Author Topic: Search 14 and 12  (Read 12752 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Search 14 and 12
« on: May 10, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »
I was lucky enough to paddle supthecreek’s Search 14 when I visited him last summer.  I liked that board on the inland water.  Has anyone here paddled the 12?  I think the 14 might be too much board for me, but the 12 might be something worth saving for.
Feedback?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:05:37 PM by spirit4earth »

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Search 14 and 12
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
Always wanted a 12' Search, but had to settle for shorter as it was Sunova's "pre-container" days.

I'd take a look at finding a 12' Bark Excursion.  Designed in a similar surfboard style, but has excellent speed on the flats for it genre.  It's also very stable at it's 30" width and the surfboard nose is very forgiving in wind and rougher conditions.

No it's not going to touch a 25" wide 12'6" race board, but it's fast enough.  The bonus is there are maybe only a couple of other 12 footers out there that might surf as well.

Saw a new one on the LA Craigslist for $699-$799ish recently and was tempted just for a backup.  If you can find one around a grand, you'll be stoked.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
@ spirit4earth

I think the Sunova 12' Search would be good for you for what you want, which sounds like inland water and also coastal cruising. But as an added bonus, if the waves are large enough, you can actually surf a 12' Search. It might be good enough for small waves too. Take a look at the 12' Search video below.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
Always wanted a 12' Search, but had to settle for shorter as it was Sunova's "pre-container" days.

I'd take a look at finding a 12' Bark Excursion.  Designed in a similar surfboard style, but has excellent speed on the flats for it genre.  It's also very stable at it's 30" width and the surfboard nose is very forgiving in wind and rougher conditions.

No it's not going to touch a 25" wide 12'6" race board, but it's fast enough.  The bonus is there are maybe only a couple of other 12 footers out there that might surf as well.

Saw a new one on the LA Craigslist for $699-$799ish recently and was tempted just for a backup.  If you can find one around a grand, you'll be stoked.

I wonder if 12' x 30" x 5" x 192.2L would be too thick and too much volume for 150 lbs?  H2O sports has one on sale.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »
Great video!  I’d like hear how well it paddles flatwater.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:54:49 PM »
I liked the 14 Search a lot. I used Creeks for the last CCBC and had it for a few days before and after. Handles flatwater and chop great. I'm just the opposite though...I'd like to stretch it out to a 16'er for my extra grande frame. I haven't seen the 12 other than the video. Casso makes that look easy doesn't he. It's a versatile shape. Great cruiser, decent downwind, didn't get a chance to surf it but can tell it would fly. I think you would like it for flatwater. At your size I'd imagine it would be rock solid stable. They still maneuver well though for big boards, the thin rails make them feel smaller than they are. The construction is top notch too, light but pretty rugged from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:09:22 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 09:18:07 PM »
I liked the 14 Search a lot. I used Creeks for the last CCBC and had it for a few days before and after. Handles flatwater and chop great. I'm just the opposite though...I'd like to stretch it out to a 16'er for my extra grande frame. I haven't seen the 12 other than the video. Casso makes that look easy doesn't he. It's a versatile shape. Great cruiser, decent downwind, didn't get a chance to surf it but can tell it would fly. I think you would like it for flatwater. At your size I'd imagine it would be rock solid stable. They still maneuver well though for big boards, the thin rails make them feel smaller than they are. The construction is top notch too, light but pretty rugged from what I've seen.

The thin rails are a part of why I liked the 14.  The board was big, but I didn’t feel like I was corky on the water.  I actually don’t know what the recommended weights are for either the 12 or the 14.  ??
  Who knows, maybe I really will learn to surf before I keel over!

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 10:28:05 PM »

I wonder if 12' x 30" x 5" x 192.2L would be too thick and too much volume for 150 lbs?  H2O sports has one on sale.

I weight 160 and no worries.  The tail is narrow and the rails are very refined and thinned out.  The reason it surfs so well.

Yes, I have seen the H2Outlet pricing, but no phone contact is always a red flag.  I did track them down to the same complex as Surftech, so I'm guessing it's just their liquidation website.  I'd call Surftech direct and ask.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 02:30:37 AM »
@ spirit4earth

Keep in mind a production built 12' Search comes with only one fin box. In the video above where the 12' Search is being surfed, that is a custom built 12' Search which has three fin boxes. You can see that in the beginning of the video.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 03:50:11 AM »
My 14' Search has only one finbox,  can't imagine why I'd need more..... the tail is so pulled in, the center fin is plenty and it turns great, once you have the technique down.

One reason I like the Search is it's stability in adverse conditions.... as my vids show, I paddle in snow storms and though ice, so I'd rather not fall in with my ever present camera. it's waterproof, but I like to keep the lens dry when shooting.

I have had other 30" wide boards that didn't give me the confidence that the Search does.
Not a super fast paddler, like a race shape.... but then, I'm not looking for top end..... just an enjoyable few hours on the water when it's 15 degrees out.

The 12'er should be fantastic for you Spirit..... it's the same 30" wide that my 14' has. 1
179 liters vs my 218 liters..... I would be fine surfing the 12'er

I hope your "search" has been fun and you have found your spirit place  :)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 06:03:35 AM »
For the amount of money one would spend for a production built 12' Search with 1 single fin box, I think it would be wise to spend just a little more to get the 12' Search with a 3 fin box. Basically, if one would encounter a situation where 3 fins might be better than 1 single fin, lets say to make it easier to turn the board direction wise, it would nice to have that extra option already available.

In other words; "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Anyway, I've found another video of this same surfer, surfing a production built 12' Search with 1 single fin in what I call small waves. The video is below.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »
My 14' Search has only one finbox,  can't imagine why I'd need more..... the tail is so pulled in, the center fin is plenty and it turns great, once you have the technique down.

One reason I like the Search is it's stability in adverse conditions.... as my vids show, I paddle in snow storms and though ice, so I'd rather not fall in with my ever present camera. it's waterproof, but I like to keep the lens dry when shooting.

I have had other 30" wide boards that didn't give me the confidence that the Search does.
Not a super fast paddler, like a race shape.... but then, I'm not looking for top end..... just an enjoyable few hours on the water when it's 15 degrees out.

The 12'er should be fantastic for you Spirit..... it's the same 30" wide that my 14' has. 1
179 liters vs my 218 liters..... I would be fine surfing the 12'er

I hope your "search" has been fun and you have found your spirit place  :)

Creek, I’m still wandering!  Let me know of any opportunities on the Cape—-it’s awesome up there!  If you get any leads on a 12, keep me posted.
I know you’re loving your Thai time......a fantastic experience for a great guy!  Onward!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal