Author Topic: Hip replacement and SUS  (Read 9869 times)

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hip replacement and SUS
« on: May 10, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
So a few weeks ago I had a hip totally replaced.  The pain had finally reached a level that was unacceptable when present, and times when it was present were occurring more often and from activities that previously did not aggravate my hip.  I'm just now getting scheduled for outpatient PT so I'm not well versed in how long it will take to get on a board again.

For hip surgery how long before you could do SUS again?  Any hacks you employed to help or move the process forward?

Thanks,
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hip replacement and SUS
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
Ralf Sifford had his done and didn't seem to miss a beat, though things in Maui happen in time-lapse for me. Knowing Ralf I'd say he did all the PT he was supposed to and then doubled down. That's the usual trick for me when I get something hacked on. Your PT will only have a tiny number of session authorized by insurance. Either pay out of pocket or just discipline yourself to do ALL the exercises for much longer than recommended. For my knee repair I built an electric recumbent three Wheeler that let me get outside and ride without risking a fall or even just a sudden brace that would have put me back to square one.

Doctors are used to dealing with fat people who won't do anything. Take that into accounts every time they give you a timeframe. Let them know you want to push things.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:37:19 PM »
I fancy myself an expert on hip rehab having had both hips replaced, 10 years apart. The first one was the left side at age 49. I surfed exactly 5 weeks to the day after the operation.

10 years later, I had my right hip replaced. In 6 weeks, I surfed on my stand up board.

I passed up on the official rehab both times. I found that as soon as I was mobile enough on crutches to get into a pool, that was THE best rehab possible. I would go everyday to our local swim center and walk then kick, back and forth in the slow lap lane for hours a day.

Also, take the Percocet for the first week when you need it. That's what its for. After that, give up on that shit. The longer you take it, the longer it takes to get back into the surf.

PM me if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:54:15 PM by southwesterly »

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »
I can only say that everyone is different. There are a few variables that are do help. #1 is your surgeon. A good ones make it much easier with less pain and quicker recovery. The other is your fitness before going into the operation. Lastly the rehab is all you. How hard you work at it has a lot to do with the outcome. Get a stationary bike stand if you have a bike and go at a couple of times a day. I was told I couldn't hurt the joint and it was up to me to decide when I was comfortable enough to get back in the water. I had the hip resurfaced instead of the full joint replacement so it was different in someways but they still pull you apart like a chicken to do the work. Good luck with your recovery and you'll be back on the water sooner then you think but no need to rush it.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:11 AM »
Good luck with your hip. I had mine done with the anterior approach using a Hana specialized table. I also had the best hip guy in Portland. Dr. Denes. Back paddling flat water in 11 days. Dave at rehab was really impressed. My advice for anyone needing one is sooner is better than later. I had a couple of friends wait too long and their recovery was a lot longer.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
my hip chop clock is ticking--i am not there yet, but very close--i have just stopped limping, a week now after 8 sessions in 6 days in Costa Rica

glad to hear the good stories about getting rehabbed and back on water quickly

sad to hear that delayu can lead to more challenging recovery---cuz i wanna delay--scared shitless of surgery, infection blah blah---and it has always reverted to at least near normal, after flaring up
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
All good to hear

No using pain killers longer then necessary is very important.  I used for a week and put them away after that.

My doc, who is kinda the hip guy in SC, has kept me on a 50% weight bearing regime for a month and then a cane for weeks afterwards.  But his program has a high success rate (he is not selective on who he works on either so his rate I think is real) so I'm probably going to stick with it even though it might take longer to get on the board again.

What I did learn here is do the PT. I've been pretty consistent on that front but now I have increase my workout session by 2x.  Once that is  a bit easier I'll double up the reps as well.   

I wish i had not put off my surgery for as long as I did.  As you get older it takes longer to heal so total time out of water is greater since you probably have more days where you cannot surf because of the hip.

Man it sucks to be out of the water.  After I saw this https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32441.msg377981.html#msg377981  I just want to jump on my foil board so bad.
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:06:22 PM »
From what my doc tells me, hips are easy and fast recovery, knees are not.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Bill,  Mirrors what a doc I just listened to say...  A friend from Cape Breton who winters with her husband in the Bahamas on a 36' Pearson sent me a link to a CDN Maritime radio program featuring a surgeon.  Not only is this culturally interesting but the guy puts words together quickly and sounds like he doesn't share in profits along the 'pathway'.   He comes in ~16min.

http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/maritime-noon/episode/15547792

Jim   ...'one who is avoiding spine surgery.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
I'm NO EXPERT here

But I gotta say a buddy of mine (and Zone Lurker) Tom O'Brien won 2 SUS National Championships after at least ONE Hip replacement (Maybe 2) and he's still RIPPING today. So it can be done POST surgery its up to you I'm told

Secondly my old partner here at Extreme Windsurfing just had double knee surgery (Done in Stowe VT of all places) and she is doing great had an easy ski outing just weeks after surgery and is windsurfing (Highwind B&J) both here (at Lakes Bay NJ & 2 weeks in Hatteras) So it can be done keep up a positive attitude and keep rehabbing

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
I had my right hip replaced last September by Dr. Johnstone in Tacoma. I was in the hospital only 1 night and was up and walking within 2 days. I used oxycodone  and hydrocodon the night after the surgery (in the hospital) and on the morning day after. I did not use any pain meds after that other than ibuprofen. The first day and night at home were pretty painful.....but I was determined not to use any of the opiods. I was walking with a cane for a few days and by week 2 I was walking several miles everyday and by week 3 I was back up on my SUP and have been fine ever since. Needless to say,  my Doc was a bit surprised and said my recovery was outstanding because I was in such good shape to start with. Today,  I am still aware that I have had the hip replaced..meaning at times there is still some discomfort if I "overdue it". But for the most part I am very glad I did it and I have no limitations. The best technique seems to be "from the front" and gives the fastest recovery.
Just FYI....I am 66, about 5'8 and 158 lbs. The right hip was bone on bone.....no issues with my left hip.
My doctor and his team were A1......Dr. Joshua Johnstone @  CH Franciscan at St. Joseph in Tacoma, WA.
I highly recommend him.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
Wow Connector I wish I had your progress. I'm into week 6 post op and still cannot walk all that far.  I have to ice after pt,gym or biking - which I just started again.  I weigh 50 pounds more then you so that could be a reason for my slow progress.  Still if I have full mobility again it will be worth the wait even if it means a summer without surfing/foil crashing     

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
My doctor did warn me before the procedure that it is not uncommon for many to take as long as 2 years before they are truly back to normal. Not every body is the same. I would say that for me,  the key was regular exercise before the procedure and then " back to it" as soon as possible after. The first couple of days were pretty painful and I can't imagine how some people are able to do both hips at the same time!!  How would you get to the potty and back and then wiping your butt would just be impossible!!
I am sure hoping I don't have to go through this for the other hip,  but at least if I have to I'll be prepared!!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 05:48:12 PM »
I've had both done and am back to my normal, 100% kook geezer self!   :o 8) :P
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 07:11:20 PM »
Anyone who has shoulders, hips or knees done that doesn't have one of the Japanese butt wash toilets is just nuts. Washes you clean and then dries with hot air. No contortions. I mentioned that to a friend in Portland who had shoulder surgery. He thought it was silly and the toilet seats were too expensive. He tore the long bicep off the metal attachment wiping his ass. Back to square one. 400 to 500 for the fancy heated ones, the cheap ones aren't heated and don't dry your butt. Works OK but not pleasant.

My wife thought 500 bucks was a bit expensive for a toilet seat. I told her it's that or she could wipe my ass for me. SHE bought the seat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal