Author Topic: Large or small area paddle for SUS  (Read 9807 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Large or small area paddle for SUS
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
At 245 lbs, I like a 100 to 110 but short, and only on my shortest totally sunk board. In the lineup, I'm constantly using it to brace. And when punching through the white water paddling out, I like that extra bracing surface. I make very few meaningful strokes when I'm sup surfing a short board. A few quick strokes trying to get past the impact zone on the paddle out, but even then I can't take a big stroke with a board that's 80% sunk. On my 10' and up boards a 95 is just fine. With the bigger boards I can pretty much stand in the lineup without bracing. And with the longer board, I can actually get a tiny bit of glide which helps with catching waves further out. My distance paddle is almost 12" longer than my SUS paddle.

Yeah, so right now here's my setup:

KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 sq. in - 7 inches over my head - race/flat water
Hippostick Al Pro 89 sq. in - 72" long (my height)

Thinking the 79 would fit in on my smallest board and possibly go down to my forehead. Higher cadence.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »
At 245 lbs, I like a 100 to 110 but short, and only on my shortest totally sunk board. In the lineup, I'm constantly using it to brace. And when punching through the white water paddling out, I like that extra bracing surface. I make very few meaningful strokes when I'm sup surfing a short board. A few quick strokes trying to get past the impact zone on the paddle out, but even then I can't take a big stroke with a board that's 80% sunk. On my 10' and up boards a 95 is just fine. With the bigger boards I can pretty much stand in the lineup without bracing. And with the longer board, I can actually get a tiny bit of glide which helps with catching waves further out. My distance paddle is almost 12" longer than my SUS paddle.

Yeah, so right now here's my setup:

KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 sq. in - 7 inches over my head - race/flat water
Hippostick Al Pro 89 sq. in - 72" long (my height)

Thinking the 79 would fit in on my smallest board and possibly go down to my forehead. Higher cadence.
I've got a good paddle that's too short now. I kept going shorter and shorter, then my back started telling me that was too short.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
Reviving this post, thinking about the Rip Stick 79 with a smaller shaft/grip based on the length I need - 72". Any thoughts on going this small in paddle size given I'm 6'0, 170 lbs, and currently on a 87 sq in blade.

I've had some shoulder issues not caused by paddling, but definitely excerabated by it. I'm thinking of using this paddle with my smaller - 100-110L boards in beachbreak,  keep the other paddle for my longboard, and when I know I'll have some long distance paddling.

Thoughts?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »
Thinking of buying the Rip Stick 79 because there's a decent discount on it, and I figured it would be a nice complement to my larger 87 sq in paddle for my smaller boards and when my shoulder is acting up. Any other reviews/thoughts?

I hate that I can't demo gear before buying.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »

Do you have access to any small blade paddle? That might help your decision. I commented earlier in this thread on how grabby the blade is. It's such that I'm sure the 79" punches above its weight. 

That said, PaddleOn ultimately found the 79" too small. So regardless of blade design, it might be just a function of how a sub 80" blade feels to you. 

Where is it discounted?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
small for sure, though depends on your weight & height ratio & shaft flex.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
People tend to get excited when going for a wave and their stroke comes apart. Happens to almost everyone except people like Dave Kalama, whose stroke gets cleaner as the waves get bigger. If that's you, then a bit bigger will help. It's certainly me, which is why my surf blade is a Mana 90 and my downwind blade is a Konihi 82.

I broke my Mana yesterday and grabbed the Konihi to keep playing. It was a bit bitchy because it was too long, but once I got used to it and paid attention to getting a good stroke I started catching waves. Every time I missed on I thought through the cause--poor catch and lousy stroke--almost every time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »
People tend to get excited when going for a wave and their stroke comes apart. Happens to almost everyone except people like Dave Kalama, whose stroke gets cleaner as the waves get bigger. If that's you, then a bit bigger will help. It's certainly me, which is why my surf blade is a Mana 90 and my downwind blade is a Konihi 82.

I broke my Mana yesterday and grabbed the Konihi to keep playing. It was a bit bitchy because it was too long, but once I got used to it and paid attention to getting a good stroke I started catching waves. Every time I missed on I thought through the cause--poor catch and lousy stroke--almost every time.

That's interesting, mine definitely falls apart (depending on conditions/board). I'm mainly looking at smaller blade for faster cadence, because when I do actively make it a point to speed my cadence up and shorten my stroke it feels so much smoother.

The other issue being that I'm thinking it may help with my shoulder pain.

It's probably also key to note when I will use which paddle:

Current Paddle - Hippostick Al Pro 89 sq in - cut to 1" OH - use with higher volume board (150L longboard)
New paddle - cut to OH (1" shorter) - use with smaller volume boards (100 - 110L shortboards)

I'm 6'0", 170 lbs.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Tyler M

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
Where is the sale on the Ripsticks?
I’m looking to get a second one.
I have the 89 adjustable 2 piece.
After a year I’ve found my preferred length and I never adjust it.
I think I’ll get the fixed one piece and keep my current paddle as a backup or loaner for friends.
L41 or Infinity boards around 100 liters

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »
So, I've had the Rip Stick out twice now, once when I got it on flatwater, and once in waist/chest surf with a pretty stiff offshore wind which was a good test of power. Short answer, I love it, here's some observations:

Session #1: Flatwater (I used my 8'8" not my 14' board to get a feel):

I went out with both paddles going back and forth for comparsion sake. First thing I noticed - the smaller shaft. I was a bit aprehensive about it because I'm a 6'0, 170 lbs. man and I think the smaller shaft/handle is more oriented towards women, etc. It works really well, I think part of my shoulder pain was from inadverently gripping the paddle too tight taking off on a wave. Going back to my old paddle feels like wielding a battle axe. The smaller handle does take a bit of getting used to, but it's  not a problem.

From a power/cadence standpoint, it's not a huge drop off from 89 to 77 sq in, what I can tell is that I can certainly increase my cadence and it feels a lot smoother.

Wave session -
i tried going back and forth, started off 15 minutes with my Hippostick, went in to switch to the Rip Stick and never went back for the Hippostick. It's probably going to be for sale now. I don't know if it's just a personal feel or what, but I definiitely prefer the Rip Stick now. That and it seemed to be easier on my shoulder, no pain, although it's only been 1 session in the waves, so I will have to get a bit larger sample size on that. Definitely feels as if it has more flex than the Hippostick as well.

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal