Author Topic: Hot Glue Advice???  (Read 5305 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Hot Glue Advice???
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a bit of advice re hot glue. I recently ordered a new paddle and asked that the handle be hot glued. Somehow this got interpreted that I wanted the handle “unglued” so I got my new paddle, but the handle is not glued in.

I did a search on this site and found a fair bit of information on “re-glueing”, but I couldn’t find anything on using hot glue from scratch. So please excuse my ignorance if these are simpleton questions, but I’ve never done this before and I really don’t want to screw up a brand new paddle.

I have a glue gun so I thought I’d heat up the paddle shaft and the shaft of the paddle handle with a blow drier, and then apply hot glue to the shaft of the paddle handle.

I’m not sure though how much glue I should apply? And secondly, should I apply it in a linear bead along the shaft or should I apply it around the circumference? Or does it matter?

Then I’d insert the paddle handle into the shaft twisting a bit as I go (it’s an oval shaft so I can’t twist a lot) and then once fully inserted pull it back out an inch or so and then go back in.

Does this sound right? And again, how much glue should I be using and does it matter how it’s applied (linear along the shaft or around the circumference)?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Glue Advice???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »
QB

Below is a link to a YouTube video on hot glueing a Ke Nalu paddle. PonoBill is the guy in the video. I have used his instructions. Works well.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUPUZ_te4c
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »
The beauty of the hot glue is that even if you screw it up you just reheat and do it again - no permanent damage.  I've only done it with my KeNalu paddles but assume it's all the same. 

Doesn't matter if the glue is circular or linear - just twist a bit as you insert and it will get coverage.
You can't really over-apply.  Any excess is squeezed out the top

EDIT - FRP beat me to the video link :)
I was about to type a more detailed description of the process but google found me the video of PonoBill that I learned from - so straight from the source.  In this vid the glue is already on the handle but it's got some good tips in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUPUZ_te4c

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:07:18 PM »
Yellow glue has always worked better than the white for me. True Value, Ace et cetera.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:39:42 PM »
This is how we hot glue our Kai Zen V2 paddles, the beginning is about sizing, skip to 4:15 to see the hot glue process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0-iFn1gy0I
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:43:00 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »
This is how we hot glue our Kai Zen V2 paddles, the beginning is about sizing, skip to 4:15 to see the hot glue process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0-iFn1gy0I

Thanks so much Robert. An excellent video. Takes me from the very beginning of the process to the end. Very much appreciated.

And thanks as well Mr. Big for the tip on the glue. Will definitely keep that in mind.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »
Just as an add-on on the extra strength glue, if this is something you don't intend to do often
and you'd like it to hold for a long time try to find high-temp hot glue, they usually come in amber
color and don't melt easily with hair dryer, they are more hassle to deal with but they hold very well.

Also, Robert touched it a little in his video, I'd suggest you use heat-shrink tape after you're done, this thing
will ensure no water exposure on the seams. Robert sell those online and I find it very useful.

Here is the link: https://blueplanetsurf.com/products/heat-shrink-tape-2pcs/
in progress...

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »
Preferred heat guns?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:31:08 PM by spirit4earth »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
Any heat gun is fine, but don't get too carried away. You can easily overheat the core and crack the shaft. Go slow, hold the heat gun some distance away, warm up the inside of the shaft to keep the glue from spot cooling. Parts actually need to be designed for hot glue--they need some flats in them. Two perfectly round telescoping parts might twist under torque.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
Any heat gun is fine, but don't get too carried away. You can easily overheat the core and crack the shaft. Go slow, hold the heat gun some distance away, warm up the inside of the shaft to keep the glue from spot cooling. Parts actually need to be designed for hot glue--they need some flats in them. Two perfectly round telescoping parts might twist under torque.

Thank you!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
Yellow glue has always worked better than the white for me. True Value, Ace et cetera.
^^ This is important, and worth repeating if you just happened to miss it. ^^^

Not thinking/knowing originally, I used some of my wife's white (craft?) glue which worked fine initially, but after some time, it started cracking, and breaking off internally, and I've had handles, and paddles loosen. Not to the point that they twisted or came apart, but I could feel a little wobble in the blade, and the handles did turn just ever so slightly. I reglued them, only to six to eight months later have the blade loosen a bit again.

A couple months ago I found some Gorilla Hot Glue, and even the installations felt different, and everything just feels rock solid. I guess only time will tell if even though they're white also...if they'll hold up any better. But the nice thing about all of it, is that it's really pretty easy, and only takes a few minutes to R&R them...and I'll go find some yellow glue if the GG doesn't hold up any better than what I was using before.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 04:13:18 AM »
same here--the cheap craft glue that comes with the little swingline heaters etc holds up poorly--the amber-colored larger glue sticks are better, and gorilla seems best---hot gun? pb correct that any will do, and will be overkill if youre not careful---before i knew better, melted a kenalu adjustable ergo handle trying to remove, and the shaft twisted like it was made of cloth--overkilled
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 06:08:24 AM »
If a paddle is made to be glued thats great.  But for paddles that are not, an alternative plan when you might need to get the components apart, is to use 5min epoxy.  Like glue, 5min generally has a lower melting point after it is set.  I've not encountered any issues seperating components with heat whether heat gun or boiling pot of water (AKA, DJ's approach).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:10:08 AM by Bean »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:07:07 AM »
so bean--if i heat an epoxy-mounted carbon handle/shaft, hnadle'll pull out undamaged??

got an epoxied paddle i need to cut down a few inches, so need to disconnect and end up clean for reinsertion with hot glue

kinky, i know.............

any guidance beyond heat gingerly and twist/pull on the sucker??

ther i go again....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal