against Naish or their foils. Just thought the wording was kind of humorous when I read with it all things considered, and is one of the big reasons or uses folks are buying these foils for is all. =)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:07:09 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Really...Don't Use Naish "Thrust Surf" In the Surf?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:35:05 PM »
Yes, TOTALLY worthy of being called out, even if in good humor.  To add even another layer of absurdity, if it were ever litigated, that warning would have none of the hoped for insulating effect precisely because of the inconsistencies you point out.
Similar CYA thing that cracks me up are tv commercials showing a totally innocuous activity, like riding a bike, with fine print caption stating “Do not attempt”.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:37:14 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal