Author Topic: Maldive Sunova SUP trip, best trip ever  (Read 1446 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Maldive Sunova SUP trip, best trip ever
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
Just got back from the Sunova Maldives trip and thought I'd make a quick post. Most everyone on the trip would say that it was one of the best surf trips we've ever been on. Great surf, great boat, great organization, great food, great location, you get the idea. Here are a couple of pics from the trip and a log I kept so of my surfing. After a few days, they all kind of run together, so I made these notes for myself.

Log:
1. MAY 8th got on Carpe Novo and headed south looking for waves. Riptides, Ok waves but windy. A squall came thru and I quit before I caught a wave. A few stayed out and had fun after it calmed down. Boat trip and got to 2nd spot , mushrooms, and in water around 4 pm. Awesome surf, everyone had fun in mellow surf. Glassy conditions, funsize.  Spent night there.
2.  I missed early wakeup call and the sup crew scored before breakfast. They came in and Bert and I had quality funsize waves to ourselves.  A+ day. Shoulder high, longish rights, fairly glassy, high wavecount, fun watching Bert surf. Mushrooms. Squall came in prior to evening session, I and most passed. The harder core did OK.
3. Morning session at Mushrooms, pretty crappy, tide too low, swell dropped, morning sickness. Still got a couple of waves. Then headed south too new spot. Caught a 40 lbs yellowfin and small Wahoo on way to new spot. Evening snorkel then sup in smallish speedy surf.  Fell on my ass in the shallows, bad bruise. Little Mikados. Plan is to stay here for a few days.
4. Expected new swell but hasn't shown yet, only caught a few waves on morning session. Evening session was all time, got plenty of waves plus my wave of the trip [so far). That evening, everyone was like little kids at a birthday party.
5. Two other surf trip boats showed up at `our` spot. I didn't go out til the crowd thinned and I was able to get tons of waves, even better surf than yesterday. Another wave of the trip, maybe even barreled. Evening surf was OK. Had an evening  beach bbq that was fun.
6. 3rd full day at Mikados. I had 2 morning sessions, flailed in first session with too low of a tide, went over the handlebars big time on one. 2nd session was better with  more water. Took the afternoon off, I really needed a rest.
7. Early a.m. session because we're heading back. Finally starting to figure this wave out. Got several almost barrels. I never imagined water could be so clear and glassy. Hate to leave but we'll surf some on the way back. Stopped at Mushrooms,  some went for a surf but poor conditions  so I  snorkel which was ok.
8. Morning surf was also poor and I passed,  some went for a dive. Boat ride.
9. Last day we'd be able to surf and the weather is bad, wind and rain. Some did a good scuba and others tried foiling behind the dingy. We'll go on a village walk this afternoon before heading back. The village was interesting, just walked around a bit. Back to the boat and sit in the harbor til I fly out tomorrow night.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Maldive Sunova SUP trip, best trip ever
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
Looks like you had a great trip with lots of excellent sup judging from looking at all the pictures you posted.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to post all of your pictures.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
Sounds perfect! Those are some user friendly looking waves! Any shots of yourself riding, Tom?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
Stoked for you.....sounds amazing. Those look fun....1st and 2nd pic look like my favorite kind of rides.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »
nice report Tom, clean waves and with shorts and shirt I wanna be there.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
Too awesome! I tried like hell to talk Trent into freeing up some closet space, but no go. ;D
Stoked you had a great trip Tom, thanks for the report.
Bert just got back, so I should be surfing with him a lot this week, and he can tell me some Maldive stories!

Here's another shot of Bert from the Maldive trip

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal