Author Topic: Flooding in the south Kootenays/Boundary region. Christina Lake Tour  (Read 3108 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Many parts of southern BC are experiencing bad flooding right now, with areas such as Grand Forks in the southern Kootenay/Boundary region shattering the previous high water record from 1948. The flooding is being described as one in a hundred year event and senior residents are describing the flooded watershed as unprecedented in the region. Many people have had to be rescued and fortunately no one has been seriously hurt as far as I know.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-town-submerged-by-worst-flood-in-70-years-30-people-rescued-1.3926926

A friend and I made the short drive to Christina Lake from Castlegar (Christina Lake is a neighbouring community of Grand Forks). I had heard that some homes were flooded in low lying areas along the lake, but didn't realize it was this severe, with dozens of seasonal as well as permanent residences being badly damaged and still partially submerged. We came across local police on their boat who were making the rounds to make sure there was no looting and everyone was safe. It was an interesting day and we had some good conversations with friendly locals who are working together to repair and prepare for the possibility of another surge of high water, as the snow pack melts in the hot weather.

Some pics from our visit. The first two pics are screen shots from news pictures in Grand Forks.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:21:32 PM by robon »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Seeing your pictures of the flooding reminded me on our flooding when Hurricane Harvey paid ups a visit back in late August of 2017. Just as we came together to help our fellow neighbors, the people BC will do the same. Neighbors helping neighbors.

I like to believe what the worst  Mother Nature can bring, brings out the best in people in the aftermath.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Yes, people in the area are quite resilient and are preparing for the worst. Other communities following the Similkameen watershed and Osoyoos lake may see another rise in water as hot weather is forecast all week with the possibility of rain, which could make things worse.

So far, this is looking like a repeat of last year in BC. An unseasonably hot stretch of weather in the spring-early summer that spurred one of the worst fire seasons in recorded history. The benefits of above average snowpacks that would normally help with a seasonal transition into the summer are totally negated when it gets hot this early and the temperature stays above average indefinitely.

There was a time when I said I would never move from this region because the low population and high concentration of nearby lakes and rivers allows many paddling options, and there is a multitude of other options for outdoor pursuits as well. With that said, when my lungs are burning for months because of extended fire seasons, I don't know how much more I can handle and I used to fight wildfires. Two out of the last three years have been brutal here for smoke and it's looking like these fire seasons could be the new normal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4205866/officials-warn-of-more-flooding-in-okanagan-similkameen/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:20:47 AM by robon »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Whoa! Hope you are doing OK and stay safe.
Are you coming to Vancouver for paddling this summer?

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
One of the reasons we wanted a small place in Santa Cruz is because of the California summer fires and days/months of wretched heat, smoke and humidity in Pleasanton.

Then, we got our place in Santa Cruz, and there were weeks of fire, wretched heat, smoke etc. in Santa Cruz, too.

The fires have made the allergy season extend to eight months of the year. What was that rumor about the great California weather?

So far this year, though, Santa Cruz is more like when we first moved here with niceness and some jewel like days.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile

Luc

Hey Luc,

Hope all is well with you. I may have some work training late summer and it would be great to get out on the water with you again. If you ever want a paddling buddy to do one of the (possibly shorter) paddling expeditions with Norm's guiding company, let me know. It would be cool if you posted some of your paddle sessions up on this site. I like the GPS replays that relive gives you. Do you just need a Garmin device for that?

Where I live, the Arrow Lake reservoir prevents flooding. Kootenay Lake and river are influenced by Dams and it prevents flooding as well, so we are safe. Going to play on the Columbia this afternoon.  Some people have experienced flooding along the Salmo river, which is 30 minutes from here. Christina Lake is 45 minutes away, and a little further west of Christina is Grandforks, and both communities have been hit hard by flooding. Especially Grandforks. The high-water record from 1948 was broken by 60 centimetres (just under two feet). Pretty crazy.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:32:39 AM by robon »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
One of the reasons we wanted a small place in Santa Cruz is because of the California summer fires and days/months of wretched heat, smoke and humidity in Pleasanton.

Then, we got our place in Santa Cruz, and there were weeks of fire, wretched heat, smoke etc. in Santa Cruz, too.

The fires have made the allergy season extend to eight months of the year. What was that rumor about the great California weather?

So far this year, though, Santa Cruz is more like when we first moved here with niceness and some jewel like days.

Hey,

I hope the niceness continues in Santa Cruz, and we could see a return to more seasonal temperatures. It's just not good when it gets this hot before May is even half over, but it's possible the weather cooperates this year. The smoke really puts a damper on outdoor activities and that's why we live where we do. I'm enjoying the smoke free spring right now.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email

Luc

Hey Luc,

Hope all is well with you. I may have some work training late summer and it would be great to get out on the water with you again. If you ever want a paddling buddy to do one of paddling expeditions with Norm's guiding company, let me know. I would be cool if you posted some of your paddle sessions up on this site. I like the GPS replays that relive gives you. Do you just need a Garmin device for that?

Where I live, the Arrow Lake reservoir prevents flooding. Kootenay Lake and river are influenced by Dams and it prevents flooding as well, so we are safe. Going to play on the Columbia this afternoon.  Some people have experienced flooding along the Salmo river, which is 30 minutes from here. Christina Lake is 45 minutes away, and a little further west of Christina is Grandforks, and both communities have been hit hard by flooding. Especially Grandforks. The high-water record from 1948 was broken by 60 centimetres (just under two feet). Pretty crazy.

Great. Try to block a week-end here so we can do Howe Sound together. And most definitely you should come for dinner.
So the application is called Relive and works out of a Garmin Connect files, Strava and a few others:
https://www.relive.cc/
See you soon.

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again