Author Topic: Large or small area paddle for SUS  (Read 9812 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Large or small area paddle for SUS
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
I use a Maliko 95 probably 95% of the time. Konihi 95 occasionally, Molokai 105 rarely and Wiki 84 never. Even I've gone smaller i guess, started with the Molokai as my weapon of choice.....but it is relative. The Maliko is a small paddle for me at 6-4 280. The Konihi is weird...I get a faster cadence but it seems like it catches bigger. I still prefer it more for distance and downwind but i have surfed with it more and more.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
DP, it's definitely not linear, not even for the same person.  Clearly, if I gained 50 lbs that would not mean that I should add 25 sq inches to my paddle blade.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
I once thought that cadence was something hardwired into people, like some bicyclist like to spin and some like to torque. And so people wired for high cadence should get a small blade. Now I think it's mostly a matter of stroke quality. If you bury your blade without splashing, wait a microsecond for the blade to settle and the air to bleed off the face and back, and then catch the blade, pressing down as much as you pull, then a smaller blade will work for you. If you don't do all that then you need a bigger blade to make up for the inevitable slip and compromised catch.

I'd explain the physics and hydrodynamics behind my reasoning, but it would bore even me. Suffice it to say that if the only thing that surrounds your blade is incompressible water instead of an air and water mix, then the water flows across and off the blade relatively slowly. If that's the only way for the blade to slip through the water then a big blade isn't necessary.

Of course if your stroke really sucks, and you aren't burying the blade, then you need a big blade to compendate.

If I focus on my best catch for the entire length of a paddle, then the fastest paddle for me is the Konihi 84. If I start picking daisies it's slow. The fastest blade for my on-again, off-again focus is the Mana 90.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
DP, it's definitely not linear, not even for the same person.  Clearly, if I gained 50 lbs that would not mean that I should add 25 sq inches to my paddle blade.
Yep...Just having fun...
But what if it were 50 lbs of muscle?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 03:34:34 AM »
Yep...Just having fun...
But what if it were 50 lbs of muscle?

I'd be a total babe magnet brah!  Trade in my paddles for a uke and my Birdwells for some Speedos.

But on a more serious note, me with 50lbs more muscle would probably be comfortable with a slightly bigger blade, while 50lbs more fat would probably be better with a smaller blade.

The reality is, I can't set an 84...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:04:07 AM by Bean »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
I have friends with both the Rip Stick 89 and 79 and tried them back to back and prefer the 79 especially with smaller boards--had more than enough pull for me.  I weigh 185 lbs.  I didn't buy one as I decided to cut down my Konihi 84 to surf size and have been using that ever since.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 06:07:48 AM »
Of course if your stroke really sucks, and you aren't burying the blade, then you need a big blade to compensate.

Probably explains my preference.....I'm a flailer of the 1st order..... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
Any other opinions of the Rip Stick? I'd love to try one, but no one around me has any for demo.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »
i bought one and took it for a maiden voyage.

100% better for small SUS balance, night and day, instead of having to remind/train myself to move slow, gently it felt natural and easy, also when riding the wave felt great...............

on the other hand when i paddled a long ways to the next break or when paddling for the wave it seemed to be slower, but then again i did not pull myself off balance.

i am going to follow PonoBills advise and attempt to "bury your blade without splashing, wait a microsecond for the blade to settle and the air to bleed off the face and back, and then catch the blade, pressing down as much as you pull".

i will give this a try tomorrow morning and report back.

all that said i am guessing that if i was on one of my larger boards that it would be slower, then a gain i am 200lb with lots of inertia!

Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »
Paddle On - Did you get the 79?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
yes, after a second session with the 79 in light off shore wind it is just too small for me. not only do i have to sit inside with a small SUS board i had to catch the wave even later.

so for this 200lb barge i need more horse power, good thing i still have my 89. im kinda bummed as the paddle is so light a awesome for balancing.

anyone interested in a rip stick 79? only used twice!
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 10:49:52 PM »
That's exactly what happens to me if I try going with a small blade on a small board. You have to sit so far inside you almost don't need a paddle. Sometimes you're going whether you want to or not...:). It takes more to get a small board moving initially anyway and for me it feels like with a small blade I'm trying to go fast with only 1st gear. I've tried changing to a fast cadence. I just do better with a bigger blades oomph.
Bob

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:45 AM »
just like when you step down in board size until you go too small and then you jump back up ;D

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
I'm still thinking about the Rip Stick 79 for my smaller boards. I still have the Hippostick Al Pro 8.0 (89 sq in.) as my primary surf paddle, I'm thinking that the smaller blade would be useful with my lower volume board when in smaller surf. Keep the AL Pro for bigger surf when I really need a ton of power.

Thoughts?

I'm 175 lbs, 100L board on my smallest one.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »
At 245 lbs, I like a 100 to 110 but short, and only on my shortest totally sunk board. In the lineup, I'm constantly using it to brace. And when punching through the white water paddling out, I like that extra bracing surface. I make very few meaningful strokes when I'm sup surfing a short board. A few quick strokes trying to get past the impact zone on the paddle out, but even then I can't take a big stroke with a board that's 80% sunk. On my 10' and up boards a 95 is just fine. With the bigger boards I can pretty much stand in the lineup without bracing. And with the longer board, I can actually get a tiny bit of glide which helps with catching waves further out. My distance paddle is almost 12" longer than my SUS paddle.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal