Author Topic: Another fin thread  (Read 3782 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another fin thread
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:39:54 AM »
I'd love to try different fin setups constantly, but it's rare we have consistent enough waves to get a good test. In any case, I'm working with 2 boards, a 7'11" F-One Madeiro and 8'8" JL Supertech, both futures setup. The Madeiro is a quad and I like it, no problems, running GL-2 Lopez. The SuperTech I ride in generally anything that's not waist-chest and clean (so when it's big and when it's rough). Anything waist high and below, I"m typically on a noserider.

Anyways, I started off by riding the Supertech in a thruster setup with the stock JL honeycomb 4.5" fins. I switched to a quad just to see speed wise how it would perform, and obviously it's a decent bit quicker. I have SearchGPS data to correspond, it's typically 1.5/2 MPH quicker on average on a wave. The problem is, I like how I can torque the tail more (or so it seems) with the thruster. So, what would be the best solution:

- Try different fins (possibly smaller all-around) on the thruster setup
- Upgrade fins to something?
- Quad with a nub?
- Say hell with it and just ride.

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Another fin thread
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:04:11 PM »
I watch a lot of YouTube surf and sup videos. And some of them like the 5 fin setup (quad with a nub). From my understanding, this fin setup gives them more speed, but the tail end doesn't slip out turning back down when on top of a wave.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
I watch a lot of YouTube surf and sup videos. And some of them like the 5 fin setup (quad with a nub). From my understanding, this fin setup gives them more speed, but the tail end doesn't slip out turning back down when on top of a wave.

Yup...works great...just back from 4 days of using that setup in hollow waves...
Quad with a nub gives you the speed with a little added drive off the bottom and down the line ...with no downside...definitely recommend giving it a go...

http://supsports.com/sup-fins/

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »
APPST

I also have the Super Tech (9'1) and ride it as my big wave / Winter Chop board.  I have fussed a lot with the fins and the drive with a thruster and that tail cant be beat. i only ride it Chest and bigger.

i ride a quad on both of my other boards.  In fact the ST is the only thruster  have ridden with any consistency in a shortboard sup.  If you generate enough speed on your turns with the thruster you wont miss the quads.- I feel that I can only do this in big waves/ big bottom and top turns- thats why the setup works.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »
APPST

I also have the Super Tech (9'1) and ride it as my big wave / Winter Chop board.  I have fussed a lot with the fins and the drive with a thruster and that tail cant be beat. i only ride it Chest and bigger.

i ride a quad on both of my other boards.  In fact the ST is the only thruster  have ridden with any consistency in a shortboard sup.  If you generate enough speed on your turns with the thruster you wont miss the quads.- I feel that I can only do this in big waves/ big bottom and top turns- thats why the setup works.

Yeah, I think it's a trade-off between good waves with power and not. I like how it turns with a thruster setup, but I like the speed of the quad, so I'm actually trying out various fins tomorrow hopefully if the waves cooperate. Starting with a set of F8 Blackstix - thruster setup. My other shortboard is a 7'11" F-One Madeiro and it's a quad .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:22:41 PM by APPST_Paddle »
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 08:19:22 AM »
So, I've had 2 pretty good days of going back and forth between the stock JL quads and Futures Blackstix Thrusters (Large) on my 8'8" JL SuperTech. I'm pretty torn because I have some data to backup what I'm feeling, but here's a synopsis:

- Day 1 (Waist-chest, shoulder high sets, little disorganized):
Thruster took a second to get used too, I slid out on the bottom turn on my first wave. After that, I really enjoyed the drive off the bottom turn with the thruster. It definitely allows for a more up/down turn, I can torque the tail more back towards the wave face. Quads - more speed, (roughly 1.5mph on average according to my SearchGPS) - able to accelerate around breaking sections better. Great for quick little turns.

Day 2 (Waist-chest, clean)
Less power today, but really fun, nicely lined up with light offshores. Same general concept, I really like the initial turn off the bottom with the thruster, but I want the speed of the quad.

So, I'm thinking of trying a medium set in the same general line with more speed - maybe the AM1's? Or would a 2+1 speed it up a bit more?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:45:38 AM »
Quick update to this thread - I went with the AM1's (smaller center fin) - 2+1 setup. In my first session on smallish waves (waist-stomach), I loved this setup. I have more speed out of the thruster setup, but it loosens up nicely for the bottom turn. I'd probably switch back to a bigger center fin in bigger surf, but this was exactly what I was looking for out of this setup.

It pays to play around with fins.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 02:13:49 PM »
I really wish there's one fin setup that can do all condition.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
 :-X
I really wish there's one fin setup that can do all condition.
There is. Just put on whatever you want and make the best of it! :)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 05:55:13 PM »
I do know after I post that comment  ;D

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »

Ha, yeah I wish my fin setup was FCS2 so it was quicker, but it's pretty easy still to swap them out. I would strongly suggest playing around with them though, the smaller center fin has been really fun.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »

Ha, yeah I wish my fin setup was FCS2 so it was quicker, but it's pretty easy still to swap them out. I would strongly suggest playing around with them though, the smaller center fin has been really fun.

are you using a quad with a nubster (5th or trail fin)?

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 12:32:52 AM »
Na, I've tried that on a Sunova Flow before, didn't particularly like it, but would be willing to again.

I just went through a ton of different Futures setups (because I could demo them out for free) using the JL set (thruster, 4.5" all around) that comes with the board as my control:

-EA Blackstix: Large size, but faster based on the ride #, felt very much like JL fins.
- GL2 Gerry Lopez (SUP fins): felt too big.
- F4 Blackstix (Small Fins): Tried it just to get the other side of the spectrum, too loose, slipped out a few times on bottom turns.

-AM1 Blackstix: Medium set but with a smaller center (2+1). Provided the speed of my quad set (which I was looking for) with the turn of a thruster. I have validated this with checking speeds on sessions of like waves with each fin setup with my Rip Curl SearchGPS watch.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »
sounds like a twin with a nubster setup.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal