Author Topic: Introducing the Sunova Race Team - and their 2 piece travel boards.  (Read 8312 times)

supthecreek

Sunova is a Standup Zone Sponsor and I am the designated poster for them.

Over the past few weeks, I have gotten to know the Sunova Race Team, at the companies World Wide Dealer Meeting at the factory in Thailand. Completely awesome to be a part of that!

It was great to see the racers families enjoying this trip.

Kelly Margetts from Austrailia and fiancée, Sarah Callaham with Kelly's 2 daughters.
Noic Garioud 16 year old phenom fro New Caldonia, and his father, Olivier
Lina Augaitis and Aiste, the cutest baby in the world, from Canada
Takuji Araki and his 12 year old son "Shrimpy" from Japan

Marcus Tardrew from Australia along with all the associated friends and supporters.

What a very cool group of people.... super fun to be around.

After the meeting, most of the race team plus Tino, took 4 two piece 14' raceboards and headed for Japan.
Stop #4 on the "Paddle League World Tour".... where they finished really well and the boards got a ton of interest.

Two piece boards have been around since the 60's, so nothing new there.... but these look like the real deal!
Sunova has teamed up with the proven system of "the Carbon Compact" from Nature Shapes, Sayville NY.
Ease of transport and results are impressive.

Up close, this system looks beautiful and substantial.
They will be at all major races..... have a look, and say hi to these awesome folks, who love SUP so much!

and, Yes..... you can get ANY Sunova as a 2 piece board  :)    (I have seen lots of them.... ride report soon)

Some pics of the team and the boards at Japan's "Kerama Blue Cup"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Looks like everyone had a great time. Should be interesting to see if these two piece Sunova's take off with today's sup crowd.

BTW, thanks for posting all of the photos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Creek....what about a two piece "Creek"?  Have you ridden one yet?

I am back from the flat water of Slovenia, and ready to try a two piece in Brazil, Samoa and Peru coming up. 
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Cool, Rick.  I'm sure glad you gave the Sunnova snowball a push from Mt. Cape Cod.  Just think, in a 4mil wetsuit in unpredictable conditions, you likely beat out a 20yr old, 150lbs. phenom from 'pick of choice conditions', HI who was reportedly paid a lot money  (past tense) by Robbie Naish as 'SUP Marketer of the Year' for the last couple of years - certainly in this venue.

My nose tells me, now the 'Everybody Must SUP' era is well past, those distribution channels bulked with product are not going to satisfy customers or investors.  The days where superstars as the only available benchmark is over, now that anybody can ask people just-like-them in the UK, OZ, HI, etc..  "How do you like your board?"  You happen to be a level of skill well above most, but you represent real people, not Circ du Solei performers.  Cool. Press on.

About those 2pc boards...   The scary part was thinking about those dugout rails, packed in cardboard, handed to some of the lowest paid people in aviation...  Then the other thought came:  check baggage regulations.  it would be spectacular to be able to actually check a board to Panama, CR, etc. that you knew you would be comfortable on the second you got there instead of 'rental potluck' or having to take a micro-board.  Looks like you packed/stacked two-together, but I would bet two small, padded bags would work better.   ..until' one half went to Seattle instead of LA.

'Hear Mr. Whitey is wondering when you're coming back to the Cape?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I guess the idea is not new but the execution seems to work this time.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Regardless of the  piece the Allwater prototype looks very nice with the new tail and the new open top at the ont. Hope this makes it to the production one piece model.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the report mr creek and looking forward to hear more stories.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Bert brought a performance longboard 2 leave to test. He and James Casey are giving it a workout and they report it surfs just like a one peace. Looks like a game changer for traveling.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
crazy the tech came from Natures Shapes right in NY.  I havent heard anything about it previously- though do know NS has one of the only CNC Blank machines in the NE.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Saw this tech at boardroom show 2 years ago. It's really nice. Great to see Sunova pick this up. I never thought of how much this is needed for race boards. Genius

supthecreek

Re: Introducing the Sunova Race Team - and their 2 piece travel boards.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »
Cool, Rick.  I'm sure glad you gave the Sunnova snowball a push from Mt. Cape Cod.  Just think, in a 4mil wetsuit in unpredictable conditions, you likely beat out a 20yr old, 150lbs. phenom from 'pick of choice conditions', HI who was reportedly paid a lot money  (past tense) by Robbie Naish as 'SUP Marketer of the Year' for the last couple of years - certainly in this venue.

My nose tells me, now the 'Everybody Must SUP' era is well past, those distribution channels bulked with product are not going to satisfy customers or investors.  The days where superstars as the only available benchmark is over, now that anybody can ask people just-like-them in the UK, OZ, HI, etc..  "How do you like your board?"  You happen to be a level of skill well above most, but you represent real people, not Circ du Solei performers.  Cool. Press on.

About those 2pc boards...   The scary part was thinking about those dugout rails, packed in cardboard, handed to some of the lowest paid people in aviation...  Then the other thought came:  check baggage regulations.  it would be spectacular to be able to actually check a board to Panama, CR, etc. that you knew you would be comfortable on the second you got there instead of 'rental potluck' or having to take a micro-board.  Looks like you packed/stacked two-together, but I would bet two small, padded bags would work better.   ..until' one half went to Seattle instead of LA.

'Hear Mr. Whitey is wondering when you're coming back to the Cape?

Jim

the raceboards in the pics were packed up direct from the demo/meeting.... so taped up on the run..... get to the airport at 4 AM mode.

The 2 piece Dugouts have traveled to many places already.... including to the Carolina Cup, OZ, Thailand, Japan and Hawaii with zero issues.

Yes: Travel board bag package will be available for regular Surf SUP 2 piece.... nice clean luggage style board bag for easy handling. ONE bag makes it a very strong, in a convenient size.

The buzz from the biggest dealers in OZ is super positive about Sunova... they love the product and company image.
The Dealer meeting was about all the different ways that Sunova is connecting around the world.... like featuring Sunova's on the Moon Tour in the Maldives..... a world class surf camp in an exotic location, has used Sunova surfboards exclusively since 2014...... anything but mainstream. The dealer meeting was very exciting.... I learned a ton of stuff that Tino and Bert are doing, and I was very impressed. These guys are very  interesting and a ton of fun!

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »
The Tech is from Carbon Compact in NY, but Sunova converts the boards here in their own factory.
I have seen quite a few of them.
They took a bunch of 10'6 Kids raceboards to Japan, since they had a big kids event included in the World Tour venue.

Including kids at the same event as Elite paddlers is a great way to build a healthy SUP base.

Having their own local Sunova super kid, hang tough with the elite racers, has got to be huge for local paddle stoke.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 11:04:43 PM »
Creek....what about a two piece "Creek"?  Have you ridden one yet?

I am back from the flat water of Slovenia, and ready to try a two piece in Brazil, Samoa and Peru coming up.

Sorry Davy....no 2 piece Creek around here to try..... in fact no Creeks at all, since the 8'10 went to the Maldives.
I have been riding a 9'0 Flash, 10'2 the ONE and 9'6 Style!

There is an 8'10 Speeed 2 piece, but I have been waiting to ride the Flash for a long time.
So humid that board switching is not happening...... 800 yard paddle in after a session = "give me a cold drink and a nap"

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »
Shrimpy's Dad just posted this picture..... this kids the real deal. So's his Dad  :)

I love this direction for Stand up..... start em' young!

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 02:51:26 AM »
Nature shape is a great local shop.  I have 3 of there custom surf boards.  Awesome work!!!
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal