Author Topic: Which surf foilboard (prone) to buy?  (Read 229 times)

toejammer2

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Which surf foilboard (prone) to buy?
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »
Figured I would give paddle in foiling a try after watching so many videos (loyaltothefoilwestcoast etc.,) Ive been having fun on my 74 starboard carbon sup @ 106 liters. Im probably weighing in at 200lbs considering the fullsuit (Northern Ca). Any heavy guys out there who have gotten stoked on any particular paddle in board? Its always been so easy to go with Starboard but its time to look elsewhere. DWs supsurf machines look good but Im sure considering my weight.
Cheers!

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
Re: Which surf foilboard (prone) to buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
I'm around 205lbs and started on a 7'6" x 20" x 4" here on Maui.  I went with a mid-length initially due to the long paddles on the northside.  Most foil spots are at least .5 mile out.  Taking 4-6 waves makes for a good work out.

I've moved down to a production Jimmy Lewis 6'2" x 19.5" x 3.5".  I still have done the long paddles, but you have to do it in parts, stopping a few times to rest.

Now that it's south swell season, the paddles will be shorter as most summer spots aren't as far out.  My next board will be something in the sub 5' range.  Losing nose will help with the pumps back out, getting rid of the swing weight.

toejammer2

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which surf foilboard (prone) to buy?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
Thanks DB
Is your Jimmy Lewis production board on their website?  The only paddle in foil boards I could find were on an Aussie site. I wont be doing any long paddles. We just have a beach break to ride. I am hoping I can ride the smaller days better due to the board weight  reduction. Is this gonna happen or am I wrong ? My carbon Hypernut weighs 15 pounds.

Cheers!