Author Topic: How would you rate this last winter for sup surfing?  (Read 7054 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
How would you rate this last winter for sup surfing?
« on: May 14, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »

It's always interesting to find out how your sup surfing location did this last fall and winter?  I live near Pismo Beach, Ca.  This winter was warmer and milder than most with nice weather during most of fall and early winter.  Surf stayed smaller than usual I would say.  Only a few large swell events really.  A few locations that handled smaller surf and break well with steeper north swells were very good. 

I asked the same question to some of my proner friends and we all agreed this was sort of a crappy winter for surf?  On a positive note the beach breaks (which typically close out all winter due to large unruly surf)  stayed surfable and fun mostly all through the winter. 8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How would you rate this last winter for sup surfing?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
Kinda sucked. When we had big surf it was blown out, when we had big wing the ground swell was too big for geezers to do Maliko runs. This geezer anyway. Thank the Laird for foils. Or maybe better thank the Alex and the Dave and the Kai.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
Sucked for SC, everywhere around us (Florida, NE, etc.) had the greatest winter ever, not so much for us.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:10:30 PM »
I feel kind of lucky since my "learning curve" years from Sep. 2013 were pretty consistent, allowing me to go out and find waves around Santa Cruz two to four days a week for a couple of years.

Waves seemed good until Thanksgiving 2016.  Then, perpetual storms came, flat, foggy summer, lackluster fall, tossy winter again.  I have only been getting an average of about two or maybe three days every other week or so since then.  Sometimes, it is just that I am not in SC when conditions are good, but it seems generally that the wave gods have not been generous for a while like they used to be.

I had two nice days this last week, though.  I actually caught some waves yesterday at Pleasure Point, in spite of the typical crowded circus, so maybe my Pleasure Point curse is lifted.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:12:18 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »
Winter only ended like two weeks ago…
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
Sucked cause I didn't get out much. Cape looked good from the pics I saw.... >:(. I had a few standout sessions that were special because they were at my new local.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
Central Coast California. When your first thoughts when you wake up are is this a tennis or biking day, you know the surf has been sucky.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »
I hate South wind!!!!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
Lousy I guess. But that does sound spoiled as it not a problem for most.

While there was lots of swell, the wind patterns seem to changing. I’ve been here for 25yrs and the old days of clearly defined wind/rain have given over to vague bad weather stretched out the whole winter with single days of offshores.

This is the other morning. For six hours in a twenty day period the surf gods threw the switch. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 04:22:12 AM »
Most in San Diego will say the worst winter ever. Winter is usually our best season with most surfable days and our occational big days. We did have some surfable days, but not close to as many as usual and we had NO big days.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 06:09:41 AM »
Slightly different story for me....rather reflection....for me.  Since moving back to Middletown full-time (last August) Ive gotten in the water several times each of the last 10 months.  One of my goals I often thought early on when going thru the pros/cons of moving back to RI about was becoming a "year round surfer"...a huge Pro for me.  Yeah, each of the last several months have been pretty brutal at times but each month also had its share of little to no wind, super fun knee-stomach waves, and decent air temps.  Even in the coldest months I got out a couple of times a month and never got cold.  I feel blessed I can jump in the truck and drive 5 mins to the beach whenever the conditions are good as opposed to hoping the weekends are good. With warmer air/water temps coming in here's hoping the wave God's keep a decent supply of waves to scratch the itch a few times a week thru the summer and fall!

Hope everyone has an awesome Spring!!!!!!!!

As away, looking forward to pics, vid's and session reports!

8) 8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:31:12 AM »
I mastered flat water paddling my 7'7" this winter in LA. Mostly knee slappers like this...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:33:03 AM by SaMoSUP »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 07:07:01 AM »
I’d rate it a 10 for Florida and the Caribbean.  Some of the best surf I can remember and lots of it.  Some days the east coast was firing from Maine to Trinidad...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »
I was talking to my PT guy about surfing (he is a mostly a windsurfer) and he thought it was the worst year ever.  And his friends agreed with him as they were relived previous years surf conditions via videos they had made of each other, as there was no surf that day.   

For my part I'd say it was pretty sucky overall. Seemed the wind was howling on days with marginal surf height which killed the take off where you need every bit of speed to catch a mushy shoulder.  But I also was not able to surf as many days either.  But I still checked the surf on cam or in person most days and my overall impresssion was, I did not miss much this year.
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 12:57:39 PM »
Worst winter ever in north OC.  We've had very few swells since November and those we got have been windy and lumpy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:00:53 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal