Author Topic: Futures Sup fins dead?  (Read 6293 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Futures Sup fins dead?
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »
I heard this rumor making the rounds but nothing definitive, anyone else?
in progress...

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Futures Sup fins dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »
I've suspected mine of near death a couple of times.

Once I figured out it was the pilots fault, I forgave them.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:06 AM »
I'm seeing a bunch of "Surf" companies that jumped on the SUP band wagon (adding nothing but "Me Too" marketing to the sport) Slyly retreating after the perceived SUP Boom.

All I can say is "To bad So sad"

jimK

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
after testing a few fins majority of it are marketing hype and they got me  :)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »
after testing a few fins majority of it are marketing hype and they got me  :)

I think that is what many people realized  ;D
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Coque

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 10:59:17 AM »
Above average surfer and sup surfer for more than 25 years here (competed won different contests along the years, surf, sup, racing, blah blah...). I'm a gear freak. I own like 15 different SUP race fins and dozens of surf set ups. I have no relation to Futures fins.

That said: my opinion is that Futures make some of the best, if not the best, fins in the market, for both racing and surfing.

Their Triangle Cutaway fin is a GREAT all round race fin and the fin to go if you don't know which conditions you'll find along the course. Their flat water keel fin is a great fin too: low drag, low wheight, great tracking... Their downwind fins work very fine too and their Manta fin is a great technical race fin, but also a great choppy / mild downwind fin for convex bottom boards like the Ace or the NSPs.

So: props to Futures and I whish more companies put more effort into SUP racing fins like they do.

Also: wish they were easier to find in Europe!

BTW: they produce some really fine stuff like their US fin boxes: much better than any other US box in the market, specialy for EPS boards. The same goes for their leash plugs, etc...

Cheers

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »

Maybe its another sign they're about to kick the bucket on SUP fins
in progress...

Coque

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »

Maybe its another sign they're about to kick the bucket on SUP fins

Not really. It's just a sign of how the European Futures distributor works. They're focussed on surfing fins (I work for a local retailer) and even on surfing fins (where their sales are growing big), they fail to have stock of all the models they should. All and all, it's a great product (heaps better than FCS) and I'm fortunate enought to be able to receive all the fins I need (except for the Manta!!!).

Cheers.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
Above average surfer and sup surfer for more than 25 years here (competed won different contests along the years, surf, sup, racing, blah blah...). I'm a gear freak. I own like 15 different SUP race fins and dozens of surf set ups. I have no relation to Futures fins.

That said: my opinion is that Futures make some of the best, if not the best, fins in the market, for both racing and surfing.

Their Triangle Cutaway fin is a GREAT all round race fin and the fin to go if you don't know which conditions you'll find along the course. Their flat water keel fin is a great fin too: low drag, low wheight, great tracking... Their downwind fins work very fine too and their Manta fin is a great technical race fin, but also a great choppy / mild downwind fin for convex bottom boards like the Ace or the NSPs.

So: props to Futures and I whish more companies put more effort into SUP racing fins like they do.

BTW: they produce some really fine stuff like their US fin boxes: much better than any other US box in the market, specialy for EPS boards. The same goes for their leash plugs, etc...

Cheers

really  :o?
I tested some of those fins and I couldn't tell the difference or improve nor better than other fins  8)   

Coque

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 02:24:15 AM »
So, you mean you can't feel the difference between an FCS Slater Trout and a Futures Triangle Cutaway M, for example? Or between an FCS Danny Ching and a Futures Manta?

I love testing new products, tried sup race fins from: FCS, Futures, Black Project, NSP, Fanatic, Starboard, SIC, Maui Fin, and few others and the differences are very noticeable IMO. Tracking, stability, drag, surfing bumps, etc...

Cheers.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 03:16:28 PM »
So, you mean you can't feel the difference between an FCS Slater Trout and a Futures Triangle Cutaway M, for example? Or between an FCS Danny Ching and a Futures Manta?

I love testing new products, tried sup race fins from: FCS, Futures, Black Project, NSP, Fanatic, Starboard, SIC, Maui Fin, and few others and the differences are very noticeable IMO. Tracking, stability, drag, surfing bumps, etc...

Cheers.

with limited demo place & time I've wasted $ co's of marketing hype 8)

lets be clear here any pro can go fast on any board & fin (ex. F1 driver can win if he or she has a better car than other driver's).

depends on the type of board:

slater vs cutaway are totally different fin's, the slater imo has no stability, light, tracking yes & speed yes. The cutaway Small & Medium are more stable than slater & tracking but less speed.

ching vs manta again are totally different fin's, never tested the manta because looking at it scares me with that low profile and I've tested a few low profile fins and never like them. They turn well and fast some tracking and no stability. Not arguing with Mr Ching's speed record and I can see why, light, fast, tracking yes but no stability.

also tried FCS II, BlackProject, NSP, Starboard, fanatic, VMG & Maui.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »

depends on the type of board:

slater vs cutaway are totally different fin's, the slater imo has no stability, light, tracking yes & speed yes. The cutaway Small & Medium are more stable than slater & tracking but less speed.

ching vs manta again are totally different fin's, never tested the manta because looking at it scares me with that low profile and I've tested a few low profile fins and never like them. They turn well and fast some tracking and no stability. Not arguing with Mr Ching's speed record and I can see why, light, fast, tracking yes but no stability.

JEG, based on your comments above it seems like you feel the difference quite well actually. The question though is, would you feel any difference if the rumor
is actually true and Futures are no longer in the sup business? ;)
in progress...

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 04:22:16 AM »

That is quite the assessment from someone that thinks fins are all hype  ;)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
futures fin is out of business, really burchas? :D 

yup singingdog, I like hype and base on my assignment its complicated :D

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
futures fin is out of business, really burchas? :D 

Rumor has it they are out of the SUP business, I was hoping to get more out of this thread
other then the usual rambling but who am I to complain when the basis of this thread is
is also a ramble :D
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard