General > Travel, Trips, Destinations

Come to Tofino!

(1/8) > >>

FRP:
The Rip Curl Pro surf event is on now in Tofino. My SUS mentor Catherine Bruhwiler
is competing in the women’s open and master’s events. She is the only woman representative in the master’s. Go Catherine!!

Here is the video from last year and event promo for this year. Gives a good overview of the area.

Cheers

Bob

https://sbcsurf.com/2018-rip-curl-pro-tofino-teaser/

APPST_Paddle:
I'm actually looking at taking a trip to Tofino. I'd like to go somewhere in August to escape the humidity and summer doldrums on the EC. How are the waves then? I'm bringing the wife, so any suggestions on hiking, wildlife tours, etc. as well.

FRP:
Hi APPST

August in Tofino can have good surf, generally smaller, but definitely surfable. Cox Bay, Long Beach and Wicanninish perhaps more reliable depending on swell size and direction. All beach breaks. Often fog in the mornings in August but usually it burns off. Lots of surf shops and one very good small SUP shop where you can rent boards. Even in the summer you need a full wetsuit. There are whale and bear watching tours, boat trips to Hot Spring cove, fishing charters, many excellent hiking trails both in and outside the national park, very good restaurants, good take out at Wildside Grill and Taccofino and a small golf course, airport and hospital. Ucleulet a nearby town is well worth a visit, spectacular hiking trail to the lighthouse and has a small very good aquarium that is all catch and release. Let me know when you are coming and with any luck can meet and get out for a paddle. August is always very busy with tourists and lots of people in the water. Early morning if the fog isn’t too thick is often best.

Cheers

Bob

FRP:
Hi APPST,

I forgot......ocean kayak tours......this coast has some of the best paddling in the world.....not for the faint of heart as exposed coastline. The day trips however are in protected waters.

Bob

supthecreek:
Such a beautiful place Bob..... the first thing I thought about was exploring all those points for good SUP breaks.
I bet the paddling is amazing along that coast as well..... time for you to get a Search and head out for some adventures!

So many awesome travel destinations.... thanks for the great look at yours!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version