Author Topic: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?  (Read 49566 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
nice SIC boards
I think its time for SIC to build a dugout  ;)

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2018, 02:29:18 PM »
Any rumors about the 2019 models of SIC Maui? I read in another thread that Mark Raaphorst is no longer with the company (or is he?). Are they going to hire another shaper to come up with something new?

There were a few new SIC models introduced at the Outdoor Retailer last week. I'm pretty sure Mark is still with SIC, haven't heard anything contrary to that, but I think he also has a new Foil brand: The Flying Dutchman.
New models include a Okeanus (from what I understand it's a touring version of the RS), the Sonic (another touring board, at an entry price with Bic technology), RS inflatable models an all-round board that I don't know the name (only saw some side views, but it has a longboard shape). Also, I think there will be a production RS 14 x 21.5
Nice photos, thanks! The deck of Okeanus looks more recessed than that of RS. Not bad as a touring version. ;D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
It’s such a shame that SIC stopped making the 11-11 Recon. One of those boards  in a light but tough construction would hit the mark for a lot of (bigger) folk: you could race it in the rec class in the morning, take it and the dog for a lunchtime cruise in the afternoon, and then finish off with a sunset surf on it in the evening. The new SIC surf/all-round are either too short or too wide (or both) for me to be interested. But clearly there must be a big market out there somewhere for 34” wide boards.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
Tried out 6 boards from One.  The best of the bunch was the 17'11x25 UL dugout by a long shot.  Could even use that board as a single quiver daily driver.  Steering was spot on and the width felt stable like 28.  Was really nice with a slender nose -> much better than wide splash boof designs.   As well felt much faster than the tubby surf nosed Bullet 17.4 paddling on flat.  Very nice for its design parameters.

Also tried the 24 Edge 2.0 which has a triple concave like my 23 All Star.  Felt very stable for a 24.  Was the next best board for me.  But speed was slower than my AS.  Def could feel the drag and a bit less glide.

Storm was nice as well as the Evo.  Pro versions were all very stable at 25.  Felt better to me than the fat Ace boof.  At this width -> drag felt pretty high.  Overall One has some very nice stable designs.  Narrowest board available was the 24 -> but could see the 25s being very user friendly for a lot of paddlers.

http://www.onestanduppaddle.com/boards%20page/Unlimited

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2018, 09:15:28 PM »
^
I had a short paddle on the One Evo Pro 25" along with the 2016 and 2017 Starboard Allstars in 24.5" and 25" widths recently.

While both Starboards are surprisingly stable at 25", the Pro was certainly more stable than both the 2016 and 2017 Allstar. No revelation that the dug out design of the Pro would be more stable than the Allstars, but it was just very comfortable to paddle overall, and the stability carries through to the tail. I would say the Evo Pro easily felt as stable, if not more so than my Evo 26" for both primary and secondary stability.

I wasn't overly interested in owning one of the newer dug out designs until I paddled the Pro. Getting back in doesn't look fun at all after you get dumped though.  I would be interested in the 27" wide as an all conditions distance cruiser and add tie downs front and rear.

The sneak peek of the new touring board from SIC looks good too and I want to try to the 26 and 28" widths for the RS.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2018, 10:12:53 PM »
^
I had a short paddle on the One Evo Pro 25" along with the 2016 and 2017 Starboard Allstars in 24.5" and 25" widths recently.

While both Starboards are surprisingly stable at 25", the Pro was certainly more stable than both the 2016 and 2017 Allstar. No revelation that the dug out design of the Pro would be more stable than the Allstars, but it was just very comfortable to paddle overall, and the stability carries through to the tail. I would say the Evo Pro easily felt as stable, if not more so than my Evo 26" for both primary and secondary stability.

I wasn't overly interested in owning one of the newer dug out designs until I paddled the Pro. Getting back in doesn't look fun at all after you get dumped though.  I would be interested in the 27" wide as an all conditions distance cruiser and add tie downs front and rear.

The sneak peek of the new touring board from SIC looks good too and I want to try to the 26 and 28" widths for the RS.

Hey Mel, you should consider talking to Norm about the Sunova touring board that he has been working on with them. If somebody can come up with a fast touring board, it would be Norm for sure. I am also planning to try one when time allows.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
A nice touring board might be that One UL in 26.  Would suspect that to be super stable.  Basically a canoe SUP with toe steering.  Could load a huge amount in that dugout.  The 25 UL paddled like a dream on flat for a full out DW dugout design.  Liked the feel so much -> took it out a couple of times just to make sure.  Glide was much more than expected and did not feel splashy.

Problem for us would be loading and storage.  These dugouts are getting to be quite huge and cumbersome to move around.  Tough to stack a board like that for group shuttles.  Stepping forward and back was easy and stable.  Out of the Sunova SB and One -> each dugout has a different feel.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal