Author Topic: Come to Tofino!  (Read 89939 times)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Come to Tofino!
« on: May 12, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
The Rip Curl Pro surf event is on now in Tofino. My SUS mentor Catherine Bruhwiler
is competing in the women’s open and master’s events. She is the only woman representative in the master’s. Go Catherine!!

Here is the video from last year and event promo for this year. Gives a good overview of the area.

Cheers

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxMoLiDl4I
https://sbcsurf.com/2018-rip-curl-pro-tofino-teaser/
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Come to Tofino!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »
I'm actually looking at taking a trip to Tofino. I'd like to go somewhere in August to escape the humidity and summer doldrums on the EC. How are the waves then? I'm bringing the wife, so any suggestions on hiking, wildlife tours, etc. as well.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:26:40 PM »
Hi APPST

August in Tofino can have good surf, generally smaller, but definitely surfable. Cox Bay, Long Beach and Wicanninish perhaps more reliable depending on swell size and direction. All beach breaks. Often fog in the mornings in August but usually it burns off. Lots of surf shops and one very good small SUP shop where you can rent boards. Even in the summer you need a full wetsuit. There are whale and bear watching tours, boat trips to Hot Spring cove, fishing charters, many excellent hiking trails both in and outside the national park, very good restaurants, good take out at Wildside Grill and Taccofino and a small golf course, airport and hospital. Ucleulet a nearby town is well worth a visit, spectacular hiking trail to the lighthouse and has a small very good aquarium that is all catch and release. Let me know when you are coming and with any luck can meet and get out for a paddle. August is always very busy with tourists and lots of people in the water. Early morning if the fog isn’t too thick is often best.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »
Hi APPST,

I forgot......ocean kayak tours......this coast has some of the best paddling in the world.....not for the faint of heart as exposed coastline. The day trips however are in protected waters.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:36:50 AM »
Such a beautiful place Bob..... the first thing I thought about was exploring all those points for good SUP breaks.
I bet the paddling is amazing along that coast as well..... time for you to get a Search and head out for some adventures!

So many awesome travel destinations.... thanks for the great look at yours!

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 03:05:28 AM »
Welcome Back Creek!

You are correct, there are a few point breaks that are mostly accessible by boat and need the right swell and with the right conditions in winter can produce a huge barreling wave. Down the coast at Jordan River there is a good point break but it gets crowded and there is a bit of local attitude. It is interesting that you mentioned the Search..........I have been wondering.........

If you ever make a west coast tour it would be wonderful to meet you!

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
Yeah - thanks for the info, I contacted Tofino Paddle Surf and it sounds like they have a nice quiver of boards for surf, starting at 71L and up (so I think I'm covered there). I think we are going to shoot for early August, sounds pretty awesome. I'll bring my wetsuit in my bag, I'm just glad I don't have to worry with logistics with the SUP. How is the drive from Victoria to Tofino?

I basically have a free flight to Seattle and will spend a few days there before heading up.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
Hey Appst - Feel free to connect while in Seattle if you'd like some in city flat water touring... or beer ... or both.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 12:34:23 PM »
Hi Appst

The road from Victoria to Tofino is great. Divided for half the 5 hour trip and then narrow winding paved road. Slow going at times. There are some scheduled closures for a few hours every day for a year or so while they do some widening on the Kennedy Lake hill. Check online for times so that you don’t have to wait. I hope we are here when you come. Let me know when you have some dates.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 04:00:37 PM »
Whats the surf like in september or october ?   I drove up once from oregon and loved the area.  The water was warmer than down south by us ?  All my Canadian friends in mexico say its cheaper to fly down to them than stay in Tofino now ? 

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »
Whats the surf like in september or october ?   I drove up once from oregon and loved the area.  The water was warmer than down south by us ?  All my Canadian friends in mexico say its cheaper to fly down to them than stay in Tofino now ? 

The surf in Sept and Oct can be great.  It's my favorite time of year there for overall conditions--good waves and not winter cold yet. September can have mid-summer warm days at times if you get lucky.  The waves are definitely more consistent than July & August.   Ya, Tofino isn't the cheapest place to find accommodation (especially in July/August). 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:33:00 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »
Hey Appst - Feel free to connect while in Seattle if you'd like some in city flat water touring... or beer ... or both.

Done - and both.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »

The surf in Sept and Oct can be great.  It's my favorite time of year there for overall conditions--good waves and not winter cold yet. September can have mid-summer warm days at times if you get lucky.  The waves are definitely more consistent than July & August.   Ya, Tofino isn't the cheapest place to find accommodation (especially in July/August).

Yeah, I would come in September but that's prime Hurricane season, August is usually pretty slow both kiting and wave wise.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
I have been surf kayaking there in a competition. Beautiful location,  certainly a little off the beaten path.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 01:51:04 PM »
Hi

Session from this morning at Cox Bay, Tofino. Shoulder to head high. Beautiful morning. 7am and already 9 cars in parking lot. Road my bike down; 15 minute ride trailering my 8’10” Speeed. Head high is at the limit of my ability. Just quick rides down the line. Captured a few good prone surfers. Even something for “seadart”. The end of the video is a surf kayaker. I didn’t know he was out. The kayak is a Murky Waters, IC, Salsa. It use to be mine and I moved it along to a local paddler.

Cheers

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal