Author Topic: Which surf foilboard (prone) to buy?  (Read 4882 times)

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Which surf foilboard (prone) to buy?
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »
Figured I would give paddle in foiling a try after watching so many videos (loyaltothefoilwestcoast etc.,) I’ve been having fun on my 7’4” starboard carbon sup @ 106 liters. I’m probably weighing in at 200lbs considering the fullsuit (Northern Ca). Any heavy guys out there who have gotten stoked on any particular paddle in board? It’s always been so easy to go with Starboard but it’s time to look elsewhere. DW”s supsurf machines look good but I’m sure considering my weight.
Cheers!

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
Re: Which surf foilboard (prone) to buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
I'm around 205lbs and started on a 7'6" x 20" x 4" here on Maui.  I went with a mid-length initially due to the long paddles on the northside.  Most foil spots are at least .5 mile out.  Taking 4-6 waves makes for a good work out.

I've moved down to a production Jimmy Lewis 6'2" x 19.5" x 3.5".  I still have done the long paddles, but you have to do it in parts, stopping a few times to rest.

Now that it's south swell season, the paddles will be shorter as most summer spots aren't as far out.  My next board will be something in the sub 5' range.  Losing nose will help with the pumps back out, getting rid of the swing weight.

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
Thanks DB
Is your Jimmy Lewis production board on their website?  The only paddle in foil boards I could find we’re on an Aussie site. I won’t be doing any long paddles. We just have a beach break to ride. I am hoping I can ride the smaller days better due to the board weight  reduction. Is this gonna happen or am I wrong ? My carbon Hypernut weighs 15 pounds.

Cheers!

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:05:04 AM »
Ya I don't see the foil surfboards on the JL site, you may have to go direct to him.  He just got a new shipment of production boards recently, so you may be in luck.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »
I'm pretty pumped about my Kalama board. I'm 235 and it's 7'4". It's a SUP, not a paddle-in, and probably a bit too big even for me, but perfect for the turbulent and crazy Columbia River. There's no such thing as too much stability there. I've also had it in the surf a few times and love the way it handles and gets off the water. Obviously, anyone lighter would get something substantially smaller. Most sub-200 pound folks are on six feet or smaller even for SUP. Dave is probably 215 and he's on a 5'6" last time I saw him. Of course, that was a month ago, so it's probably all different now. If my shoulders and knees would permit, that board would be a fine paddle-in for me. And his kid Austin has a paddle-in board that looks like a lunch tray. He's got some production boards coming, but just as with Jimmy, if you want the good stuff, you'll have to get in touch with him. I doubt he has production Paddle-in specific boards in his production plans, but his overall designs are leading edge.

It's a fast-evolving sport. The good stuff now and for the near future will come directly from the shapers, even their new production stuff. No one knows how big this will be, so most people are not committing to big runs. Jimmy is probably the exception--committing to scale has worked well for him before, but he's also willing to add new stuff and drop the old from his lineup as soon as he finds something better. I doubt you'll see a full tail foil board in Jimmy's lineup six months from now. I saw the first set of plugs for Dave's production boards in Dave Peterson's shop. As soon as they were prepped to ship to the factory Dave had radically changed designs, so they're still there, gathering dust. Lovely things, but as soon as he can take a breath I suspect he'll carve them up to add the new features and they'll stop looking "surfy" and start looking "foily"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:24:47 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:45:39 AM »
I'm pretty pumped about my Kalama board. I'm 235 and it's 7'4". It's a SUP, not a paddle-in, and probably a bit too big even for me, but perfect for the turbulent and crazy Columbia River. . . .

I am now on my 3rd SUP Foil Board in a year.  I have progressed from an L41 8' 2" X 32" --- to --- L41 7' 4" X 30" --- to --- 6' 6" X 27 3/4" Easy Foiler.  What I am finding is that there is a price to be paid in STABILITY for a shorter board.   I only have 7 days on the Easy Foiler 6' 6".  Granted I never complain before 10 sessions BUT this board is noticeably less stable than my 7' 4" L41 SimSup board.  Stability and Maneuverability are by definition mutually exclusive.   

The challenge was that my entire first week was pretty big on the Easy Foiler.  8 ft, then 9 feet, then 10 ft at 11 seconds with chop.  I retreated to wind protected areas because the chop was overwhelming me after 45 minutes.  Then the buoys hit 11.5 feet at 11 seconds.  I cried uncle and grabbed my 'Gun' the 7' 4" and put on the KAI foil after swearing earlier it was too small once I got used to flying the GoFoil Iwa. 

It worked out pretty well.  I lost the post catch glide but was able to take off on some beefy, screaming waves for 200 yards at a shot.  I am excited to get the Easy Foiler out in smaller, cleaner stuff and regain my pump.  More to come but I found no free lunch on the extremely short shapes. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:50:48 AM by Beasho »

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Amundson has some kool prone foil boards so does KingsPaddleSports.  I was told Hi-Tech Surf Sports in Maui has few JL prone boards.  HSS in Huntington Beach carries WestCoastFoilClub boards but asking price is $800.  I may have a local shaper shapes me one.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:03:36 AM by RATbeachrider »

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »
Went with D.W. Supsurfmachines!

Shipping this Thursday.  Paddle in board @ 5’.2” x 20.5. I’ve gotten down to 190lbs. Gonna just start in the whitewater at first. Weird thinking about the fact that I started surfing in 1972 but went all in on sup in 2006. I haven’t hopped up fast in all that time. Looking forward to another challenge at 56yrs old! I’ll try to keep in touch-gotta get that solo shot 2 out of the closet (lots of aspirations that didn’t happen)!

Cheers!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
Went with D.W. Supsurfmachines!

Shipping this Thursday.  Paddle in board @ 5’.2” x 20.5. I’ve gotten down to 190lbs. Gonna just start in the whitewater at first. Weird thinking about the fact that I started surfing in 1972 but went all in on sup in 2006. I haven’t hopped up fast in all that time. Looking forward to another challenge at 56yrs old! I’ll try to keep in touch-gotta get that solo shot 2 out of the closet (lots of aspirations that didn’t happen)!

Cheers!
That's awesome toejam, looking forward to your updates at how it goes. Because I too have been contemplating trying to get back into surf foiling after so many years of SUPing, and now SUP foiling...just because those small foil boards look like so much fun, and the "pumpability" of them fascinates me, and I'd really like to give it a go. But I'm worried about the "hop up fast" part myself having not done it in so many years as well, and not getting any younger...unfortunately.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 03:28:37 PM »
The mistake I see on some of these boards is...

1) Using futures fin boxes. They are not heavy glass reinforced plastic like a chinook.
2) even worse, using futures and only glassing over the flange, not the whole box. Some guys at least do that in an attempt to make up for the brittle cheap plastic.

Nuts can break out of cheap plastic. Just ask anyone who used those silly stick on mounts.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »
That's awesome toejam, looking forward to your updates at how it goes. Because I too have been contemplating trying to get back into surf foiling after so many years of SUPing, and now SUP foiling...just because those small foil boards look like so much fun, and the "pumpability" of them fascinates me, and I'd really like to give it a go. But I'm worried about the "hop up fast" part myself having not done it in so many years as well, and not getting any younger...unfortunately.

Yeah this resonates with me.  I have only tried prone foiling once at beach break that was to crowded, steep, and shallow.  The catch a wave part was super humbling, way harder than sup foiling.  On a positive note I have been watching slow mo footage of prone foilers popping up and it can down slowly, like push up leisurely and get one foot set and then get the other foot in place and then either level flying or pumping like crazy...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal