Author Topic: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?  (Read 49577 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
Did anyone see the new 2019 Naish Maliko?

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/maliko-140-x26-pro-sandwich-carbon-stringer/

Look same as last year, maybe some minor modification to the nose but more changes in construction
it seems. Graphics are Heinous imo.

I think they are the same but with colourway changes. The grey of the Maliko looks awful. It's like someone got a can of spray primer out and threw it all over the board. Two years in a row like this suggests to me that Naish have given up on the race market and what they have is good enough for the market size on offer.

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
Did anyone see the new 2019 Naish Maliko?

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/maliko-140-x26-pro-sandwich-carbon-stringer/

Look same as last year, maybe some minor modification to the nose but more changes in construction
it seems. Graphics are Heinous imo.

I think they are the same but with colourway changes. The grey of the Maliko looks awful. It's like someone got a can of spray primer out and threw it all over the board. Two years in a row like this suggests to me that Naish have given up on the race market and what they have is good enough for the market size on offer.

Considering the effort they used to go through to make the boards look good thats a plausible assumption. The paint scheme on this one is a bit of a WTF to me, it just looks weird and completely uninspired.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
^ yep. weird and inspired.

Looks very JP btw. Which is even weirder.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
in away i'm kind glad they didn't f*ck with the shape. This board just feel right to me and
I didn't feel there is anything I wanted to change about it which is very untypical for me.
But if there was ever a chance I was to buy this board, these colors pretty much killed it.

Two years in a row like this suggests to me that Naish have given up on the race market...

Your assumption make sense especially after I've discovered Naish axed their presence in
Maui. Both storefront and warehouse were shutdown.

I guess I'd better copy the design to Shape3D just in case I'll ever want to come back
to a 14 footer.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
in away i'm kind glad they didn't f*ck with the shape. This board just feel right to me and
I didn't feel there is anything I wanted to change about it which is very untypical for me.
But if there was ever a chance I was to buy this board, these colors pretty much killed it.

Two years in a row like this suggests to me that Naish have given up on the race market...

Your assumption make sense especially after I've discovered Naish axed their presence in

I guess I'd better copy the design to Shape3D just in case I'll ever want to come back
to a 14 footer.

To be honest, I’m not against brands finally getting away from the ridiculous 12 month r&d and launch cycle.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2018, 04:31:36 PM »

to a 14 footer.

I think you got it right the first time around with a 16' Maliko style board. When/if come the time to change either of my boards (Vapor and/or AceGt) that is likely the route I would follow shamelessly with your approval using your plans and a custom builder.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »

to a 14 footer.

I think you got it right the first time around with a 16' Maliko style board. When/if come the time to change either of my boards (Vapor and/or AceGt) that is likely the route I would follow shamelessly with your approval using your plans and a custom builder.

You're welcome to it anytime.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2018, 01:42:09 AM »

to a 14 footer.

Even the widths have been retained at 24, 26 & 28. Compared to fanatic and starboard, that's starting to appear old school.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2018, 06:34:39 AM »

to a 14 footer.

Even the widths have been retained at 24, 26 & 28. Compared to fanatic and starboard, that's starting to appear old school.

Compared to fanatic and starboard, that's starting to appear old school reassuring.
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »

to a 14 footer.

I can’t see Manca Notar and Annie Reikart competing on 24” wide Maliko, so I assume that Naish have given up on the idea of their pros paddling production boards. Expect to see the elites on 21.5” wide customs in the new easy-to-copy Naish livery for next season’s races...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »

You're welcome to it anytime.
[/quote]

Cheers
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2018, 02:25:57 PM »
does anyone truly know that the new Maliko overall shape has change from 2018?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
I saw a 404 dugout other day, Mt ching was on it and did anyone seen it?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 02:42:58 PM »
does anyone truly know that the new Maliko overall shape has change from 2018?

Judging by the 3D rendering on their website and the exactly the same volume for the shape
it safe to say the shape hasn't changed.
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »
I had a look at the 3D bottom and it looks like it has some concave and also looks like they went back to 2017 bottom.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal