Author Topic: Come to Tofino!  (Read 89920 times)

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Come to Tofino!
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »
Great tips on this thread FRP!  I've been wanting to go to Tofino for years as I've mostly only been in the area in deep winter for trips to Whistler.  As luck would have it I just started working for a Canadian company HQ'd in Vancouver.  I'm planning to go there for business in late September so will try extend the trip to include the weekend in Tofino. Seems like a fair amount of AirBnB's are available (hotels are pretty pricey) and the ability to rent performance boards from Tofino Paddle Surf is a big plus.  I'll probably bring my Patagonia R2 and reluctantly will pack booties and my hooded vest. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
Just got back last weekend from 5 beautiful days there.  This year, we didn't get caught in Fogust like we sometimes do this time of year.  The wind stayed down and a nice (be it small) long period swell came in from the south (you gotta pick your beaches). 

... I'm planning to go there for business in late September so will try extend the trip to include the weekend in Tofino. ...

September and October can be the best time of year there for a combo of good weather and good waves.  Fingers crossed.
50 years old, 5'7", 145 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
Great tips on this thread FRP!  I've been wanting to go to Tofino for years as I've mostly only been in the area in deep winter for trips to Whistler.  As luck would have it I just started working for a Canadian company HQ'd in Vancouver.  I'm planning to go there for business in late September so will try extend the trip to include the weekend in Tofino. Seems like a fair amount of AirBnB's are available (hotels are pretty pricey) and the ability to rent performance boards from Tofino Paddle Surf is a big plus.  I'll probably bring my Patagonia R2 and reluctantly will pack booties and my hooded vest.

Pabst
Good to hear that you will be joining the ‘hood. Africa is correct we have had a good summer in Tofino and late September is one of my favourite times of year. The vibe on the water is generally fairly mellow. A local 16 year old gal came in third in longboard at the recent Panam games in Peru. Amazing really because she is more of a shortboarder. The whole town is really happy for her great result. If you want PM me with the dates you will be out. It would be good to connect. I know most of the breaks fairly well and can provide a bit of local knowledge. Your R2 should be ok as long as you mostly on your board. I was in my R2 last week and it was fine. Africa I hope to see you on the water.......well I may not see you .......I wear glasses and really should have contacts for surfing.
Cheers
Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Dan_GiddyUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
Bob, you still haven't gotten contacts? 

Remember when you couldn't see me on my obnoxious yellow Naish at Cox Bay?  ;)

Hope summer is winding down nicely for you up there!
Dan from CO
Infinity Blurr 8' 2"
Infinity New Deal 9' 0"
Donald Brink Asym 9' 0"

River:
Hala Milligram 6' 11"
Badfish River Surfer 6' 11"

Flatwater:
Starboard Allstar Airline 14' x 26"

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2019, 07:16:35 PM »
Hey Dan

Great to hear from you. Yes I seem to be a bit slow on the uptake on the contacts. Sort of crazy but as long as I can see the waves coming I seem to be quite happy not seeing the faces in the lineup.

We have had a good summer and I am looking forward to getting out surfing more this fall. I seem to be falling down the fin rabbit hole and have three new sets to start swapping around.

Hope to see you out this way again in the near future!

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »
FRP.... have a blast with Pabst, he's a great guy and a very good surfer!

Here's a few screen shots of Pabst, from a session we shared in RI a few years ago.... Mrs. Pabst can hold her own as well!

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »
FRP.... have a blast with Pabst, he's a great guy and a very good surfer!

Here's a few screen shots of Pabst, from a session we shared in RI a few years ago.... Mrs. Pabst can hold her own as well!

Thanks Creek

Yowser! Those are some serious waves and that looks like a seriously short board. I hope we can find a few good waves when Pabst is out this way! I love the fall. It is my favourite time of year. The crowds thin out, the waves pick up and the weather is often amazing. There is at times for me an overwhelming sense of nostalgia that is almost palpable.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM