Author Topic: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?  (Read 49570 times)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
2019 Fanatic obviously have the new Strike, the Falcon (which is now a clog) and finally the new 'Blitz'.

https://www.facebook.com/fanaticsupaustralia/
Ah, “The Blitz”... there’s a name associated with happy memories in the UK.

Coming up for 2020 from Fanatic, the new model called “Dunkirk”...

Here in Melbourne, we have a football team known as the Bombers, who, when they aren't receiving suspensions from WADA for institutionalized doping, are known to enter the stadium in home games to the sound of a London blitz air raid siren. Classy stuff.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »
No word yet on what the Allstar will be doing for next year. My current thoughts are that rather than going back down the team route is that I'll be racing on a knockdown sale 2018 Starboard Sprint in a 23 width or the 2018 Allstar in a 23.5. I was going to go down the Lightsignature road but my little voice says not to..... or at least see how their team riders do at the ICF worlds first on them.

How certain are you that Starboard team riders will compete in the ICF worlds? If you listen to ISA shill Caspar Steinfath, none of the world's top athletes have any interest in attending the ICF event. But I guess he would say that, wouldn't he?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2018, 01:02:33 AM »
No word yet on what the Allstar will be doing for next year. My current thoughts are that rather than going back down the team route is that I'll be racing on a knockdown sale 2018 Starboard Sprint in a 23 width or the 2018 Allstar in a 23.5. I was going to go down the Lightsignature road but my little voice says not to..... or at least see how their team riders do at the ICF worlds first on them.

How certain are you that Starboard team riders will compete in the ICF worlds? If you listen to ISA shill Caspar Steinfath, none of the world's top athletes have any interest in attending the ICF event. But I guess he would say that, wouldn't he?

It's not they don't want to, it's that many of them are formally contracted to the ISA and have to shun the ICF. That's the only problem the ICF has - a championship is only as legitimate as the quality of athletes attending it. If the ICF doesn't attract some of the names, it won't get the traction. However, I think they've been smart by having it as an open entry because if it starts pulling in 300 athletes and becomes a festival in itself, that inclusivity will work well for their PR and legitimacy.

For what its worth, I do know of some domestic level team paddlers are planning on going. I couldn't this year due to a date clash with a family holiday but I probably will do at some point.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »

It's not they don't want to, it's that many of them are formally contracted to the ISA and have to shun the ICF. That's the only problem the ICF has - a championship is only as legitimate as the quality of athletes attending it. If the ICF doesn't attract some of the names, it won't get the traction. However, I think they've been smart by having it as an open entry because if it starts pulling in 300 athletes and becomes a festival in itself, that inclusivity will work well for their PR and legitimacy.

For what its worth, I do know of some domestic level team paddlers are planning on going. I couldn't this year due to a date clash with a family holiday but I probably will do at some point.

It appears to offer more suitable conditions for surf racing and downwind than anything the ISA has presented thus far. The great irony of the ISA running SUP races is that they seem to want to push the events towards flat water, hence the counter-intuitive and retrograde step of transforming battle of the paddle into the nondescript "technical racing" just so that they could relegate the events to inland lakes.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
The formats of the races are heavily dictated by weather. Let’s see what the ICF do with their formats if they don’t get wind or waves. The ISA have been generally pragmatic about hedging their bets for this reason.

In the UK, as soon as British Canoeing offered the SUP community some minor role in the organisation, or affiliation, many of the guys in the business immediately got down on their knees and asked British Canoeing what they would like to put in their mouths, gratis.

I guess it is a sign that the ISA has failed to make sufficient inroads into the UK SUP community.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
The formats of the races are heavily dictated by weather. Let’s see what the ICF do with their formats if they don’t get wind or waves. The ISA have been generally pragmatic about hedging their bets for this reason.

In the UK, as soon as British Canoeing offered the SUP community some minor role in the organisation, or affiliation, many of the guys in the business immediately got down on their knees and asked British Canoeing what they would like to put in their mouths, gratis.

I guess it is a sign that the ISA has failed to make sufficient inroads into the UK SUP community.

As far as the uk went, it wasn’t that british canoeing did more so much but more so that surfing England did nothing. They hadn’t really organised a good race in years and left what races we had to informal organisers such as uksup to manage and run. Even the national team qualifiers were run on goodwill in their name by others. It seemed this was due to their interests being mainly surfing based and apathetic.

One thing I will say is odd though and that’s the ICF limiting the inflatable board class lengths to 12’6 when everything else is up to 14ft.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
Lilos only 12-6? I didn’t know that. That makes NO sense, since the only argument for 12-6 that does make sense is the travel logistics thing, and inflatables solve that. In fact I was hoping that there would be unlimited class inflatables for overseas races. Imagine how the logistics of doing the M2O would change if you could carry your board on your back, and take it normal luggage on the plane over. Sadly however, there seems instead to be a race to the bottom with iSUPs right now, not to the top.

I was out surfing my UL board today, about a mile offshore, at a rippy spot. Lovely session, with the place to myself. Some guy on an all round inflatable paddled out, got about half way and I could see that he was getting bounced around all over the place. He turned around and gave up. Wise man. Even if he had made it out he’s have caught nothing - waves too fat and awkward. But I was having nightmares problem. Inflatables have a very long way to go. It’s such a shame that innovations from ULI years ago, like the wiki rail, haven’t been extended and developed by other brands. For a moment there it looked like inflatable design might be going somewhere. I’ve got an ULI from about 10 years ago. The fins on it are far better than those on the new Starboard iSUP I just got. There’s progress for ya...

supthecreek

« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2018, 07:04:03 PM »
Check out these inflatables.
I rode one in Thailand..... bottom turns and lip smacks are possible.
They really do work.

I have ridden other inflatables and IMO, it was not really surfing.... it was just a challenge to see if I could make a wave.
These are different and worth a look.

This video is a "kickstarter" vid.... I don't know if Stefan is still funding or if he is in operation.... but I do know they work pretty well for an inflatable. Definitely an interesting approach.

No, I do not have any connection with the company.... I just like Stefan and his product.

https://www.tripstix.de/

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
New Model from NSP - Carolina. This is looking like a step in a good direction.

The Rest is pretty much the same.
in progress...

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
Check out these inflatables.
I rode one in Thailand..... bottom turns and lip smacks are possible.
They really do work.

I have ridden other inflatables and IMO, it was not really surfing.... it was just a challenge to see if I could make a wave.
These are different and worth a look.

This video is a "kickstarter" vid.... I don't know if Stefan is still funding or if he is in operation.... but I do know they work pretty well for an inflatable. Definitely an interesting approach.

No, I do not have any connection with the company.... I just like Stefan and his product.

https://www.tripstix.de/
This one looks truly interesting. I like it being unsinkable. ;D Would make crossing large lakes (especially where you can find tree trunks with sharp edges from time to time) alone on an inflatable less intimidating.
It seems that they've also been working on an inflatable race board. I hope it does come out some day.
BTW, is their factory Thailand-based?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »
I agree burchas, looks good on paper and probably one of best dugout board available but choose your width carefully and a demo would be good if you can.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »
If was to buy this board, the only width I would consider is the 25 3/4 if I'm to use it
in its intended conditions. It's good to see they didn't go kookoo on the volume.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »
If was to buy this board, the only width I would consider is the 25 3/4 if I'm to use it
in its intended conditions. It's good to see they didn't go kookoo on the volume.

And a 27" or about would not go amiss. Like the 2017 Ace that came in 27" and is supposed to be very good.
But of course it would likely not make sense for a racer target demographic. How many would paddle a less than sexy 27" clog.....outside of me I guess.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 06:00:22 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »
Any rumors about the 2019 models of SIC Maui? I read in another thread that Mark Raaphorst is no longer with the company (or is he?). Are they going to hire another shaper to come up with something new?

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »
Any rumors about the 2019 models of SIC Maui? I read in another thread that Mark Raaphorst is no longer with the company (or is he?). Are they going to hire another shaper to come up with something new?

There were a few new SIC models introduced at the Outdoor Retailer last week. I'm pretty sure Mark is still with SIC, haven't heard anything contrary to that, but I think he also has a new Foil brand: The Flying Dutchman.
New models include a Okeanus (from what I understand it's a touring version of the RS), the Sonic (another touring board, at an entry price with Bic technology), RS inflatable models an all-round board that I don't know the name (only saw some side views, but it has a longboard shape). Also, I think there will be a production RS 14 x 21.5

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal