Author Topic: Hot Glue Advice???  (Read 5307 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Glue Advice???
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »
If it was put together with 5 min epoxy it will come appart with heat.

Try the least invasive first.  Heat up a pot of boiling water, dip the handle in for a couple of minues and then try to jerk it off.  If it doen't come right away, you might have to just cut that sucker off...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
so bean--if i heat an epoxy-mounted carbon handle/shaft, hnadle'll pull out undamaged??

got an epoxied paddle i need to cut down a few inches, so need to disconnect and end up clean for reinsertion with hot glue

kinky, i know.............

any guidance beyond heat gingerly and twist/pull on the sucker??

ther i go again....

Don't twist. Pull straight. If you overheat even slight and twist the carbon shaft will collapse. If you overheat the part and manage to get it apart without damage, the composite matrix will still be compromised. You can likely get away with that at the handle where forces are lighter and axial to the shaft more or less, but don't do that to the blade junction. enough heat to melt hot glue is fine, much more than that and you'll do damage. Epoxy resins can generally handle temperatures to 350F--but that's the limit. Heating to no more than 300F ensures you don't degrade the structure. It's actually good for the structure to reach 300F and cool slowly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:51:40 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 11:08:22 AM »
Don't twist. Pull straight. If you overheat even slight and twist the carbon shaft will collapse. Enough heat to melt hot glue is fine, much more than that and you'll do damage.
Yep, learned this the hard way...on a buddy's paddle that cost me another handle to remedy the situation.

It had worked on another epoxied in handle I had on different paddle, but not on the next one. Won't be trying that again anytime soon.  :o :(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »
Just make sure you put lots of hot glue and don't be tight because you'll get water in and you'll have to do it again  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal